Page 32 of 34

Re: Shut your eyes and think of England.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:17 pm
by backfootpunch
Arthur Crabtree wrote:Root gets rested by England but is available for the IPL.

Where's the anger?

Shame KP didn't get this preferential treatment

Instead there was a witch hunt to get rid of him

Re: Shut your eyes and think of England.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:58 pm
by sussexpob
I think the point made at the time with KP, certainly by me but also by others who supported it, that it wasnt realistic for England players to be denied the opportunity to play, and this sort of move is perfectly healthy as it isnt meaning in the future players are picking IPL over England.

So, there shouldnt really be an anger, although I know that wasnt really your point.

But I dont need to go into the whole KP thing again. We know he was singled out, but after listening to his commentary a lot recently, I am starting to understand why

Re: Shut your eyes and think of England.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:10 pm
by Adi
Arthur Crabtree wrote:Root gets rested by England but is available for the IPL.

Where's the anger?

24 England players in auction.

Joe has got the rest sanctioned very easily. Workload is there so why play IPL now. This question was asked to KP by media and England fans. Whereas not much fuss when Joe has got rest without any issues.

Re: Shut your eyes and think of England.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:41 pm
by Arthur Crabtree

Re: Shut your eyes and think of England.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:19 pm
by sussexpob
No mention of it in this article, but it has been reported that Graves has threatened Surrey with removing the Oval as a venue for the 100 ball spectacular, unless they fall into line and agree with everything he says. As this article says, is the left hand in the same time zone as the right hand? How can Graves talk about tapping into audience growth, and then threaten the biggest success story of T20 cricket in this country with abandonment?

Surrey have had multiple 20,000 plus sell outs at the Oval in 2017. They reported on ticket sales surveyed this year that 45% of buyers are first time live cricket watchers.

But all thats in a mediocre format I guess.

Its going beyond the point of beyond embarrassment

Re: Shut your eyes and think of England.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:20 pm
by Alviro Patterson
sussexpob wrote:No mention of it in this article, but it has been reported that Graves has threatened Surrey with removing the Oval as a venue for the 100 ball spectacular, unless they fall into line and agree with everything he says. As this article says, is the left hand in the same time zone as the right hand? How can Graves talk about tapping into audience growth, and then threaten the biggest success story of T20 cricket in this country with abandonment?

Surrey have had multiple 20,000 plus sell outs at the Oval in 2017. They reported on ticket sales surveyed this year that 45% of buyers are first time live cricket watchers.

But all thats in a mediocre format I guess.

Its going beyond the point of beyond embarrassment


Time for Richard Gould to put his name forward for the ECB Chairman's role, shoddy treatment if that is the case though I imagine Surrey can afford not to be involved in the 100 ball circus.

Re: Shut your eyes and think of England.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:34 pm
by sussexpob
From Liz Ammon in the Times yesterday......

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/supp ... -p3bdk9vs0

Surrey have been threatened with being removed as a venue for the new 100-ball tournament if they do not fall into line and give their full backing to the new eight-team competition.

Colin Graves, chairman of the ECB, told the Telegraph: “We chose eight venues that we thought were right for the new competition. We offered them [Surrey] the opportunity to be one of those venues. If they don’t want it, fine. But if they do want it, they have to be 100 per cent committed. If they are not on board then, fine, we will go somewhere else.”

It is understood that Surrey received a letter from the ECB shortly after the new 100-ball tournament, being branded “The Hundred”, was announced, requesting a meeting with their committee to ensure it was fully behind the new tournament. It contained a warning that even though the eight venues for The Hundred had been announced they were still “subject to contract” and the team who were to be based at the Oval could be moved.

Re: Shut your eyes and think of England.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:40 pm
by sussexpob
Booth in the Mail says that Surrey are apparently pretty angry with that comment, but that no one wanted to go on record specifically yet.

Also seems that the players union and players, as reported a lot without direct quote, are not up for the 100 format. Ollie Rayner has come out on twitter to say its a waste of time.

Re: Shut your eyes and think of England.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:48 pm
by Alviro Patterson
Opportunity for Middlesex to voice their opposals and throw the 100 ball format into doubt. Good luck to the ECB in trying to find a suitable venue in London during peak summer.

Richard Gould has got the right approach for Twenty20 - just grow the Blast and have a mixture of traditional counties and other named teams.

Re: Shut your eyes and think of England.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:56 pm
by sussexpob
Alviro Patterson wrote:Opportunity for Middlesex to voice their opposals and throw the 100 ball format into doubt. Good luck to the ECB in trying to find a suitable venue in London during peak summer.

Richard Gould has got the right approach for Twenty20 - just grow the Blast and have a mixture of traditional counties and other named teams.


Or just rebrand the blast to be an IPL style tournament, and have an auction for foreign players every year, with the limit increased to 5 or 6.

Re: Shut your eyes and think of England.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:29 pm
by westoelad
Alviro Patterson wrote:
sussexpob wrote:No mention of it in this article, but it has been reported that Graves has threatened Surrey with removing the Oval as a venue for the 100 ball spectacular, unless they fall into line and agree with everything he says. As this article says, is the left hand in the same time zone as the right hand? How can Graves talk about tapping into audience growth, and then threaten the biggest success story of T20 cricket in this country with abandonment?

Surrey have had multiple 20,000 plus sell outs at the Oval in 2017. They reported on ticket sales surveyed this year that 45% of buyers are first time live cricket watchers.

But all thats in a mediocre format I guess.

Its going beyond the point of beyond embarrassment


Time for Richard Gould to put his name forward for the ECB Chairman's role, shoddy treatment if that is the case though I imagine Surrey can afford not to be involved in the 100 ball circus.

Yes can the 100 ball circus afford to do without Surrey?

Re: Shut your eyes and think of England.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:24 pm
by Arthur Crabtree
sussexpob wrote:Surrey have had multiple 20,000 plus sell outs at the Oval in 2017. They reported on ticket sales surveyed this year that 45% of buyers are first time live cricket watchers.


Impressive stat.

Re: Shut your eyes and think of England.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:38 pm
by Arthur Crabtree
Alviro Patterson wrote:
Richard Gould has got the right approach for Twenty20 - just grow the Blast and have a mixture of traditional counties and other named teams.


Or just leave it as it is.

Re: Shut your eyes and think of England.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:57 pm
by Dr Cricket
Arthur Crabtree wrote:
Alviro Patterson wrote:
Richard Gould has got the right approach for Twenty20 - just grow the Blast and have a mixture of traditional counties and other named teams.


Or just leave it as it is.


that wouldn't have given the higher Tv bids from Sky or made BBC pay around 20M a year for the rights.
They needed a new comp to get the money but they didn't need to meddle with the format.
although I think Surrey were in favour of having a premier league IE top division of 8 teams and a 2nd division would have meant 8 teams, all games covered in one league and counties remain.
teams promoted and relegated as well.

Re: Shut your eyes and think of England.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:28 pm
by Arthur Crabtree
He's back. Strauss is away on leave, so Andy Flower is in charge of English cricket, the 'director'.