Is Peter Moores the right man for the England Job

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Is Peter Moores the right man for the England Job

Postby sussexpob » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:39 am

My biggest wonder of this maybe that the ecb even took moores as a final nail in kps coffin. His reselection is completely out the question with the current coach
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:43 am

Hard to believe that the ECB's most crucial criterion in the interviews was an unwillingness to work with a particular player! Even one as effortlessly destructive as Pietersen.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby sussexpob » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:14 am

It's unlikely but a very convenient result
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby Making_Splinters » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:34 am

sussexpob wrote:My biggest wonder of this maybe that the ecb even took moores as a final nail in kps coffin. His reselection is completely out the question with the current coach

His reselection is completely out of the question due to Downton and Cook, not the Coach who ever that might be. Moores has repeatedly stated that he doesn't hold any grudges and I remember seeing him and KP having an extended chat at OT a few years back.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby D/L » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:42 am

Athertonian wrote:
dan08 wrote:
D/L wrote:As far as anyone can gather, it was only Pietersen with whom Moores had a problem in his first spell as coach. Given what we've seen from Pietersen since, I doubt any player would hold that against him.

I'd expect to see three or four new faces in the team before the end of the summer.

Swann too. From his autobiography:
[see original post above}

I too have Swann's autobiography. These are extracts from chapter 12: Mutiny in the Camp that convey Swann's overall attitude to Moores. I haven't just cherry picked! It wasn't only KP who had problems.

Several months earlier I would never have guessed this situation could have arisen because I felt Moores was doing a fairly decent job. But the second that Kev was made captain the previous August something had to give because captain and coach were so diametrically opposed. …

…. You could tell that the two of them [KP & Moores] didn’t like each other, that was fairly transparent, and there were others similarly at odds with the coach, but within a dressing room you always get people that don’t get on particularly well. From my perspective, I felt a bit sorry for Mooresy because undoubtedly it was he who got me back onto the international scene, and he’d done a fairly good job. Sure, there were things he did as England coach that I did not agree with whatsoever, like that crazy post-match training in Napier, but I liked him as a bloke; his commitment and energy towards the job could never be questioned, and my feeling was that he had been hard done by. Yet Kev was adamant that Moores was a county coach who could not cut the mustard at the top level. When a captain goes renegade like that, I am not sure how you should handle it, but it was probably for the best that they changed the captain as well, because out of all the disharmony we ended up with the right man as captain of England, and a world-class coach as well. Perhaps the ECB saw the ruck as a bit of a watershed moment and moved to draw a line beneath the whole affair. There was probably quite a strong element within the ECB who would rather have had Andrew Strauss as captain anyway, and his appointment as leader for the tour of the West Indies was equally well received by the players.

Much of what we read in players' biographies should be taken with a pinch of salt. Calling everybody "great blokes" won't sell the book. Many of these books more properly belong in the fiction section of libraries.
D/L

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:17 pm

So we know Flower is still around. Cook, in spite of saying that we had a fresh start, went on to say that he goes to Flower when he needs advice.

The press conference merits some analysis. It was a disaster. If I can get the old brain up and running, I may have a go.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby hopeforthebest » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:43 pm

A lot of compliments for Asley Giles from Cook and Downton with the caveat that he's young and less experienced as a coach than Moores. His tenure as one day coach was almost as long as that of Moores in his first stint as England coach. I think Flower was about the same age as Giles when he was made acting coach.

I'm sure Ashely will be thrilled to hear these accolades as he looks for another job.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby SaintPowelly » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:46 pm

hopeforthebest wrote:A lot of compliments for Asley Giles from Cook and Downton with the caveat that he's young and less experienced as a coach than Moores. His tenure as one day coach was almost as long as that of Moores in his first stint as England coach. I think Flower was about the same age as Giles when he was made acting coach.

I'm sure Ashely will be thrilled to hear these accolades as he looks for another job.

Giles can have no complaints, the ODI team looked awful under him.
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby hopeforthebest » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:03 pm

SaintPowelly wrote:
hopeforthebest wrote:A lot of compliments for Asley Giles from Cook and Downton with the caveat that he's young and less experienced as a coach than Moores. His tenure as one day coach was almost as long as that of Moores in his first stint as England coach. I think Flower was about the same age as Giles when he was made acting coach.

Giles can have no complaints, the ODI team looked awful under him.

As Cook said Flower's ODI team.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

hopeforthebest

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:05 pm

My hunch is that Giles was never in charge of the limited overs sides.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby hopeforthebest » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:06 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:My hunch is that Giles was never in charge of the limited overs sides.

This from Cook.

"The idea behind it was good, to keep Andy involved. He couldn't have carried on as he was. We won some good cricket - India and the Ashes - so it did work in that sense but it is very hard to manage that situation because, as Ashley would say, he probably found his hands were tied. It was quite a big change. It was an experiment worth trying, but if you can find a guy with the energy to do all three forms it's a better way forward.

"Giles is a very good guy and was desperate to become England coach. Unfortunately you have to make tough decisions as the leader of any company and Paul [Downton] has made that tough decision. I don't think you can say the players let Ashley down. We all got behind him, liked his methods, worked hard and enjoyed working under him. Peter has 16 years of coaching experience and has been successful and Paul thought it would be wrong to ignore that"

hopeforthebest

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:22 pm

So why did they ignore it when they appointed Ashley?
Arthur Crabtree

Postby sussexpob » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:06 am

I don't think Giles has cause to worry. The selection of Moores as coach rather proves that the ECB don't really care about appointing damaged goods. They have no doubt said to him "take the party line on this one and remain in the party" wink wink nudge nudge.

The way Downie works, Giles will probably remain somewhere inside the setup, and will get the England job next after doing nothing at all to expand on his previous qualifications.

sussexpob

Postby SaintPowelly » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:53 am

Wasn't Peter Moores in charge when we had the Darren Pattinson fiasco ??
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby braveneutral » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:59 am

SaintPowelly wrote:Wasn't Peter Moores in charge when we had the Darren Pattinson fiasco ??

Shame that he couldn't be around to lure James Pattinson over.
Asia Cup 2012 guru
SA vs Oz 2011 combined guru
SA vs Bangladesh Tests guru
NZ vs WI Tests guru
2014 French Open guru
T20 Blast 2014 guru
India vs WI ODIs 2014 guru
2016 French Open guru
2016 Wimbledon guru
2016 RL50 Cup guru
Premier League Final Placings Prediction League 2016/7 guru
England v SA ODIs 2017 guru
Guru.

D/L wrote:Words fail me for once.

17/04/17 - 'The day that history was made'

20/04/17 - Better than Bolt.
braveneutral

Team(s) Supported: Northants amongst others.

I suppose.

At times.

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket