Shut your eyes and think of England.

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Shut your eyes and think of England.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon May 04, 2015 10:26 pm

I'll be checking back, bn.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Aidan11 » Tue May 05, 2015 8:44 am

Doesn't bode well to be blaming your boss in public.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby shankycricket » Wed May 06, 2015 10:06 pm

The Strauss appointment has indeed been confirmed. Very disappointing news.

Just like Ravi Shastri, the only good that can come out of this is we won't have to listen to him in the commentary box. So looking forward to England embarking on the new era of "aggressive cricket" with 4 man bowling attacks, bowling dry and a possible test return for Tim Bresnan!!!!

Honestly couldn't be bothered by the KP thing. I don't think he should be brought back anyway. But the cultural shift English cricket needs ain't happening under Strauss. This is a complete eyewash and nothing more than a "cosmetic change". They will keep on playing with the same, old defensive mindset and Cook will probably have even more power now. As Sir G aptly said in his article, "the more English cricket changes, the more it remains the same". The "boys club" attitude strikes again. Disappointing. Very, very disappointing. This was a great opportunity for the ECB to cut out the deadwood and replenish itself with a fresh, new, bold, aggressive approach. Ah Well! :no :no :no
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby sussexpob » Wed May 06, 2015 10:12 pm

shankycricket wrote:The Strauss appointment has indeed been confirmed. Very disappointing news.

Just like Ravi Shastri, the only good that can come out of this is we won't have to listen to him in the commentary box. So looking forward to England embarking on the new era of "aggressive cricket" with 4 man bowling attacks, bowling dry and a possible test return for Tim Bresnan!!!!

Honestly couldn't be bothered by the KP thing. I don't think he should be brought back anyway. But the cultural shift English cricket needs ain't happening under Strauss. This is a complete eyewash and nothing more than a "cosmetic change". They will keep on playing with the same, old defensive mindset and Cook will probably have even more power now. As Sir G aptly said in his article, "the more English cricket changes, the more it remains the same". The "boys club" attitude strikes again. Disappointing. Very, very disappointing. This was a great opportunity for the ECB to cut out the deadwood and replenish itself with a fresh, new, bold, aggressive approach. Ah Well! :no :no :no

Who do you give it to
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby shankycricket » Wed May 06, 2015 10:18 pm

sussexpob wrote:
shankycricket wrote:The Strauss appointment has indeed been confirmed. Very disappointing news.

Who do you give it to

Vaughan or Hussain for me. Or Collingwood. You happy with the Strauss appointment?
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby sussexpob » Wed May 06, 2015 10:36 pm

shankycricket wrote:
sussexpob wrote:

Who do you give it to

Vaughan or Hussain for me. Or Collingwood. You happy with the Strauss appointment?

No, I wouldnt have appointed Strauss, but I also would have struggled to find someone to suit the bill. The job itself is unnecessary in my belief, the coach should have full decision making power over the team, and anything that doesnt concern the actual function of playing cricket should be taken care of my someone else that doesnt need a cricket brain.

I fail to see what Cook and Moores need from Strauss other then factors that they should be expected to account for already
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri May 20, 2016 9:42 am

A return to the farcical of the days of Downton and Moores yesterday, with Colin Graves exposed to the feeble glow of media scrutiny. Strauss has done a good job in extinguishing dissent in the press and on tv, and getting England above and beyond criticism has entailed making sure a few prominent faces (Clarke as well) will STFU.

But Graves was back on his hind legs yesterday, talking to the BBC and Sky. He is reported to have described the T20 competition as being mediocre, which is the only preview to the competition I have seen, which starts today, in the press. He didn't make a guess which side would be the least-mediocre enough to win, or least-rubbish players to look out for. Just gave us a headline.

He also said cricket wouldn't ever return to terrestrial tv. Rather than committing to keeping it off free to air. And said that was because young people watch things on social media. So he hasn't ruled out Twitter covering England games, just the BBC and C4, actual broadcasters. Nice little nostalgia buzz for those who miss former public relations guru Paul Downton, who admirably admitted not knowing what social media was when he took on his duties as spokesperson for English cricket.

We want the counties to stand on their own two feet and not come running back to the trough when they run into difficulties

Was Graves' unusually expressed vision of the way forward.

Wonder what Downton is up to...
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Dr Cricket » Fri May 20, 2016 10:26 am

Arthur you got his fta quote wrong said test will never go fta but t20 games is likely to go fta.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Dr Cricket » Fri May 20, 2016 10:27 am

Test cricket will never go fta since no broadcaster wants to show it, actually no broadcaster actually wants to show cricket full stop unless it is Ipl and can get the production provided for them.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri May 20, 2016 2:19 pm

Given the lack of clarity in his statements, I took Tests to mean internationals. If any T20 coverage goes fta it'll be domestic.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Dr Cricket » Fri May 20, 2016 2:22 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Given the lack of clarity in his statements, I took Tests to mean internationals. If any T20 coverage goes fta it'll be domestic.

Hard to say right now since England only play 2-3 international a year quite possible international could be part of the deal. But what ever happens Ecb needs to do what ca and other boards do and actually pay for the production so fta broadcaster can actually take the rights.

Ecb would have to fund and provide the coverage.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue May 24, 2016 12:52 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/articl ... didas.html
Interesting comment by sale, although this time sale made his opinion sound like an opinion and not a fact lol.
However, the ECB should be doing all they can to ensure the next TV contract for the all-singing international T20 is on free-to-air TV as building participation in the game is critical.

got the same opinion as him, think it is very likely that all england home t20 international will be on FTA although ECB would have to provide the production cost for it to happen.

I would be very surprise if Sky or BT get full exclusive at worse it would be stated some games have to be shown on showcase or Sky sports mix channel which is free to all sky costumers.
If that doesn't happen ECB are officially the most stupid board ever, they haven't made one correct business decision in the past 25 year, actually that might be harsh central contract and Sky deal was ok, although the deal signed in 2011 or 2010 was awful, why give sky 7 year exclusivity and why give them a 5 year deal and then be able to extend the rights by 2 years for the same price and ECB can't even say no to the 2 year extension.
if they wanted to give the extension deal, should have been in the clause that ECB can decline the extension offer, quite funny really since ECB really want the TV deal to end during 2017 but due to the extension tv deal end in 2019.
Because of that ECB can't change anything major and are also losing out on cash since it is 100% guaranteed Sky or bt would pay far more for the rights currently.

Although fair play to ECB they using the time now to make the best possible packages to get the most money and have some sort of FTA coverage and looking at making T20 competition better.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue May 24, 2016 1:00 pm

The only way I can see international cricket being on fta is if Sky unscramble it. They've insisted on, and paid for, exclusivity. They won't pay as much (even proportional to the amount they retain) without that.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue May 24, 2016 1:36 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:The only way I can see international cricket being on fta is if Sky unscramble it. They've insisted on, and paid for, exclusivity. They won't pay as much (even proportional to the amount they retain) without that.

you missing the fact BT sports involved now, Sky really have no choice since they will be a bidding war between them, in reality they won't drop the price on exclusivity since ECB could really say take it or it goes to another broadcaster.
Sky will not risk losing the cricket just because a few games are on pay tv.

this only work when their 2 genuine broadcaster wanting the rights, before only Sky were interested in the rights.
when the their more than 2 genuine broadcaster then you can divide the rights up and get more money for it, one reason why premier league and some other sports do it.

Cricket couldn't do it in the past since Sky were the only broadcaster interested not the case now.

Also Sky opened a new channel sky sport mix just because loads of sporting boards want some sort of FTA coverage now so sky are using the new channel to possibly get rights since BT have gotten 2 sports rights using Showcase. Aussie Cricket summer and Champions league.

I be very surprised if Sky reduce the bid by up to 50-70% because they lost 2-5 game exclusive.
in the past it was reported exclusivity was worth 50% with ashes worth 70%.
I highly doubt Sky would bid 50% less now or even threaten ECB with it.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue May 24, 2016 1:41 pm

Also ECB Cricket is very important to Sky and BT which is why I be very surprised if they play any games to get the rights cheaper or exclusivity.
BT Sports lose loads of costumers in the summer since they have no real sport, whereas sky can keep football subscriber during the summer since they show golf and cricket.

it is possible Sky/BT will offer more money for exclusivity with the carrot some games are on showcase or Sky sports mix channel.

they both have now starting using that to get sports rights in a close battle, especially after BT won the Uefa rights using that technique.

Can't see Sky or BT losing sleep over 2-4 t20 games a year.

the only games that would lose value would be if ODI or Test matches go.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket