Ben Stokes

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Ben Stokes

Postby D/L » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:46 am

Alviro Patterson wrote:...Too much fuss made about the lockergate incident, anyone who has played cricket at any level will realise it's a psychologically challenging sport and the odd flared temper is half expected. As long as it's not directed at a person or causes criminal damage then it shouldn't be an issue.

Of course, but I'd also remove one's future career from the list of targets.
D/L

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC.

Postby meninblue » Sun May 24, 2015 7:43 pm

92 runs followed by 101. Well played :clap. Now take a 6 fer :fight
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby Aidan11 » Sun May 24, 2015 8:27 pm

I forgot we had a thread dedicated to England's next future all-rounder.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby sussexpob » Sun May 24, 2015 9:17 pm

Aidan11 wrote:I forgot we had a thread dedicated to England's next future all-rounder.

All rounder? Batter and professional fielder.....
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun May 24, 2015 9:20 pm

Handy if his team mates could take his edges.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby sussexpob » Sun May 24, 2015 9:30 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Handy if his team mates could take his edges.

Indeed. 1/105 would have been a passable return then.....

In all seriousness, Stokes looks very far from being a test match bowler at the moment. The batter is guaranteed at least one buffet ball an over, he doesnt create pressure, lacks control.

Better hope he can still bat like this for a while
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun May 24, 2015 9:39 pm

I don't think Stokes could be picked as a bowler, but he's got a lot going for him. He's a hell of a bowler for a batter. It's tough to keep him on at 5rpo. Cook (maybe) should just give him wicket taking fields and live with the runs. He's had a lot of edges fly through the slips as Steely has tried to deal with the cost of the wickets.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby sussexpob » Sun May 24, 2015 9:47 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:I don't think Stokes could be picked as a bowler, but he's got a lot going for him. He's a hell of a bowler for a batter. It's tough to keep him on at 5rpo. Cook (maybe) should just give him wicket taking fields and live with the runs. He's had a lot of edges fly through the slips as Steely has tried to deal with the cost of the wickets.

If we needed a batter who can bowl, is Ali not the better of the two though? Long term, I just dont see the use of Stokes. He isnt a batter, not a top 6, and if he cant bowl in tests we in essence are picking probably the 40th best batter we could.

Lets not forget, this surface at Lords combined with an outfield that is very quick has produced a test where no batter should have concerns. His only other score of note was a classic "series over/Mark Butcher's now Bradman" Ashes effort that we have seen many a time.

Can anyone tell me he is a test match 6? Or looks good enough with the ball to be a reliable striker?

Maybe I am harsh, but he just doesnt convince me.

sussexpob

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun May 24, 2015 9:53 pm

He looks a good batter to me, in terms of the shots he plays. The question is (apart from how he will do in UAE etc) is what his match-head is like. How adaptable he is. Whether he can concentrate. If he can bat for a long time on a hot dday in Colombo...

That ton in Australia wasn't even a dead rubber. And it was in a series where most of the England batters were at least a bit scared of the ball.

And I like a player who is just a matchwinner. I can find a spot for mercurial talent in my side.

Moeen is England's best spinner. If not, leave him out.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby sussexpob » Sun May 24, 2015 9:58 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:That ton in Australia wasn't even a dead rubber. And it was in a series where most of the England batters were at least a bit scared of the ball.

Chasing 504, being reduced to 120-5, with ages left and being 2-0 down..... I think we can safely say that when Stokes came into bat, the series was over.

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Sun May 24, 2015 10:00 pm

And I like a player who is just a matchwinner. I can find a spot for mercurial talent in my side.

Assuming the likeliest possibility tomorrow is England dont win, have England won a match on the back of a Stokes performance? His only other century, as pointed out, was the dying breathes of a crushing, and his only 5 wicket haul came at the end of another hammering.

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Sun May 24, 2015 10:05 pm

In the last two England tests we have lost mind, he has bagged a pair in one, and gone for over 7 an over with the ball in the other....

sussexpob

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun May 24, 2015 10:06 pm

sussexpob wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:That ton in Australia wasn't even a dead rubber. And it was in a series where most of the England batters were at least a bit scared of the ball.

Chasing 504, being reduced to 120-5, with ages left and being 2-0 down..... I think we can safely say that when Stokes came into bat, the series was over.

A draw was possible. Though admittedly, they made no attempt to draw. A draw would have kept the Ashes alive.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun May 24, 2015 10:10 pm

sussexpob wrote:

Assuming the likeliest possibility tomorrow is England dont win, have England won a match on the back of a Stokes performance? His only other century, as pointed out, was the dying breathes of a crushing, and his only 5 wicket haul came at the end of another hammering.

Any chance England have of winning this game was made possible by Stokes' innings. It brought a win into view. Otherwise, a draw was the best they could do. That was the kind of effect KP had on results.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby sussexpob » Sun May 24, 2015 10:17 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:
sussexpob wrote:

Any chance England have of winning this game was made possible by Stokes' innings. It brought a win into view. Otherwise, a draw was the best they could do. That was the kind of effect KP had on results.

Or went a ways to neutralise his absolutely terrible effort with the ball.

sussexpob

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket