Is Peter Moores the right man for the England Job

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Is Peter Moores the right man for the England Job

Postby sussexpob » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:37 pm

Interesting that Farbrace has joined as "assistant coach", whatever that means. I do like the idea that a guy who has won more One Day Competitions in two months in charge of Sri Lanka than anyone in England should be brought in as an assistant.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby hopeforthebest » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:38 pm

Looking at the Lancashire team, Moores must be so grateful to Paul Downton for offering an escape route. At least when "the inexperienced" Giles left Warks he left the team in good condition.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby KipperJohn » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:14 pm

Reading some quotes from Cook and Farbrace I'm beginning to wonder if England are going to turn into an old boys reunion club.

A settled 'all mates together' squad won't necessarily win matches - someone needs to take them out of their comfort zone - oh he's gone!
KipperJohn

Postby D/L » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:13 pm

Better "all mates together" than a bloody great fly in the ointment. Yes, he's gone. Not before time and let's be grateful.
D/L

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC.

Postby andy » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:58 pm

sussexpob wrote:Interesting that Farbrace has joined as "assistant coach", whatever that means. I do like the idea that a guy who has won more One Day Competitions in two months in charge of Sri Lanka than anyone in England should be brought in as an assistant.

the way that Farbrace has left sri lanka is disgusting, and has left the sri lankan side in a bit of a mess going into a tough tour of england and ireland..
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby Slipstream » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:05 am

The selectors' job should be a full time one. Are Newell, Fraser and Whitaker going to be able to cover all the county games when Newall and Fraser are coaches of their county. Do they expect to only watch players playing in games against their county?

Here is what one is expected to do

https://www.pitchvision.com/cricketjob- ... lector-ecb
Slipstream

Postby yuppie » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:08 am

cricketfan90 wrote:
sussexpob wrote:Interesting that Farbrace has joined as "assistant coach", whatever that means. I do like the idea that a guy who has won more One Day Competitions in two months in charge of Sri Lanka than anyone in England should be brought in as an assistant.

the way that Farbrace has left sri lanka is disgusting, and has left the sri lankan side in a bit of a mess going into a tough tour of england and ireland..

I had read somewhere that he had not been paid is full wages, and that he was only on a 6 month probabtionary contract, and SL did the same thing to Yorkshire when they got him. So SL cant be to angry
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:44 am

I think it's a bit disappointing Farbrace turned his back on Sri Lanka after they gave him an opportunity in international cricket. I'd guess the probationary period was there in case either party found the job didn't suit them, rather than being an escape route should they get a better offer.

This is a new role, and I'd guess he's there to give Moores time off, on the Pietersen principle; that the schedule of international cricket is too intense for a single person to be available for all games.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby D/L » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:20 am

Strange to see the words "Pietersen" and "principle" in the same sentence, let alone next to each other. Plenty of players, of course, make themselves available for all games and many coaches have been in charge for all the formats.

Sri Lanka cannot reasonably complain if someone whose services they had failed to secure moves on to another job.
D/L

Postby braveneutral » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:45 am

D/L wrote:Strange to see the words "Pietersen" and "principle" in the same sentence, let alone next to each other. Plenty of players, of course, make themselves available for all games and many coaches have been in charge for all the formats.

Sri Lanka cannot reasonably complain if someone whose services they had failed to secure moves on to another job.

I don't think they had failed to secure his services? Regardless of whether he was in a probationary period or not, he would still be under contract?
Asia Cup 2012 guru
SA vs Oz 2011 combined guru
SA vs Bangladesh Tests guru
NZ vs WI Tests guru
2014 French Open guru
T20 Blast 2014 guru
India vs WI ODIs 2014 guru
2016 French Open guru
2016 Wimbledon guru
2016 RL50 Cup guru
Premier League Final Placings Prediction League 2016/7 guru
England v SA ODIs 2017 guru
Guru.

D/L wrote:Words fail me for once.

17/04/17 - 'The day that history was made'

20/04/17 - Better than Bolt.
braveneutral

Team(s) Supported: Northants amongst others.

I suppose.

At times.

Postby D/L » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:16 am

braveneutral wrote:
D/L wrote:Strange to see the words "Pietersen" and "principle" in the same sentence, let alone next to each other. Plenty of players, of course, make themselves available for all games and many coaches have been in charge for all the formats.

I don't think they had failed to secure his services? Regardless of whether he was in a probationary period or not, he would still be under contract?

I don't know all the details, bn. I'm just assuming that no contract has been broken here. Perhaps the ECB have bought out any remaining period if there was one. This would have to have been agreed with the authorities in Sri Lanka, though.
D/L

Postby braveneutral » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:38 am

D/L wrote:
braveneutral wrote:

I don't know all the details, bn. I'm just assuming that no contract has been broken here. Perhaps the ECB have bought out any remaining period if there was one. This would have to have been agreed with the authorities in Sri Lanka, though.

Yes perhaps. From my understanding he resigned knowing that he was going to get this and the frustrations directed at him are that he upped and left as opposed to any contractual issue I suppose.
Asia Cup 2012 guru
SA vs Oz 2011 combined guru
SA vs Bangladesh Tests guru
NZ vs WI Tests guru
2014 French Open guru
T20 Blast 2014 guru
India vs WI ODIs 2014 guru
2016 French Open guru
2016 Wimbledon guru
2016 RL50 Cup guru
Premier League Final Placings Prediction League 2016/7 guru
England v SA ODIs 2017 guru
Guru.

D/L wrote:Words fail me for once.

17/04/17 - 'The day that history was made'

20/04/17 - Better than Bolt.
braveneutral

Team(s) Supported: Northants amongst others.

I suppose.

At times.

Postby Alviro Patterson » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:53 am

yuppie wrote:
cricketfan90 wrote:

I had read somewhere that he had not been paid is full wages, and that he was only on a 6 month probabtionary contract, and SL did the same thing to Yorkshire when they got him. So SL cant be to angry

:thumb

Was a big blow to lose Farby, but at the same time a man of his calibre was never going to be a County 2nd XI coach for long.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby hopeforthebest » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:51 am

From the Mail:

" England will be 24/7 for Peter Moores ... not just a job, but a passion "

If that's true then he's definitely the wrong man for the job as in my experience such people expect others to see it the same and are less than understanding of those who don't.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby Gingerfinch » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:12 am

hopeforthebest wrote:From the Mail:

" England will be 24/7 for Peter Moores ... not just a job, but a passion "

If that's true then he's definitely the wrong man for the job as in my experience such people expect others to see it the same and are less than understanding of those who don't.

Don't know about that? Some may, but a man with a half open mind, will see the differences.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket