Big Three take over ICC?

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Big Three take over ICC?

Postby Aidan11 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:15 pm

Can't see it happening.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:17 pm

Though the idea of a two tier system from which the top tier can't be relegated should consign all this to the dustbin. Surely the other counties can't vote for this. Not even Sepp Blatter could come up with that idea.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby meninblue » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:50 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:How much do the assurances of the three boards mean Adi? After the way the BCCI acted over their tour to SA which was cut in half out of a whimsical self interest. I also remember the ECB having cricket taken off the list of events that had to be broadcast on free to air, on the understanding they wouldn't do so...

The series with India mean a lot. The advertising revenues are huge for broadcasters. Cricket is now a business.Fans have accepted match fixing the way scams happen in corporates.Life just moves on after all the rubbish. Also, series with Australia and England are probably sellers for broadcasters which will help the other playing country as well.The tour to SA was cut short due to BCCI being unhappy as mentioned in that CI article.My guess is that we will see more series between top nations and less between lesser teams.IPL etc will get less clashing series so the English players as well can participate in it.Similarly England and Australia will earn more than other nations.One can expect a change in broadcast strategy with a new business model.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:13 pm

I'd say that it is in the interest of the big three to keep competition strong for their own purposes. Of course, if you're Coke, it's good for business if you get rid of Pepsi. In sport, that's not the case.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby meninblue » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:57 pm

They will have to keep other lesser cricketing nations matches, but they can schedule the prime tournaments the way they want.BCCI will demand that no major cricketing action happen during IPL.Similarly Cricket Australia might want global cricket stars to be available for their Big Bash.If they have better power they can manipulate much better so that they remain more profitable.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby meninblue » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:33 pm

iirc NZC get 10% of the match fee being received by NZL players playing in IPL. No wonder they are happy.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/newzealand/ ... 11533.html

Martin Snedden, the New Zealand Cricket (NZC) director, has said that the possibility of the ICC handing over power to the Big Three - India, England and Australia - and allowing them to control the game's finances may not be a bad thing for world cricket.
meninblue

Postby meninblue » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:07 pm

This is what we have been saying and the NZC director feels same.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/newzealand/ ... 11533.html

The BCCI continues to generate the majority of the income for the ICC and though Snedden admitted that it will be more of the same, he said that cricket boards will have to embrace India's control.
meninblue

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:08 pm

Which already happens. But the two tiers?
Arthur Crabtree

Postby meninblue » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:22 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Which already happens. But the two tiers?

Arthur, we have seen it being used in domestic levels (Ranji Trophy, County ).It has advantages as well as disadvantages.
meninblue

Postby D/L » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:23 pm

clubcricketeradi wrote:...BCCI will demand that no major cricketing action happen during IPL...

I agree and they would probably get their way. That is a major reason why the proposal should be vigourously resisted. The BCCI, in their own self-interest, have already brought about a significant dumbing down of the great game.
D/L

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC.

Postby from_the_stands » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:33 pm

I know what they're going to do. Four teams will contest the top flight in Test cricket; Australia, England, India and the Rest of the World. They will each play 15 Test each per year; 2 at home, 3 away and visa-versa in the second year. The same number of ODI's and T20I's will also take place. The Rest of the World will consist of players from the remaining tiers of Test cricket.

Teams in tier 2; Bangladesh, New Zealand, Pakistan, South Africa, Sri Lanka, West Indies.
Teams in tier 3; Afghanistan, Ireland, Netherlands, Scotland, United Arab Emirates, Zimbabwe (four day cricket with fc status)
Teams in tier 4; Canada, Hong Kong, Kenya, Namibia, Nepal, Papua New Guinea (four day cricket, but no fc status)

Teams in tiers 2-4 play each other twice a year; once at home and one away (10 matches each per year), with promotion and relegation at the end of each calendar year. Same number of ODI's & T20I's.

A window is created for the IPL, the BBL and what ever the Poms are going to call theirs.

Throw in a 50 over World Cup every four years.

Job done.

:pint
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby mikesiva » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:18 pm

'Some of the officials from group of seven members, outside the Big Three, ESPNCricinfo spoke to admitted that they were concerned by development. "We have been talking between ourselves. Everyone is disturbed because the draft proposal will have greater repercussions on futures of members' cricket," a senior board official from the seven-member group of nations said. His greatest fear was the Australia-England-India triad were getting the majority of the funds while the G-7 were left with nothing much. "You need money to run the sport. They have proposed to make FTP optional. For such decisions you have to have everybody along. They are acting like UN Security Council where the Big Three have veto powers," the official said. The "position paper", as the 21-page document was titled, was revealed to the Full Members for the first time during an additional ICC Board meeting to discuss "financial matters" called suddenly on January 9 in Dubai. When the proposal was presented, it not only took the representatives of the rest of the seven Full Members by surprise but also caught unawares the top brass of the ICC, comprising of president Alan Isaac, Mustafa Kamal (vice-president) and Dave Richardson (chief executive).'

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci-icc/cont ... 11901.html

This is sounding more and more like a James Bond movie every day....
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby Making_Splinters » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:25 pm

Any introduction of a tier based system into cricket would destroy cricket for those outside the top tier. Would you really want to see your side playing no one but the Windies, New Zealand, Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. For those in the top tier it would be great, but so incredibly short sighted it beggers belief.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:27 pm

The top tier will be the top eight sides. The lower tier will be the next eight. Every four years the bottom of the top tier plays.... home and away in a play off. The future tours programme will be abandoned and the boards will negotiate their series directly.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Alviro Patterson » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:43 am

In principle a two tier of eight is a good idea for cricket as a whole, providing the eight teams play each other home and away in the 4 years. It gives associate members something to aim for whilst the lower full members have no option but to take test cricket seriously if they want to survive.

But the "Big Three" exempt from relegation for financial reasons makes no sense, you would think lucrative tours are continued to be played regardless of test ranking (i.e. The Ashes). Alternatively the proposal should have contained The ECB, BCCI and CA shall be allowed to play against each other on a biennial basis regardless of test ranking position, due to the matches being of a prestigious level." After all the revenue generated from these tours go to the boards, not the ICC.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket