Ben Stokes

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Ben Stokes

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:58 am

Maybe someone told Stokes that the man posts under the name Sussexpob on CMS?
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:59 am

alfie wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:I don't have an opinion on the incident because I haven''t seen it and no one who wasn't there can have a view on the context of the events.

But while the investigation goes on I'm inclined to think he should go on leave from his England duties.

As alluded to above, the contrast with how KP was treated is unmissable. Pietersen still doesn't know why his England career was halted and then ended on the inclination of Strauss. Now Strauss says that the England management are there to support Ben. I hope the ECB re-evaluates its conduct in 2014 in this context.

I know you will never give up seeking Justice for KP , Arthur...but really ; this has got nothing in common with the decision to end his England career. Right or wrong , that was essentially a cricketing decision - not wickets and runs alone , perhaps ; but conduct and loyalties ...and certainly not a case I wish to argue again.
This is an unrelated incident : no different from any person getting into trouble while on his own time and not directly affecting his employer. Which does not , of course , mean that employer isn't entitled to act if they consider such behavior has either affected their ability to do the job , or reflected badly on the organization...
There is certainly a case for the ECB to consider. But it has nothing to do with KP.

Even the ECB said it wasn't a cricketing decision.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby sussexpob » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:04 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Maybe someone told Stokes that the man posts under the name Sussexpob on CMS?

:lmao

After seeing that right hook, I am going to watch my words now.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby KipperJohn » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:10 am

I know of at least 3 people locally of recent times who have died as result of just a single punch - that is how serious assault can become. Nobody has a right to take the law into their own hands. Walk away, don’t get involved, call the police - better still dont be daft enough to be there at that time in the morning in the middle of a series in the first place.
KipperJohn

Postby alfie » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:20 am

budgetmeansbudget wrote:Was that Alex Hales stood behind him at the end of the video?

No one really knows what happened before the fight started, but if the guy was threatening someone with a bottle then he deserved to be knocked out.

Stokes clearly lost it, but why he lost it is the big issue here.

Yuppie says he's a thug, but that only applies if he started it, not if he was reacting to a threat by another individual.

Actually a few issues here and really we are all trying to judge a bit too much from a few seconds of video. The fact that some other fellow was wielding a bottle suggests this was not a case of an unprovoked piece of aggro from Ben ; but we don't have a clue what else led up to the pictured action. Clearly Stokes is pickled as a newt else his clumsy attempts at punching the other fellow wouldn't have kept finding only air...unfortunately for him he eventually landed one. Which is likely to see him in trouble whatever else happened . But until the full facts of the case are brought out it is impossible for us , or the ECB , or anyone , to say whether this makes him a "thug" or just a bit of a fool for drink - or really to decide whether all this makes him a right and proper person to wear the three lions on his shirt...

I'd strip him of the vice captaincy immediately just for being stupid enough to get into this mess in the first place. And depending on what he and others tell the management he's likely to cop a serious fine. But provided he's fit to play I see no reason to penalise the rest of the team by stopping him playing...at least pending the outcome of the police investigations. But hey there I'm being all judgey now too :)

The Australian press have already started with the moral comparisons with Warner v Root etc and he can expect wind ups throughout the tour but that's his problem. I just hope he can play because the series will be the poorer for his absence.
alfie

Postby sussexpob » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:43 am

alfie wrote: Actually a few issues here and really we are all trying to judge a bit too much from a few seconds of video. The fact that some other fellow was wielding a bottle suggests this was not a case of an unprovoked piece of aggro from Ben ; but we don't have a clue what else led up to the pictured action.

I dont think it matters. How started it, what happened etc isnt really important when the video ends with a man with low hands being knocked out with a hook to the face. To me its pretty clear, Stokes or whoever he was potentially protecting is no longer in danger, it is him who chooses to continue, and he who is then the aggressor. As KJ said, and someone else yesterday, walk away at that point. He has the opportunity, the melee was over.

If, like it seems, he was trying to break up a guy from bottling someone, I have no problem with him flooring him to stop him. What happens before he gets himself back up is acceptable in my eyes, in the context of what I believe is self defence. You cant argue that though when you are following people who are no longer a threat and continuing to be violent. As I said yesterday, he throws about 10 unnecessary punches after he has ample opportunity to walk away.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:55 am

KipperJohn wrote:I know of at least 3 people locally of recent times who have died as result of just a single punch - that is how serious assault can become. Nobody has a right to take the law into their own hands. Walk away, don’t get involved, call the police - better still dont be daft enough to be there at that time in the morning in the middle of a series in the first place.

And a broken bottle tearing an important artery in the body also kills very quickly.
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:58 am

No one knows what went on, but the fight or flight instinct is very strong, and I'm not going to call him a thug right now for choosing fight.

The problem comes with choosing fight, in that it becomes very difficult to disengage until you have put your opponent out of action.
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby alfie » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:01 pm

sussexpob wrote:
alfie wrote: Actually a few issues here and really we are all trying to judge a bit too much from a few seconds of video. The fact that some other fellow was wielding a bottle suggests this was not a case of an unprovoked piece of aggro from Ben ; but we don't have a clue what else led up to the pictured action.

I dont think it matters. How started it, what happened etc isnt really important when the video ends with a man with low hands being knocked out with a hook to the face. To me its pretty clear, Stokes or whoever he was potentially protecting is no longer in danger, it is him who chooses to continue, and he who is then the aggressor. As KJ said, and someone else yesterday, walk away at that point. He has the opportunity, the melee was over.

If, like it seems, he was trying to break up a guy from bottling someone, I have no problem with him flooring him to stop him. What happens before he gets himself back up is acceptable in my eyes, in the context of what I believe is self defence. You cant argue that though when you are following people who are no longer a threat and continuing to be violent. As I said yesterday, he throws about 10 unnecessary punches after he has ample opportunity to walk away.

Oh I'm not arguing he's in some trouble - because of that final punch. But how much trouble will depend on the complete set of facts not just a bit of amateur video. We can rabbit on about it forever but it's up to the police and the courts not the Internet.
alfie

Postby KipperJohn » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:48 pm

We’re only discussing it becauua of Stokes. Sadly this sort of thing seems to be fairly common across the country -at least the police and CPS should be well versed in how to deal with it. Doubt if the same applies to the ECB.
KipperJohn

Postby sussexpob » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:59 pm

Piers Morgan is on Twitter claiming Stokes has told close friends that he was sticking up for two gay men being abused

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:52 pm

England suspend Ben and Hales, they will not be considered for selection in the foreseeable future apparently until after the police have concluded their investigation.

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:50 pm

Getting worse for Ben. The Express have now uploaded a video of him mimicking Katie Price's disabled son while seemingly blind drunk.....

sussexpob

Postby yuppie » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:13 pm

sussexpob wrote:Getting worse for Ben. The Express have now uploaded a video of him mimicking Katie Price's disabled son while seemingly blind drunk.....

On the same night? Or have the papers been holding onto these videos for such an occasion?
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby yuppie » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:16 pm

sussexpob wrote:England suspend Ben and Hales, they will not be considered for selection in the foreseeable future apparently until after the police have concluded their investigation.

Its pretty vague, is he going to Australia or not..........
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket