Cricketer Of The Generation

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Cricketer Of The Generation

Postby meninblue » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:32 am

Making_Splinters wrote:
clubcricketeradi wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:
clubcricketeradi wrote:I am surprised that Warne was in contention for that award.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/1998/ ... 97968.html

Two of Australia's greatest cricketers - bowler Shane Warne and batsman Mark Waugh - have been involved in a betting scandal that has plunged the game into of one of its greatest crises of the modern era.

The Australian Cricket Board confirmed last night that it had fined Waugh and Warne for providing information to an Indian bookmaker during Australia's tour of Sri Lanka in 1994.

Slightly overstated.

Personally i don't like players who maintain a contact with bookies. I hope that what i read is not true.

It's completely true, however, to describe it as one of the greatest crises of the modern era is hyperbole.

Yes, i agree that worse things in that criteria have happened in cricket.Especially the spot fixing in test series in England (Salman/Asif/Amir) where they did more than passing information to bookies, IPL spot fixing and some reported match fixing etc.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby Making_Splinters » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:38 am

clubcricketeradi wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:
clubcricketeradi wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:
clubcricketeradi wrote:I am surprised that Warne was in contention for that award.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/1998/ ... 97968.html

Two of Australia's greatest cricketers - bowler Shane Warne and batsman Mark Waugh - have been involved in a betting scandal that has plunged the game into of one of its greatest crises of the modern era.

The Australian Cricket Board confirmed last night that it had fined Waugh and Warne for providing information to an Indian bookmaker during Australia's tour of Sri Lanka in 1994.

Slightly overstated.

Personally i don't like players who maintain a contact with bookies. I hope that what i read is not true.

It's completely true, however, to describe it as one of the greatest crises of the modern era is hyperbole.

Yes, i agree that worse things in that criteria have happened in cricket.Especially the spot fixing in test series in England (Salman/Asif/Amir) where they did more than passing information to bookies, IPL spot fixing and some reported match fixing etc.

Warne's transgressions, while not to be written off, did not affect the game, or cricket in any way. It just made some people some money and hence has been largely forgotten about, perhaps understandably.

Getting the thread some what back on track. Kallis is unargubaly the greatest cricketer of his generation, no one comes close to him when we actually use the term cricketer holistically.

Tendulkar may have made more runs, Warne taken more wickets but over 13,000 test runs at 55 and nearly 300 wickets at 32 are the statistics or arguably the greatest cricketer ever, not just of his generation.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby meninblue » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:36 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:
Warne's transgressions, while not to be written off, did not affect the game, or cricket in any way. It just made some people some money and hence has been largely forgotten about, perhaps understandably.

Getting the thread some what back on track. Kallis is unargubaly the greatest cricketer of his generation, no one comes close to him when we actually use the term cricketer holistically.

Tendulkar may have made more runs, Warne taken more wickets but over 13,000 test runs at 55 and nearly 300 wickets at 32 are the statistics or arguably the greatest cricketer ever, not just of his generation.

Apart from Kallis all round records over a big career, he was superbly fit cricketer.Even in his last years he was bowling around 140 kph, that too after suffering some shoulder injury a couple of years back and some other injuries throughout his career.I haven't seen any other cricketer take as much workload as him and be as successful.His all round records and fitness is unmatchable. :salute
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby D/L » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:43 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:...Getting the thread some what back on track. Kallis is unargubaly the greatest cricketer of his generation, no one comes close to him when we actually use the term cricketer holistically.

Yes, whatever cricinfo may say, and forgetting the rather meaningless "generation" thing, no one has had a more impressive international career than Kallis since Sobers retired.

Not even Boycott.
D/L

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:41 pm

clubcricketeradi wrote:It's completely true, however, to describe it as one of the greatest crises of the modern era is hyperbole.

The bookie incident reflects badly on Warne, and the Aussie board who tried to bury the affair. Match fixing is the biggest enemy of any sport, and while Warne didn't do that, he did engage with an illegal betting group. But the other biggest scandal of our era on the pitch, in my opinion, is the allowance of some bowlers to throw. In my view, Warne is the biggest wicket taker in Test history (and a successful ODI player) and is an obvious candidate for the player of this era. But if one of the categories was who has played the game without damaging it, then Warne has to lose ground.

In an era when no one player dominated, the selection of one individual is fairly pointless. SRT is a good choice among many.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby meninblue » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:06 pm

I guess cricinfo chose the best bowler, the best batsman and best all rounder and asked the jury to select the best cricketer of generation. :hmmm
meninblue

Postby braveneutral » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:03 am

What about the best WK? Matt Prior anyone?
Asia Cup 2012 guru
SA vs Oz 2011 combined guru
SA vs Bangladesh Tests guru
NZ vs WI Tests guru
2014 French Open guru
T20 Blast 2014 guru
India vs WI ODIs 2014 guru
2016 French Open guru
2016 Wimbledon guru
2016 RL50 Cup guru
Premier League Final Placings Prediction League 2016/7 guru
England v SA ODIs 2017 guru
Guru.

D/L wrote:Words fail me for once.

17/04/17 - 'The day that history was made'

20/04/17 - Better than Bolt.
braveneutral

Team(s) Supported: Northants amongst others.

I suppose.

At times.

Postby Gingerfinch » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:06 am

braveneutral wrote:What about the best WK? Matt Prior anyone?

He was in for the best batsman award :P

Actually Gilly would be in the top 10 over that period. Players that is.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby braveneutral » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:07 am

Dr Robert wrote:
braveneutral wrote:What about the best WK? Matt Prior anyone?

He was in for the best batsman award :P

Actually Gilly would be in the top 10 over that period. Players that is.

Must have been a tough one between him and Tendulkar.
Asia Cup 2012 guru
SA vs Oz 2011 combined guru
SA vs Bangladesh Tests guru
NZ vs WI Tests guru
2014 French Open guru
T20 Blast 2014 guru
India vs WI ODIs 2014 guru
2016 French Open guru
2016 Wimbledon guru
2016 RL50 Cup guru
Premier League Final Placings Prediction League 2016/7 guru
England v SA ODIs 2017 guru
Guru.

D/L wrote:Words fail me for once.

17/04/17 - 'The day that history was made'

20/04/17 - Better than Bolt.
braveneutral

Team(s) Supported: Northants amongst others.

I suppose.

At times.

Previous

Return to International Cricket