Attendances at Test/ ODI Matches

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Attendances at Test/ ODI Matches

Postby Red Devil » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:36 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:£70 at Trent Bridge.

The loss of the weekend as the core of the match complicates pricing.

Ticket prices hugely effects the crowd. £70 wipes out a huge amount of the potential audience.

I think there was a swell of feelgood support centred around the Fletcher years, and the re-emergence of an exciting, winning team that struck off decades of bad results, home and away. And that period wore the ticket prices fairly lightly and built up support through C4 coverage. But the last four years of attritional cricket, the eight years loss of the game to Sky and the current bad feeling surrounding the post Ashes period has soured the mood. Sending us back to the crowds we see on VHS when English cricket was a joke.

Recovery will be difficult. There was always potential for the game to reconnect with the public when it was on terrestrial tv. Less certain now. Participation in supporting the England team live over the past few years has felt a bit like subscribing to watching it on tv. You join it at a point where it just about feels affordable, but each year it grows in expense, and each year that loyalty is stretched further. In an economic slump, more people will have to say no.

very true - the ticket prices are a major problem. I'm taking my other half, my parents and 5 kids to the women'd test match and it'll cost £50 for the day with free parking and lots of kids activities thrown in.

for a mens test match it would cost more than that per ticket and there's nothing much for the kids - and I'm not going to fork out about £700 to take the family to a day at the test!
FL Titles
2008 Ban v NZ ODIs India v Aus Tests India v Eng ODIs
2009 NZ v WI Tests NZ v India ODIs SA v Aust ODIs Aus v WI Tests '08/09 Premier League Football
2010 SA v Eng Tests County Championship Div 1 County Championship Div 2 India v NZ Tests SL v WI Tests
2011 CMS Cricinfo World Cup County Championship Div 2
2012 Pak v Eng Tests SL v Ind ODIs County Championship Div 2 Champs League T20
2013 Ind v Aus Tests NZ v Eng T20/ODI NZ v Eng Tests County Fantasy Manager County Championship Div 1 NZ v WI Tests '13/14 Aus v Eng Tests
2014 NZ v Ind ODIs CMS Cricinfo T20 World Cup County Fantasy Manager County Championship Div 1 Aus MB One Day Cup SL v Eng ODIs
2015 CMS Cricinfo ODI World Cup Eng v NZ combined Natwest T20
2016 Big Bash T20 Sheffield Shield Kia Womens T20 Natwest T20 Blast County Fantasy Manager WI v Pak T20/ODI combined Rio Olympics
2017 Womens Big Bash T20 Womens ODI World Cup Eng v WI Tests County Championship Div 1 Eng v WI ODIs Aus JLT One Day Cup Ind v SL Tests NZ v WI Tests Ind v SL T20s
2018 Aus v Eng ODIs Womens Big Bash T20 Trans Tasman T20s Sheffield Shield Pak v WI T20s NZ v Eng Tests Eng v Aus ODIs Royal London County One Day WI v Ban Test/ODI Combined Women's Super League T20 Natwest T20 Blast Caribbean Premier League T20 County Championship Div 1 Women's T20 World Cup '17/18 Premier League Fantasy Football
2019 NZ v SL Test/ODI Combined WI v Eng Tests Big Bash T20 NZ v Ban Tests ICC World Cup Single Wicket Women's Big Bash T20 All Year Fant Comp
2020 Big Bash T20 (Joint) SL v WI T20/ODI Bob Willis Trophy Natwest T20 Blast Aus v Ind ODI/T20 Combined
2021 Ind v Eng ODIs
Red Junior's Titles
2016 Eng v Pak ODIs (aged 6)
2017 Eng v SA Tests Ind v NZ ODIs
2018 Aus JLT One Day Cup
2019 NZ v Eng T20s Aus Marsh One Day Cup
2020 (Joint) SL v WI T20/ODI IPL T20
Red Twins Titles
2021 Aus v Ind Tests (aged 7) Ind v Eng T20s
Red Devil

Team(s) Supported: India, Manchester United

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:46 pm

It is possible to work around it to some extent. last day prices are less. Though these may fall on a school/work day. But they will be walk up tickets.

These tickets are becoming part of the squeeze though and are starting to cost more.

It sounds like the newer grounds and the northern ground charge less. And it should be recognised that junior tickets are much cheaper everywhere. But still it is prohibitive if paying for dependents. Probably the grounds are happier to cater for groups of men who are likely to spend a lot of money in the ground. And that sort of atmosphere creates an environment unappealing to a family group.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Alviro Patterson » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:34 pm

sussexpob wrote:
Aidan11 wrote:
sussexpob wrote:
D/L wrote:
sussexpob wrote:Biggest Indian communities in the UK......

Birmigham
Sandwell (part of Birmingham essentially)
Wolverhampton
Leicester (what, about 30 miles from Birmingham).....

No test at Edgbaston? Who made that decision

Leeds and Bradford must be well up there too.

I think, and I can be corrected, that the Asian populations that make up the Leeds-Bradford area is vastly more Pakistani in origin. Something like 25% in Bradford, with only say 1-2% Indian.

That was what Headingley were banking on for their neutral test series with Australia a couple of years back but it failed spectacularly.

A lot of money for a ticket in a recession, especially when Bradford area is supposed to have a really bad employment ratio.

The Pakistani community were never going to turn up to a test match in numbers, regardless of ticketing pricing. Limited overs cricket is the greater attraction, i.e. Shahid Afridi.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby KipperJohn » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:22 pm

Even after retirement it took me years to finally decide to go to a Test. Whilst cost was a factor it's also very much the thought that you'll travel quite a long way, only to find that some, or all of the day is lost because of the weather. I've always planned my life in advance, rarely going to an event on the spur of the moment. You book, pay out, arrange travel etc , then wonder if it's going to be worth it. Fortunately, my visit to the Ageas Bowl was nigh perfect, especially the cricket.

I still plan to take the Lord's tour - that seems well worth the travel etc., but actually going to a day's cricket is probably a bit prohibitive.
KipperJohn

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:23 pm

Most venues should be able to attract a crowd from the host city though. The grounds aren't big. My guess is that the price is the biggest factor in stopping that from happening. As time goes on, the Sky monopoly will bite.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Albondiga » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:16 pm

KipperJohn wrote:Even after retirement it took me years to finally decide to go to a Test. Whilst cost was a factor it's also very much the thought that you'll travel quite a long way, only to find that some, or all of the day is lost because of the weather. I've always planned my life in advance, rarely going to an event on the spur of the moment. You book, pay out, arrange travel etc , then wonder if it's going to be worth it. Fortunately, my visit to the Ageas Bowl was nigh perfect, especially the cricket.

I still plan to take the Lord's tour - that seems well worth the travel etc., but actually going to a day's cricket is probably a bit prohibitive.

The Lords tour is a must for cricket lovers.
Albondiga

Postby Alviro Patterson » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:26 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Most venues should be able to attract a crowd from the host city though. The grounds aren't big. My guess is that the price is the biggest factor in stopping that from happening. As time goes on, the Sky monopoly will bite.

Precise reason why a team-mate from cricket isn't going to the India ODI, £65 to go in the Western Terrace is a joke. Four years ago it was £35 to watch the Pakistan ODI.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby sussexpob » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:25 am

Albondiga wrote:
KipperJohn wrote:Even after retirement it took me years to finally decide to go to a Test. Whilst cost was a factor it's also very much the thought that you'll travel quite a long way, only to find that some, or all of the day is lost because of the weather. I've always planned my life in advance, rarely going to an event on the spur of the moment. You book, pay out, arrange travel etc , then wonder if it's going to be worth it. Fortunately, my visit to the Ageas Bowl was nigh perfect, especially the cricket.

Lords is a horrible place to watch cricket. You spend all day being judged by someone who looks like the English Upper Class equivalent of Ronald MacDonald, who knows nothing about cricket but thinks he owns the place because of his MCC membership he bought.

The "home of cricket thing" wears off by 11:30am, by which time Ronald MacDonald has already loudly told his mate about his new stock broking venture, and how its the normal bloke two rows in front quietly sipping a beer on his own that is "whats wrong with the test matches now".

God forbid you get in a queue for food or drink in front of him.... don't you know he is a member?
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby D/L » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:55 pm

sussexpob wrote:
Albondiga wrote:

Lords is a horrible place to watch cricket. You spend all day being judged by someone who looks like the English Upper Class equivalent of Ronald MacDonald, who knows nothing about cricket but thinks he owns the place because of his MCC membership he bought.

The "home of cricket thing" wears off by 11:30am, by which time Ronald MacDonald has already loudly told his mate about his new stock broking venture, and how its the normal bloke two rows in front quietly sipping a beer on his own that is "whats wrong with the test matches now".

God forbid you get in a queue for food or drink in front of him.... don't you know he is a member?

:lmao
The media centre is a monstrosity too. I heard someone once say it had been inspired by Cherie Blair's mouth.

A tour of Headingley, with memorabilia of two great sports to be seen, is much better and probably a damned sight cheaper.
D/L

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC.

Postby pompeymeowth » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:45 pm

I thought of Steve Bell as soon as I read that!
pompeymeowth

Team(s) Supported: Sussex. Cruzeiro and Pompey of course.

Postby sussexpob » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:11 pm

D/L wrote:
sussexpob wrote:
Albondiga wrote:

:lmao
The media centre is a monstrosity too. I heard someone once say it had been inspired by Cherie Blair's mouth.

A tour of Headingley, with memorabilia of two great sports to be seen, is much better and probably a damned sight cheaper.

The Oval is better than Lords for the Southern grounds. I prefer Edgbaston or Trent Bridge, never been to Headingley
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:32 pm

Lord's wasn't as great an experience as I thought it was going to be, but it's still a more enjoyable ground than most in England. Trent Bridge and Lord's are the only traditional Test grounds that have much feeling of imagination about them. Headingley and Edgbaston are comfortable but bland. Old Trafford was an outhouse. Presumably better since it was done out. Not been to The Oval.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Aidan11 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:50 am

Not been to the new Headingley but from TV pictures it looks to have more of a stadium look than a cricket ground.

Makes me want to put the Botham's Ashes DVD back on again.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby Gingerfinch » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:56 am

Aidan11 wrote:Not been to the new Headingley but from TV pictures it looks to have more of a stadium look than a cricket ground.

Pity nobody turns up :-)
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby D/L » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:41 pm

Dr Robert wrote:
Aidan11 wrote:Not been to the new Headingley but from TV pictures it looks to have more of a stadium look than a cricket ground.

Pity nobody turns up :-)

Probably a more discerning crowd, less easily pleased than many who pack Lord's and the Oval.

Of course, having to shell out the best part of a quid an over may have something to do with it.
D/L

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC.

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket