Andy Flower sacked

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Andy Flower sacked

Postby sussexpob » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:36 pm

Telegraph reporting that Flower has been sacked by Downton.... BBC also reported on the live feed for Football transfer deadline day, but says resigned

Didnt get his way with KP?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricke ... ralia.html
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Re: Andy Flower sacked

Postby sussexpob » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:40 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/j ... cket-coach

Guardian reported sacked now. Seems he was called into a meeting yesterday and sacked.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby D/L » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:15 pm

sussexpob wrote:Telegraph reporting that Flower has been sacked by Downton.... BBC also reported on the live feed for Football transfer deadline day, but says resigned

Didnt get his way with KP?

No, that was probably just the press making things up. Disastrous Ashes series and the core of a previously successful test side (Pietersen included) coming to the end of the road, I'd imagine.

A sacking, of course, may entitle Flower to rather more compensation than a resignation would have.

The likely sceanrio was that Flower was asked to resign, worked out how much he was owed on the unexpired part of his contract, refused and was then sacked.
D/L

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC.

Postby mikesiva » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:45 pm

I'm sure the situation with KP had something to do with it as well....
:halo:
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby SaintPowelly » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:14 pm

He is remaining with the ECB and will work at Loughborough.
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby Aidan11 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:37 pm

Paul Collingwood next head coach. Nailed on.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby meninblue » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:44 pm

Seems sacked rather than leaving post.Not surprised that it came a day or two after the auction list for IPL was forwarded and the names of KP,Bell etc were put forward.ECB were in no way going to allow Andy's wishes of England players not being allowed to participate in IPL and concentrate in county cricket to improve their test match skills as suggested.Especially after BCCI,ECB and CA came up with the idea of restructuring ICC ; KP,Bell and other players who put their names in IPL auction list, it was obvious ECB had to back them and not Andy. Also, the results of this Australia tour have been very bad.Just like coaches highlight the World Cup and major trophy wins in their resumes, they should also take responsibility of any bad team performance.It cannot be one way.It will all be covered up as parting in a ncie way, but he has lost the plot due to KP and Bells as well as other test cricketers participation in IPL against his wishes as well as the serious drubbing received by Team England.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby from_the_stands » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:55 pm

Alistair Cook will be sacked next.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby Alviro Patterson » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:59 pm

from_the_stands wrote:Alistair Cook will be sacked next.

Hopefully Ashes Giles will follow suit and a more simpler coaching hierarchy is implemented.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby sussexpob » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:00 pm

clubcricketeradi wrote:Seems sacked rather than leaving post.Not surprised that it came a day or two after the auction list for IPL was forwarded and the names of KP,Bell etc were put forward.ECB were in no way going to allow Andy's wishes of England players not being allowed to participate in IPL and concentrate in county cricket to improve their test match skills as suggested.Especially after BCCI,ECB and CA came up with the idea of restructuring ICC ; KP,Bell and other players who put their names in IPL auction list, it was obvious ECB had to back them and not Andy. Also, the results of this Australia tour have been very bad.Just like coaches highlight the World Cup and major trophy wins in their resumes, they should also take responsibility of any bad team performance.It cannot be one way.It will all be covered up as parting in a ncie way, but he has lost the plot due to KP and Bells as well as other test cricketers participation in IPL against his wishes as well as the serious drubbing received by Team England.

Its an interesting point Adi, because I was suprised not only to see KP, but also Bell, seemingly being touted for IPL this year. It would seem that having any player in consideration for test cricket going out there this year was a serious breach of Flower's wishes and authority.

I could imagine that it came down to something like that; demands being made by a person who is stubborn to stick to his established wish and methods, yet no longer having the influence to push things through with his own perogative.

Obviously that is guess work, but I think what is clear is the fact that Flower no longer had that influence, simply because of the extent of defeat against the OZ this winter. With far reaching consquences and so many questions needing to be answered, ones that are very soul searching and potentially could destroy the team fabric as we know it, the guy in charge has to have the confidence of his stakeholders and peers to make that change happen. Its clear that Flower no longer had the backing, and if anything the further poor cricket being played after the test series in a strange way has caused a reaction towards Flower even from people who stuck by him... even though it had nothing to do with him.

I think we should take a moment to reflect on Flower's impact. I spend a lot of time getting into him, I dont like him as a personality, and above all he never showed to me (as stated before this series ) that he had proved he could pick players and develop them.... what he did do was take a good team and breifly turn them into a hungry and successful side, and for that we should thank him. We all lived through the 90's, being ranked number one even for a week seems something to savour.

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:02 pm

Alviro Patterson wrote:

Hopefully Ashes Giles will follow suit and a more simpler coaching hierarchy is implemented.

I think i would be "pass out on my feet" suprised if Giles isnt installed as head coach within a week

sussexpob

Postby meninblue » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:19 pm

sussexpob wrote:
clubcricketeradi wrote:Seems sacked rather than leaving post.Not surprised that it came a day or two after the auction list for IPL was forwarded and the names of KP,Bell etc were put forward.ECB were in no way going to allow Andy's wishes of England players not being allowed to participate in IPL and concentrate in county cricket to improve their test match skills as suggested.Especially after BCCI,ECB and CA came up with the idea of restructuring ICC ; KP,Bell and other players who put their names in IPL auction list, it was obvious ECB had to back them and not Andy. Also, the results of this Australia tour have been very bad.Just like coaches highlight the World Cup and major trophy wins in their resumes, they should also take responsibility of any bad team performance.It cannot be one way.It will all be covered up as parting in a ncie way, but he has lost the plot due to KP and Bells as well as other test cricketers participation in IPL against his wishes as well as the serious drubbing received by Team England.

Its an interesting point Adi, because I was suprised not only to see KP, but also Bell, seemingly being touted for IPL this year.It would seem that having any player in consideration for test cricket going out there this year was a serious breach of Flower's wishes and authority.

I could imagine that it came down to something like that; demands being made by a person who is stubborn to stick to his established wish and methods, yet no longer having the influence to push things through with his own perogative.

Obviously that is guess work, but I think what is clear is the fact that Flower no longer had that influence, simply because of the extent of defeat against the OZ this winter. With far reaching consquences and so many questions needing to be answered, ones that are very soul searching and potentially could destroy the team fabric as we know it, the guy in charge has to have the confidence of his stakeholders and peers to make that change happen. Its clear that Flower no longer had the backing, and if anything the further poor cricket being played after the test series in a strange way has caused a reaction towards Flower even from people who stuck by him... even though it had nothing to do with him.

I think we should take a moment to reflect on Flower's impact. I spend a lot of time getting into him, I dont like him as a personality, and above all he never showed to me (as stated before this series ) that he had proved he could pick players and develop them.... what he did do was take a good team and breifly turn them into a hungry and successful side, and for that we should thank him. We all lived through the 90's, being ranked number one even for a week seems something to savour.

Sussex,test players like Bell,Prior,Broad ,Swann were in last IPL list as well but unsold.However, the difference this time is it was made clear that the players had to play county cricket over IPL to get over this Ashes whitewash.Swann is not in this years list though. Having leaked information about this (IPL) or that (County) has now probably come back to bite Andy himself.Bit like digging hole and falling in it himself rather than those who were supposed to fall in it.Ego crushed publicly.

Yes, he should be thanked for whatever good he did to your team as follows :

Coaches.jpg
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby Alviro Patterson » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:50 pm

sussexpob wrote:
Alviro Patterson wrote:

I think i would be "pass out on my feet" suprised if Giles isnt installed as head coach within a week

Wishful thinking on my part but Gilo hasn't exactly filled me with confidence with some strange ODI selections and batting orders.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby SaintPowelly » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:03 pm

Safe to say he wasn't sacked, will remain on as a selector.
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby Durhamfootman » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:16 pm

About time too.

Impossible to oversee such a shambolic tour and remain in charge

will Giles be any better?

happy for Giles to take charge, though. Don't want Colly going anywhere near the England coaching set up until he's finished his job with Durham
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL