England end KP's international career.

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: England end KP's international career.

Postby Making_Splinters » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:59 pm

I imagine England are hoping that KP doesn't play for Surrey next season. If he goes away and scores bucket loads of runs in the LVCC while the new players flounder, they are going to look a little silly.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby bigfluffylemon » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:48 pm

Wow. Australia's victory over England is complete. Three key players in Trott, Swann and Pietersen all had their careers prematurely terminated, and the coach too.

There can be no cricketing reason for KP's dismissal. This must be personality. But this is confirmation, if ever we needed it, that a brief golden period for England is over. We England fans have got used to success over the last four or five years, and KP has usually been at the forefront of that success.

So long, KP, and thanks. It's never been dull.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby GGAS » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:00 am

Making_Splinters wrote:I imagine England are hoping that KP doesn't play for Surrey next season. If he goes away and scores bucket loads of runs in the LVCC while the new players flounder, they are going to look a little silly.

This is what I was thinking. It's going to look so bad if he's averaging 50+ in the CC and our middle order still can't buy a run.
A man convinced against his will is a man of the same opinion still.

Fantasy Leagues:
IPL 4
2011 British Open
2011 Pak vs SL Tests
2011-12 SA vs SL Tests
2012 SL vs Pak ODIs
2012 Eng vs Aus ODIs
2013 SA vs NZ combined
2013 Oz vs WI ODIs
2014 Big Bash League
2013-14 Premier League [external]
2014 WI-Bang combined
2018 Bangladesh Tri Series
2018 Football World Cup
2018 England vs India Tests
2019 USPGA Championship
GGAS

Postby GarlicJam » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:04 am

bigfluffylemon wrote:Wow. Australia's victory over England is complete. Three key players in Trott, Swann and Pietersen all had their careers prematurely terminated, and the coach too.

Good point. Before the Ashes, if you had asked Lehmann (say) who in the England team would he like to see the end of, those three would be in the top five along with Cook and Anderson, who both had tours to forget.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby backfootpunch » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:14 am

i cant see the sense in singling out one person when pretty much everyone bar broad and stokes had a horror show of a series

especially when this player was the second highest run scorer in the series and when there isnt really anyone who is pushing to replace him

an england batting line up without trott and kp looks very frail to me
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

Postby Alviro Patterson » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:39 am

Making_Splinters wrote:I imagine England are hoping that KP doesn't play for Surrey next season. If he goes away and scores bucket loads of runs in the LVCC while the new players flounder, they are going to look a little silly.

Not really, Mark Ramprakash scored a shed load of runs in 2009 and there was widespread calls to play him at The Oval. England resisted the calls and gave Jonathan Trott his test debut.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby bigfluffylemon » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:52 am

Alviro Patterson wrote:

Not really, Mark Ramprakash scored a shed load of runs in 2009 and there was widespread calls to play him at The Oval. England resisted the calls and gave Jonathan Trott his test debut.

The difference there is that Ramps was never a world-class international batsman. For him, shedloads of runs in domestic cricket never transferred to international level. Whereas if KP shows form at domestic level, the selectors and the public will know that he would be able to transfer that form to the international arena.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby Gingerfinch » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:37 am

Scoring runs in the CC is irrelevant, as he hasn't been sacked for cricketing reasons.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:19 am

Dr Robert wrote:Scoring runs in the CC is irrelevant, as he hasn't been sacked for cricketing reasons.

Exactly, its got nothing to do with his ability, his current form or his potential to score runs at test level in the future. The powers that be are using this opportunity, after the worst England tour in history, to do something they wanted to do a while back.

I can't remember anyone in the past who has been specifically told that they won't play for England again, dropped unceremonioulsly maybe, but told that you ain't playing again ever? He must have ticked off a load of people over the years, and his cumulative misdemeanours have finally outweighed his potential to score runs for England.
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby from_the_stands » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:19 am

This is a bit of a win-win-win-win-lose situation. Members of the England team win because they've seen the back of KP. A young up and coming player wins because he'll get KP's place. Opposition international teams win because England will now be a weaker team. And KP wins because he can now open himself up to various offers around the world, especially the IPL. The team loses because he's one of their best players. This will be the biggest cricket story of the year.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby D/L » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:49 am

from_the_stands wrote:This is a bit of a win-win-win-win-lose situation. Members of the England team win because they've seen the back of KP. A young up and coming player wins because he'll get KP's place. Opposition international teams win because England will now be a weaker team. And KP wins because he can now open himself up to various offers around the world, especially the IPL. The team loses because he's one of their best players. This will be the biggest cricket story of the year.

Will England really be a weaker team? Pietersen has been more of a liability than an asset on the field for some time now and a definite liability off the field for ages.

Pietersen had become too "high maintenance" to justify his place and it seems that pragmatism, albeit belatedly and dressed up in weasel words, has finally made the management do the right thing.
D/L

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC.

Postby Aidan11 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:10 pm

I think there'll be more fallout to come.

Sneers Morgan has been laying into Cook on Twitter. All his followers have followed suit.

Wouldn't be surprised if Cook resigned as skipper.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby SaintPowelly » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:11 pm

Notts, Hants and England all want(ed) rid of him, yet im sure EVERYONE else is the problem.
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby D/L » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:15 pm

Aidan11 wrote:I think there'll be more fallout to come.

Sneers Morgan has been laying into Cook on Twitter. All his followers have followed suit.

Wouldn't be surprised if Cook resigned as skipper.

I'd espect Cook to have a little more about him than to resign over some sniping by the likes of Morgan.

Any road up, with Pietersen gone, his task as captain (the dressing room and other off field stuff) should now be considerably easier.
D/L

Postby D/L » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:20 pm

Interestingly (perhaps), on the wireless today, they were speaking to the Chairman of a cricket lover's society which Richard Blakey (ex Yorkshire and England keeper) had been addressing yesterday evening.

Apparently, Blakey asked for a show of hands amongst about 150 members as to whether Pietersen's sacking was a good thing for the future of English cricket and approximately 70% indicated that it was.

The society was based in Lancashire though, so this must come with a caveat. They can't be wrong all the time, though.
D/L

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket