Shut your eyes and think of England.

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Shut your eyes and think of England.

Postby sussexpob » Tue May 22, 2018 10:40 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:He's back. Strauss is away on leave, so Andy Flower is in charge of English cricket, the 'director'.

And no one is surprised.

I'm not even surprised the mail tried to say he left the job in 2013 because of Kevin Petersen, and not a downwards trend in team performance ending with the worst series in England's 140 year history.

Part of his rehabilitation no doubt.

We can ignore the disastrous talent management and rubbish lions team performance too....

Long Live the King
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby sussexpob » Wed May 23, 2018 7:38 am

Does there come a time when we have to ask whether or not Strauss is suitable to continue in this role? He left the Ashes tour at the start once his wife was diagnosed, and didnt return for the winter, and now before a international ball has been bowled this summer he has essentially written himself off till the autumn (at least).

While I completely understand why he would be taking time out, and support him for that, is it normal for a partner to be granted this type of leave by an employer or indeed seek to spend essentially 6-7 months off with leave in about an 8-9 month cycle?
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed May 23, 2018 8:18 am

sussexpob wrote:

I'm not even surprised the mail tried to say he left the job in 2013 because of Kevin Petersen, and not a downwards trend in team performance ending with the worst series in England's 140 year history.

Not forgetting arguably the second worst England series, the 3-0 in UAE.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby sussexpob » Wed May 23, 2018 9:24 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote: Not forgetting arguably the second worst England series, the 3-0 in UAE.

Or, as a personal highlight for possible worst single test match ever, that Oval 2012 effort vs South Africa when we lost by an innings and only took 2 wickets for about 700 runs.....

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Wed May 23, 2018 9:33 am

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1246 ... gland-2012

Such a depressing match that was. Taking the instantaneous fall of wicket at the start, England went 187 overs and 636 runs with 1 wicket. Then on a pitch where South Africa had made it look like any club cricketer would be confident of a score, had our top order blown away in a scatter of early wickets.

sussexpob

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed May 23, 2018 10:57 am

Memorable for me in that I fell off a ladder while engaged in diversionary activities during Amla's marathon.

Everyone remembers the 'drop' if it was a drop, because of how costly it was/how impossible it was to create even another half chance for so long.

I had it third in my list of worst England performances a couple of years ago, behind Sydney 14 and Dubai 12. But there's more than one way to judge a bad performance.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby sussexpob » Wed May 23, 2018 11:05 am

Accidental or on purpose? I think we were all close to throwing ourselves of things.

Sydney seemed a standard win in a disaster tour. We bowled pretty well in comparison to most tests that winter. And we bowled out Pakistan for under 100 at Dubai..... I cant see the logic in these unless you factor in the completion of the whitewash, and the quite extravagant way England threw away a test after bowling a side out for 90... as performances they were relatively good!

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Wed May 23, 2018 11:19 am

I concede that it is subjective mind. I dont think any cricketing performance in my lifetime that I remember can come close to the utter dejection of the 1999 tour of New Zealand. The England team by this stage was at best a shambles, very poor home world cup, and then made to look like a pub side by a mostly journeyman attack who by their own admission were past their best. The Oval test stands out in memory as being a point where, as a young enthusiastic fan that had mostly remembered nothing to cheer for growing into the game in the 90s, I reflected maybe following England's fortunes was actually just a consistently punishing experience that contained no joy.

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Wed May 23, 2018 11:24 am

I think that summer can be summed up by the fact that Chris Read twice ducked a ball that bounced at his ankles. Thats how bad it got. Our batsman were literally taking evasive action to yorkers. I think the Oval test was alaso around the time that one of our only hopes for the future, Dean Headley, retired due to injury.

And thats before we mention Aftab Habib

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Wed May 23, 2018 11:27 am

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2twbwv

A non youtube version of that dismissal, so we can all relive the wonder of the moment.

sussexpob

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed May 23, 2018 11:30 am

Depends on your frame of reference. Sydney finally destroyed not only the England side, on and off the field but the repercussions led to the breakdown of accord between the public and the administration of the side. England lost heavily at the Oval and there were consequences off the pitch, but the side wasn't finished by the Oval. There was still a series to be saved and a team that could be repaired by clever leaders. But there's no right answer. From being number one in the world, to Sydney was a long narrative of decline and disintegration. The book is still not written.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby sussexpob » Wed May 23, 2018 11:33 am

Got the thread link btw? I remember seeing the initial stages, but last year I was often absent for long periods. Be interested to read the list.

sussexpob

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed May 23, 2018 11:35 am

sussexpob wrote: And we bowled out Pakistan for under 100 at Dubai..... and the quite extravagant way England threw away a test after bowling a side out for 90... as performances they were relatively good!

That's it. England demonstrated that they could lose from literally any position. Even from bowling the opposition out for double figures. And lose heavily.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed May 23, 2018 11:41 am

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21176

I found it by doing a search for Ted Dexter, so prominent was Lord Ted in England's bad days.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri May 25, 2018 6:30 pm

Looks like mission creep is a possibility with Flower back in charge.

Which was a problem before.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... tor-summer
Arthur Crabtree

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket