England ODI selection

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

England ODI selection

Postby backfootpunch » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:27 pm

with 16 ODIs to go until the world cup and rumours flying around that england will be making large changes to their team (mainly batting you would suspect)

who would you like to see given a run in the side?

-the first thing i would do is remove cook as captain since we have zero chance of winning the world cup with someone who cant play off the front foot opening the batting, then it would either be morgan or bell as captain i suppose (probably morgan)
- secondly i would try very hard to find someone who is going to take wickets in the middle overs, with the new fielding restrictions it is impossible to stop teams scoring 80+ in the last ten overs so taking wickets in the middle overs is now more important than ever and since the retirement of swann and downfall of finn an area england have struggled.

my team would look something like this

bell
hales (has to be given a chance)
vince
root
morgan
buttler
ravi
broad
anderson
tredwell
Another

cant decide between jordan/gurney and the others who the other bowler would be. IMO though 10 overs between ravi, who is quite often our best bowler in ODIs, and joe root will be good enough as a fifth bowler and since we dont really have any stand out options strengthening the batting seems the better options

it will be very interesting to see what sort of squad is picked for the upcoming series against india, i really hope cook is not in it as i dont think we have any hope in hell of doing well at the world cup with such a limited player at the top of the order. especially when the other opener is ian bell who can get bogged down at time as well
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

Re: England ODI selection

Postby rich1uk » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:36 pm

I don't dislike the look of that side , I would still be worried about bopara and root sharing the 5th set of ten overs in every game and having no other option in the top 6 who can bowl the odd over

hales has to be an absolute certainty to open with what he is doing today just cementing his spot
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:39 pm

Possible squad for the India series

Hales
Vince
Roy
Stokes
Morgan
Buttler
Bopara
Jordan
Tredwell
Finn
Gurney

Rankin
Willey
Moeen
R.Patel

I'd like Samit for Bopara, but that's a long shot. He and Taylor don't seem attractive to the selectors.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby SaintPowelly » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:39 pm

rich1uk wrote:I don't dislike the look of that side , I would still be worried about bopara and root sharing the 5th set of ten overs in every game and having no other option in the top 6 who can bowl the odd over

hales has to be an absolute certainty to open with what he is doing today just cementing his spot

Vince can/does.
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby rich1uk » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:44 pm

SaintPowelly wrote:
rich1uk wrote:I don't dislike the look of that side , I would still be worried about bopara and root sharing the 5th set of ten overs in every game and having no other option in the top 6 who can bowl the odd over

Vince can/does.

hes only bowled 13 overs in 75 list A games so altho in theory an option I don't think he would be someone you would want to rely on either unless in a real emergency I would have thought

2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
rich1uk

Postby backfootpunch » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:49 pm

one option is to give ravi a go at three then play either moeen or rashid as 5th bowler number 7 batsmen

ravi should bowl 10 overs much more than he does, in fact his bowling is the only reason i would pick him as there are certainly more consistent hitters of the ball out there
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Postby backfootpunch » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:54 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Possible squad for the India series

Hales
Vince
Roy
Stokes
Morgan
Buttler
Bopara
Jordan
Tredwell
Finn
Gurney

Rankin
Willey
Moeen
R.Patel

I'd like Samit for Bopara, but that's a long shot. He and Taylor don't seem attractive to the selectors.

i would keep bell, we need some experience at the top of the order, especially because since the start of 2012 he averages 45 with a SR of 82 (SR is 90+ so far this year)

i actually think bell will benefit from opening with hales, as when he opens with cook it always falls to him to play the big shots when the run rate dips so he often gets out when on 20/30, whereas hales will be striking at a run a ball most of the time taking the scoring pressure off bell and allowing him to just bat properly

backfootpunch

Postby rich1uk » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:57 pm

backfootpunch wrote:

one option is to give ravi a go at three then play either moeen or rashid as 5th bowler number 7 batsmen

ravi should bowl 10 overs much more than he does, in fact his bowling is the only reason i would pick him as there are certainly more consistent hitters of the ball out there

not disagreeing with your assessment of bopara at all , I think there is a difference tho between saying he should bowl 10 overs more often to basically needing him to bowl ten overs in virtually every game as your only backups are root and maybe vince

and that's not even allowing for the odd game when one of your 4 main bowlers aren't able to bowl their full ten

2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
rich1uk

Postby Gingerfinch » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:04 pm

Ali at three? This would give that extra bowling option.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby Alviro Patterson » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:06 pm

Agree that our chances will improve if Cook isn't in the ODI squad, with a heavy test schedule next year I'd like to se him focus on the red ball.

Unlike previous World Cup campaigns, I hope there are is more emphasis on fresh faces or players with good limited overs pedigree than the tried and tested route.

15 man squad is going to be difficult to pick with emerging players knocking on the door.

Batting: Bell, Hales, Root, Morgan, Bopara, Taylor
Keepers: Buttler, Bairstow
Bowling: Broad, Anderson, Gurney, Rashid, Willey, Jordan, Plunkett
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:06 pm

I've left out all the players who've played all the Tests, apart from Moeen, who I think will get a chance to be the main spinner.

Big changes have been hinted at. Really, Ballance and Root should be given a chance to cement places, and Woakes was in the last squad and hasn't been tried much. I was mainly looking at 'big changes' though.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby backfootpunch » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:08 pm

Dr Robert wrote:Ali at three? This would give that extra bowling option.

maybe either moeen or ravi at 3 then bat stokes at 7

that would make this the team

bell
hales
ravi/moeen
root
morgan
buttler
stokes
broad
jimmy
tredwell
gurney?

5 proper bowlers plus a couple of good part time options, looks about as good a balanced side as we could have, obviously there will be no broad for the time being and i would rest jimmy from all of the ODIs in sri lanka and maybe a couple of the ones versus india

i would also hope jimmy will retire from limited overs cricket after the world cup to get another year of test cricket out of him
Last edited by backfootpunch on Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

backfootpunch

Postby Making_Splinters » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:09 pm

I'm not convinced by Vince at this level yet, I'd like to see England take a gamble on Roy who looks the sort of player who can demolish bowling attacks, turning 5 an over into 7 an over.

Hales has to play, I'd be surprised if Ballance was dropped. Realistically if England are to mover forward either Cook needs to stand down as skipper or Bell needs to be dropped.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby hopeforthebest » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:11 pm

It's hard to believe there's a test match tomorrow which will be last for 8 months. The interest is so loud I can hear a pin drop.
One of the top six in ODI should be a bowler who is likely to take wickets rather than try to fill in. Rashid is a likely contender.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:14 pm

backfootpunch wrote:ravi should bowl 10 overs much more than he does

Bopara and Tredwell aren't going to bowl in the first ten or the last fifteen much outside Asia. It depends what the pitches are like, but it's hard on the captain to have to bowl 20 overs of these two in the middle overs. There won't be much wicket taking pressure there. I can't see England accepting Bopara as one of five.
Arthur Crabtree

Next

Return to International Cricket