The Jadeja Anderson Spat

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: The Jadeja Anderson Spat

Postby Dilbert » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:29 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:I'm not really arguing against you Dilbert. I can certainly understand your indignation. That's a fair point. They are only equivalent to a degree. A supposedly unprovoked punch against a push. But it does go to disprove the point I made. I was thinking about scuffles in the tunnel before and after football games. Were there any repercussions for the ManU/Arsenal pizza incident?

I know you are not. just wanted to point out that Aus deemed Warners behaviour unacceptable and banned him, whereas Eng are trying to sweep it under the carpet. They are not exactly comparable, and we don’t know if Root provoked Warner, or both of them were just too drunk but point point is Aus atleast take responsibility of the stupidness of their players and take necessary action, not protect them. Would have expected Eng to do something similar, as Cook et al know exactly what happened. And we all can fairly deduce what would have happened.
2012 IPL prediction guru
2012 World T20 champs prediction guru
2012-13 India-Pakistan LO prediction guru
2013 SA vs Pakistan Tests prediction guru
2016 World T20 champs prediction guru
Dilbert

Team(s) Supported: India all the way !

Postby Gingerfinch » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:30 pm

SaintPowelly wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:I'm not really arguing against you Dilbert. I can certainly understand your indignation. That's a fair point. They are only equivalent to a degree. A supposedly unprovoked punch against a push. But it does go to disprove the point I made. I was thinking about scuffles in the tunnel before and after football games. Were there any repercussions for the ManU/Arsenal pizza incident?

No-one reported the pizza incident to the FA.

Even Fergie laughs about that now. Not sure he did at the time, though there was no running to the football police.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby Gingerfinch » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:31 pm

Dilbert wrote:

I know you are not. just wanted to point out that Aus deemed Warners behaviour unacceptable and banned him, whereas Eng are trying to sweep it under the carpet. They are not exactly comparable, and we don’t know if Root provoked Warner, or both of them were just too drunk but point point is Aus atleast take responsibility of the stupidness of their players and take necessary action, not protect them. Would have expected Eng to do something similar, as Cook et al know exactly what happened. And we all can fairly deduce what would have happened.

I'm GUESSING that if Jimmy had punched Jadeja in face, then he'd be in big trouble from the ECB, ICC, and be banned.
Last edited by Gingerfinch on Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby Aidan11 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:32 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:
SaintPowelly wrote:

No-one reported the pizza incident to the FA.

Which tends towards the view that there is tolerance of off field confrontation. I guess the ref must have known.

Scuffles in the tunnel in football matches are commonplace. Not just recently either. Several of the 1966 squad confirm in their autobiographies after the infamous England v Argentina game that the Argentines were banging on the England dressing room door for a fight. England refused to open it although Jack Charlton & Nobby Stiles were both hoping they would.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby SaintPowelly » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:35 pm

The point is India made a complaint because Andersons behavior was unacceptable and they got laughed at.
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby D/L » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:41 pm

Dr Robert wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

I'm GUESSING that if Jimmy had punched Jadeja in face, then he's be in big trouble for the ECB, ICC, and be banned.

Exactly. The Warner/Root comparison is disingenuous. Had the Aussies thought they could plead something in mitigation, they would have done so instead of immediately banning Warner.
D/L

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC.

Postby D/L » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:44 pm

SaintPowelly wrote:The point is India made a complaint because Andersons behavior was unacceptable and they got laughed at.

The real point seems to be that there was a bit of "handbags" in the corridor and the judge dismissed all charges made.
D/L

Postby SaintPowelly » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:46 pm

D/L wrote:
SaintPowelly wrote:The point is India made a complaint because Andersons behavior was unacceptable and they got laughed at.

The real point seems to be that there was a bit of "handbags" in the corridor and the judge dismissed all charges made.

But the rules say that pushing is a punishable offence ( whether thats right or wrong is another debate ), Anderson pushed him, admitted it and got away with.
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby Aidan11 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:46 pm

The Ilott/Croft incident was probably worse.

That one was in front of the cameras.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby Dilbert » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:47 pm

D/L wrote:
Dr Robert wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

I'm GUESSING that if Jimmy had punched Jadeja in face, then he's be in big trouble for the ECB, ICC, and be banned.

Exactly. The Warner/Root comparison is disingenuous. Had the Aussies thought they could plead something in mitigation, they would have done so instead of immediately banning Warner.

Thats just your opinion.
2012 IPL prediction guru
Dilbert

Postby hopeforthebest » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:06 pm

One of the curiosities of the judgement is his taking into account how much it would have cost the players through loss of income if he'd found them guilty. That suggests that if they'd been amateurs he would have been more inclined to meet out some punishment.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby sussexpob » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:35 pm

hopeforthebest wrote:One of the curiosities of the judgement is his taking into account how much it would have cost the players through loss of income if he'd found them guilty. That suggests that if they'd been amateurs he would have been more inclined to meet out some punishment.

Yeah I said that this morning. It is very bizarre that a reason for not finding someone guilty is how much it will cost them, and with that thought, increasing the burden of proof to equate to a higher standard than any civil court in the world aspires.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Making_Splinters » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:26 pm

The justification for the verdict was interesting to read. Seems as if Jadeja shot the whole process in the foot by deliberately trying to ham the whole thing up. Worrying that Moores came out and defended Anderson's "agressive" brand of cricket.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby D/L » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:02 pm

Dilbert wrote:
D/L wrote:
Dr Robert wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

Thats just your opinion.

Thanks. I try to be just in my opinions.

It should be obvious though, not least from the lack of support for Warner from the Aussie management, that the two incidents have very little in common.
D/L

Postby Dilbert » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:07 pm

Which, again, is just your opinion.
2012 IPL prediction guru
Dilbert

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket