Attendances at Test/ ODI Matches

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Attendances at Test/ ODI Matches

Postby sussexpob » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:21 am

If its any consolation, my wife loved her trip to Lords when I took her, but this was in large part down to the fact that she found somewhere selling gin. I never quite got her into cricket, but she did enjoy sitting in the sunshine drinking gin for 6 hours.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:16 am

sussexpob wrote:As for other points, it seems the expectation is for cheap tickets, with great views, and surrounded by like minded people who enjoy the game in the same environment as you want. Maybe deep down, its that people dont actually like going, or have had bad experiences.

Wages have been stagnant for ten years so we may be thinking the prices haven't changed much, and the numbers might be familiar, but it doesn't make the tickets any more affordable. Perhaps more-so outside the south-east. £70 for a standard ticket still looks a lot (and especially if you would go for more than one day, plus the usual add ons).

But yes, going to see the present England side isn't that attractive for many long term supporters, and quite remote for a younger generation. They have shed fans without attracting new ones (to Tests) I'm hoping it changes, as following cricket was something I hoped to have more time for in retirement. And I don't see the game thriving generally in the UK without a supportable national side.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:17 am

Dr Cricket wrote:TBH if I was in charge of ECB I think I would just give cheap tickets or give always to British Asian clubs and members and hopefully integrate them and get them into England grounds.
insane to have a market of British Asian that love cricket, yet don't buy tickets for england or english county games.

Not a bad idea.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:19 am

Dr Cricket wrote:it really gets on my nerves when people say I shouldn't support or talk about england.

Why do they think that?

Historical resentment?

Fan rivalry?

Just this present side or supporting England as a concept?
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:27 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:
Dr Cricket wrote:it really gets on my nerves when people say I shouldn't support or talk about england.

Why do they think that?

Historical resentment?

Fan rivalry?

Supporting england as a concept in cricket.
it is fine in any other sport barring cricket.
do wonder if that is partly a reason for why Cricket just doesn't have the Asian supporting England or the counties system.

Do think Fan rivalry plays a part though, one guy on twitter said it just isn't possible to support 2 teams especially in a small teams based league.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:32 am

Reports are that about 10,000 tickets got sold in the last 2 days which is a lot by the way.
wonder if people are just not buying tickets up front anymore.
in recent times I just usually brought test match tickets few days before the event.

Don't blame them since I am very picky on which days I go to and it is very based on the weather and the match situation.

so guessing people are moving on with the times and I be frank test cricket isn't that great to watch in england anymore especially on day 1-3.
We seen a lot of boring drab days in recent times, no real excitement like the cricket been in the sub c lately add in the boring england test team and it isn't a great advertisement to buy tickets 3-4 months before it.

Do wonder when Australia and to a lesser extent england, I find the pitches in england to be dull but the ball does kind of make it up for it and make things happen but if they used kookabura the test matches in england would be awful.
Last edited by Dr Cricket on Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby sussexpob » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:38 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Why do they think that?

Historical resentment?

Fan rivalry?

From my own perspective, I think as an immigrant you tend to embrace parts of your heritage that have strong cultural meaning. As an example, I could live in Norway for 50 years and adopt everything, but if England played Norway in a world cup final in football, I am going to become the most English person you'd ever met for a day. India has its own proud heritage of cricket, and I guess that to many that is a main part of keeping hold of that identity.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Durhamfootman » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:29 pm

Dr Cricket wrote:Reports are that about 10,000 tickets got sold in the last 2 days which is a lot by the way.

perhaps they are waiting to see what the weather is doing

or hoping for a half price ticket sale
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby Alviro Patterson » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:00 pm

sussexpob wrote:£21 for one corner of the ground compared to £56 for half the ground (where most of the empty seats are) is not the best of comparisons

If these were the only handful of cheap tickets in the ground, then if price mattered, they'd be the first sold. They have been, so the idea people wont pay loads of money to go isnt well established.

Like you said, those £21 seats are in the no alcohol section and are not par for the course. Some people like to have a quiet drink or two at the cricket, but are paying more than double for the privlege.

Alviro Patterson wrote:No India test in the North of England neither, looks like i'll stick to T20 Blast and the County Championship then.

Didnt you recently fly to NZ via Taiwan when England were there? The 60 miles from Leeds to Nottingham in comparison is a bridge too far? The Barmy Army took 10,000-15,000 to the last Sydney test depending on where you look. The Australia tourist board think they spend near 15,000AUD a person on these trips on average.

So people are happy travelling 26 hours on a plane, spending their life savings, to attend one match as far away is basically physically possible, but when it comes to an hour in a car and £21 quid, this is too much.

It doesnt make much sense. Other sports are doing it. The football spending league shows you how much people are spending. Expecting a cricket fan to spend £50 quid on a ticket is hardly revolutionary.

Certainly does not make sense. There is a difference between watching cricket abroad as part of a pre-planned, extensive trip and going to a day at the cricket from home. For example some England fans who watched in New Zealand did so by accident rather than design, as an extension of their travels around the Far East, just happen to be in New Zealand on Working Holiday Visas or just getting some winter sun and warmth. One lad from Northants I got to chatting to whilst staying in Paihia (not BN unfortunately) - a casual cricket fan, not aware England were touring New Zealand but happened to be in Auckland during the Day/Night test. He was surprised when I told him general admission for the Day/Night test was approx £18.50, said he had a look at going to a test match at Lords or The Oval whilst he lived in London, but was put off with the £70-£100 price mark.

If only it took me 1hr to get to Trent Bridge, try closer to 3hrs by car or 5hrs by public transport from door to turnstile. Add 7.5hrs being at the ground and it is a long day. Not having an India test match in the North of England is alienating half of Yorkshire, the North-West and the North-East.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby Alviro Patterson » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:09 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:
Dr Cricket wrote:Reports are that about 10,000 tickets got sold in the last 2 days which is a lot by the way.

perhaps they are waiting to see what the weather is doing

or hoping for a half price ticket sale

Combined with Edgbaston holding 25,000, there is no real need to book months in advance unless if you want the best seats.

18,000 for Days 1 & 2 is a very good turnout regardless of opposition. That would more than fill Trent Bridge, Headingley and Sophia Gardens.
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Postby ianp1970 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:41 pm

Listening to TMS today - they were saying you could buy a ticket to get in after tea for £20, or pay £29 for general admission at 11:00 :facepalm

Not exactly helping is it?
Sports broadcasting media nut miscast as a hard-working family man. Or should that be the other way around?

2020 Women's T20 World Cup
2019 New Zealand v Bangladesh Tests, Vitality Blast & County Championship Division 1 6 Nations Rugby, Wimbledon Tennis & US Open Tennis
2018 New Zealand v West Indies Combined, Afghanistan v Bangladesh T20s, England v Pakistan Tests, England v India T20s+ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests, Mzansi Super League & Bangladesh v West Indies Combined Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football & French Open Tennis
2017 Premier League Football, French Open Tennis & Wimbledon Tennis
2016 South Africa v England ODIs, England v Sri Lanka Tests, County Championship Division 2 & Australia v New Zealand ODIs Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football, Players Golf, US PGA Golf & US Open Tennis
2015 Indian Premier League, The Ashes & England v Australia ODIs Masters Golf, Premier League Football & US PGA Golf
2014 Australia v England ODIs 6 Nations Rugby, Premier League Football, Players Golf, Wimbledon Tennis, Open Golf & US Open Tennis
2013 Players Golf, Premier League Football, French Open Tennis, Open Golf & US PGA Golf
2012 New Zealand v Zimbabwe ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests Betting & WI vs NZ ODIs US Open Golf & Open Golf
2011 India v England ODIs & Bangladesh v Pakistan Combined Wimbledon Tennis
ianp1970

Team(s) Supported: England
Warwickshire
Rugby
Market Deeping

Postby Durhamfootman » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:44 pm

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... a-tv-chief

what's daft, is that everyone with half a brain had a pretty good idea of what was likely to happen. Pity the ECB have always struggled in the half a brain dept
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby Alviro Patterson » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:54 pm

14 years without Free to Air English cricket is an awful long time and it is having an impact even at grassroot level in terms of participation. Just showing 100 ball matches and the occasional England T20 is not enough, there needs to be some shared coverage 50 over and red ball cricket. There is nothing stopping the BBC or ITV showing day long matches on their platforms, I mean if they can show every FIFA World Cup matches, they can show a days cricket even if on Red Button or ITV4.

Alviro Patterson

Postby Dr Cricket » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:34 am

ITV had no problem showing 8 hrs of IPL.
biggest issues is cost and production.
BBC and ITV would take the cricket if everything was given on a plate.
Ironic thing is BBC and ITV would love if ECB did what BCCI did and just do all the production and comms and produce the whole thing for TV.

Wasn't ECB going to start a production arm anyway and not leave it to the broadcasters for the next tv deal.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Previous

Return to International Cricket