Ben Stokes

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Ben Stokes

Postby alfie » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:36 pm

You're probably right , KJ.
True the behavior isn't acceptable. Just that if none of the participants wanted to press charges against each other this seems like a lot of effort to maybe just end up levying a fine against one or two of them...one already being discharged , it seems.

If a public figure weren't involved I wonder if we'd have even heard about it ?
alfie

Postby KipperJohn » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:20 pm

alfie wrote:You're probably right , KJ.
True the behavior isn't acceptable. Just that if none of the participants wanted to press charges against each other this seems like a lot of effort to maybe just end up levying a fine against one or two of them...one already being discharged , it seems.

If a public figure weren't involved I wonder if we'd have even heard about it ?

Naturally we’re only discussing it here due to Stokes involvement- otherwise its reporting would be local. But a case to be answered nonetheless and, sadly, the sort which crops up with monotonous regularity.
KipperJohn

Postby Slipstream » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:10 am

I just can't believe Kai Barry and William O'Connor weren't called to the witness box. The Prosecution has now finished it's case.
Slipstream

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:48 am

Slipstream wrote:I just can't believe Kai Barry and William O'Connor weren't called to the witness box. The Prosecution has now finished it's case.

Exactly what I was thinking, unless the defence/prosecution thinks they might not come over as credible witnesses.
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby sussexpob » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:07 pm

Prosecution finished Wednesday. The defence didn't call them... Very very bizarre, but surely obvious why? As stated, the lads contradict fact in their newspaper article telling, maybe it was deemed that would look bad, or alternatively they change story and the prosecution brandish the article and ask why....either way, don't end well.

Hales neither...strange
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Slipstream » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:24 pm

I like this by Stokes' lawyer....

@MirrorAsp

Mr Cole again points to Alex Hales. He points to what looks like a kick in the footage and asks the jury to consider whether this could have caused the injury to Mr Hale. He says: "I ask you think about all that footage and think about it clearly."
Slipstream

Postby sussexpob » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:37 pm

Some of his lawyers points are clever, some of them seem very desperate. A scattergun presentation clawing at possible doubts to sow ...

If I didn't know the historical rate of failure for these types of crimes, nor the fact well known defendants usually get more leinent treatment, I'd rate stokes as being found guilty based on the arguments and facts as I see it.

But I think it's a non custodial sentence or non guilty verdict coming
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:26 pm

Strikes me as a case full of unreliable witnesses and unconvincing lawyers on both sides.

He's probably guilty of the charge but he might get off if the jury think there is some doubt, mainly due to the absence of CCTV and phone video evidence in certain critical places.

Wonder how serious this jury is about thrashing out the finer points or will they all want to get it done and dusted quickly. Might have some with holidays booked?!
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby Slipstream » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:46 am

Jury was sent out at 10.00
11.25 Court One has re-assembled as the jury have handed the judge a note.
They have asked for copies of uncontested witness statements and medical reports concerning Ryan Ali.
Slipstream

Postby captaincolly » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:50 pm

Verdict is not guilty!
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:55 pm

I guess jury decided there was not enough evidence for a guilty verdict of affray.

Perhaps the majority didn't think they would have felt threatened if present at the scene.

Either way, Stokes can go back to playing cricket without a criminal record, but hopefully with lessons learnt.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby Gingerfinch » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:22 pm

Will he now be available for the third test?
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby sussexpob » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:24 pm

Pending the ECB discipline that now starts work. They didn't progress anything as to not jeopardize his trial.

Great decision for society. Definitely want my kids to watch those videos and learn it's ok to act like that.

sussexpob

Postby Gingerfinch » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:28 pm

sussexpob wrote:Pending the ECB discipline that now starts work. They didn't progress anything as to not jeopardize his trial.

Great decision for society. Definitely want my kids to watch those videos and learn it's ok to act like that.

But he's been found not guilty?
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby sussexpob » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:30 pm

So was OJ Simpson.

sussexpob

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket