Shut your eyes and think of England.

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Shut your eyes and think of England.

Postby meninblue » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:47 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Perhaps Flintoff could have benefited from the sail lesson out in the WI, so maybe there's something in it.

:lmao
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby Slipstream » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:50 am

Two items that caught my eye ...

Jordan's death bowling is integral in England's T20 attack but on Friday he was again left out of the one-day squad that will take on West Indies in March.
Now he wants to use these games as a springboard to challenge for a place in England's side for all formats.

‘In the last innings I had, Cookie spoke to us, “we’re going to try to bat all day here”,’ said Duckett. ‘That isn’t my game'
Slipstream

Postby meninblue » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:31 am

Perhaps thats a new way of getting picnic sponsored by ECB under name of leadership training. ;)
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:58 pm

The Telegraph (apparently) asserts that the England coaches 'confronted' the umpire on the pitch yesterday. Maybe it's time they stepped back and stopped being so overbearing. Maybe issue some words to sooth the aggravation caused by yesterday's criticisms.

As the final balls of the innings dribbled away in a flurry of mistimed shots, England’s frustration bubbled over. Shamshuddin had a poor game overall, denying England a couple of plumb lbws during when they bowled, and coach Trevor Bayliss and assistant coach Paul Farbrace both confronted him as he left the field. Captain Eoin Morgan continued the broadside in his post-match press conference.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby GGAS » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:45 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:The Telegraph (apparently) asserts that the England coaches 'confronted' the umpire on the pitch yesterday. Maybe it's time they stepped back and stopped being so overbearing. Maybe issue some words to sooth the aggravation caused by yesterday's criticisms.

As the final balls of the innings dribbled away in a flurry of mistimed shots, England’s frustration bubbled over. Shamshuddin had a poor game overall, denying England a couple of plumb lbws during when they bowled, and coach Trevor Bayliss and assistant coach Paul Farbrace both confronted him as he left the field. Captain Eoin Morgan continued the broadside in his post-match press conference.

It's all getting very Premier League. Not good to see. Even if the decisions were poor.
A man convinced against his will is a man of the same opinion still.

Fantasy Leagues:
IPL 4
2011 British Open
2011 Pak vs SL Tests
2011-12 SA vs SL Tests
2012 SL vs Pak ODIs
2012 Eng vs Aus ODIs
2013 SA vs NZ combined
2013 Oz vs WI ODIs
2014 Big Bash League
2013-14 Premier League [external]
2014 WI-Bang combined
2018 Bangladesh Tri Series
2018 Football World Cup
2018 England vs India Tests
2019 USPGA Championship
GGAS

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:26 am

Reading Cook's interview with Sky again reveals his introverted solipsism and his sense of entitlement that has been apparent over the years. Ironic when Pietersen was ominously criticised by the ECB for setting a personal goal as an ambition- scoring 10000 Test runs- (though Cook later said the same thing). Cook reflects on the sacking of Kevin Pietersen after a huge defeat which he and Andy Flower led, the trashing of KP's reputation and the dragging of his name through the mud, the leaking of a personal file, the savaging by the English cricket press-hounds, and the sudden loss of livelihood, and decides it made himself (Cook) look bad!

“I felt like it wasn’t handled particularly well by the ECB. I know I was the lightning rod for it, every person thought it was my decision. I felt I bore the brunt of that, unfairly in my personal opinion.

“As much power as you get as England captain, you don’t have the ultimate decision on that sort of thing. Yes, I was part of the decision-making, as six or seven other people were."

“I felt a little bit let down by the ECB by that one period, where they kind of let me out to dry a little bit."

He even admits he was part of the decision making process, rather than just doing nothing as KP thought, like Pilate. And in fact, he didn't take most of the criticism from the public, Paul Downton did, and Andy Flower by more long term armchair critics. The press actually did nothing other than support Cook, pretty obsequiously in my opinion. That whole 'steely' description got introduced. The press did anything but hold Cook to account for this decision.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:51 am

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/ ... t-39914528

An example of how rigorously Cook was held to account for the debacle of Sydney.

And the ECB didn't hang him out to dry.... Flower and Downton contacted critics and asked them to get onside. As Swann revealed.

As ever, the best job Strauss has done at the ECB is to get everyone to stop talking and revealing what they think. Perhaps this tells us why.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby sussexpob » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:33 pm

Does Strauss hold such power over the press that he can make them write such consistently apologetic and positive words about a person who's failures have come at very consistent frequencies?

Honestly, I am clueless reading the press as to why no one is really getting the knife in, or at the very least front up and acknowledge some of Cooks long list of failures. Is it because he is the poster child of a classic middle England posh upbringing, a return to such type after two saffers, a yorkie and an asian? It for me at least plays a part, reading about how much of a nice, smart and humble family guy he is all the time seems to be indicative of acceptance by type.

These comments really don't make sense, not only becAuse they are so untrue, but because they show a contradiction in terms.

On one hand he is keen to point out he was part of the decision making process on some narcissistic jaunt because he seems jealous Strauss, Downton and flower are hogging the credit pie, but he also wants to distance himself from non existent criticism as an excuse for his failure to seize the day after.

This is pretty low behaviour. Actions for a cowardly person who seems to have gotten used to being pamper in the media, and feels he can use his goodwill to create a narrative of positivity on all fronts of his abilities.

I used to think he was vanilla. A big beige guy who would make people fall asleep over a beer in minutes, and who would probably struggle to register a score on a character test.....you the more time passes, the more you think his attitude of self indulgence is far more destructive.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby rich1uk » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:17 am

root, stokes and broad have all been interviewed regarding the captaincy

one interesting thing was that they intend to make a decision on the captaincy before the ODI tour of the WI in a couple of weeks time

are they doing that because they dont want lots of questions hanging over root and stokes during that tour or are they thinking about going back to a single captain across all formats ?
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby braveneutral » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:04 pm

And buttler got a phone call.
Asia Cup 2012 guru
SA vs Oz 2011 combined guru
SA vs Bangladesh Tests guru
NZ vs WI Tests guru
2014 French Open guru
T20 Blast 2014 guru
India vs WI ODIs 2014 guru
2016 French Open guru
2016 Wimbledon guru
2016 RL50 Cup guru
Premier League Final Placings Prediction League 2016/7 guru
England v SA ODIs 2017 guru
Guru.

D/L wrote:Words fail me for once.

17/04/17 - 'The day that history was made'

20/04/17 - Better than Bolt.
braveneutral

Team(s) Supported: Northants amongst others.

I suppose.

At times.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:45 pm

Buttler's not definitely in the side.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:47 pm

Interesting that Cook says he didn't want Pietersen back for the tour of India in 2012, even though the ECB said it was his wish (says Marks in a very Selvey-esque article- not a compliment).

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/ ... s#comments
Arthur Crabtree

Postby rich1uk » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:50 pm

is Broad maybe favourite for the captaincy as i see he has been given the "steely" tag ?
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:53 pm

Maybe they should be readying a younger player for the steely-tag given Broad's chronic injury problems. They need to look ahead.

I expect he might be vc. Or they're preparing for the times when Root will be rested.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Dr Cricket » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:24 pm

wonder how Charles sale taking the news that Root is captain.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket