Phillip Hughes (1988-2014)

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Phillip Hughes (1988-2014)

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:38 am

one short ball an over?

Not that I would know about these things, but if there is a limit that the umpires can apply, would that protect the employer from any liability?

And it would be nice to get rid of sledging.... that's long overdue. The kind of stuff that goes on (and probably always has) seems to be very different from the witty banter that I like to think it is whenever I'm asked to defend it
2017 Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-SouthAfrica test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman
 
Posts: 31911
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 pm
Location: Chester-le-Street
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Re: Phillip Hughes (1988-2014)

Postby Making_Splinters » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:05 am

The Inquest has decided that there was no culpable party in, Hughes' death. What the hell was the point of this decidedly unsavoury review that at various times tried to insinuate that players were responsible when it was already established that this was not the case. Disgraceful, those involved need to take a long hard look at their moral and ethical responsibilities of their roles because the whole thing careened between vindictiveness and *modded*.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
User avatar
Making_Splinters
 
Posts: 10177
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:44 pm
Location: Manchester, England
Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Re: Phillip Hughes (1988-2014)

Postby westoelad » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:30 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:The Inquest has decided that there was no culpable party in, Hughes' death. What the hell was the point of this decidedly unsavoury review that at various times tried to insinuate that players were responsible when it was already established that this was not the case. Disgraceful, those involved need to take a long hard look at their moral and ethical responsibilities of their roles because the whole thing careened between vindictiveness and *modded*.

An inquest was required because that's the legal process that has to be carried out to establish the cause of death. The verdict cleared the players. Without it, the doubt or insinuation would have remained.
westoelad
 
Posts: 5404
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Phillip Hughes (1988-2014)

Postby Making_Splinters » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:26 pm

westoelad wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:The Inquest has decided that there was no culpable party in, Hughes' death. What the hell was the point of this decidedly unsavoury review that at various times tried to insinuate that players were responsible when it was already established that this was not the case. Disgraceful, those involved need to take a long hard look at their moral and ethical responsibilities of their roles because the whole thing careened between vindictiveness and *modded*.

An inquest was required because that's the legal process that has to be carried out to establish the cause of death. The verdict cleared the players. Without it, the doubt or insinuation would have remained.


Sorry, but I complete disagree that there was any insinuation or doubt in the first place. The entire cricketing fraternity mourned Hughes and accepted it was a tragic accident that could have happened to any player. There has never been any suggestion that players or captains involved were culpable in any way before this inquest. As for the cause of death, it's pretty damn obvious, not to be overly blunt about the whole matter, and has had measures brought in already. While I don't know the full ins and outs of the Australian legal system, I find it hard to believe there was a legal requirement for the inquest to be carried out in the way it was.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
User avatar
Making_Splinters
 
Posts: 10177
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:44 pm
Location: Manchester, England
Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Re: Phillip Hughes (1988-2014)

Postby westoelad » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:40 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:
westoelad wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:The Inquest has decided that there was no culpable party in, Hughes' death. What the hell was the point of this decidedly unsavoury review that at various times tried to insinuate that players were responsible when it was already established that this was not the case. Disgraceful, those involved need to take a long hard look at their moral and ethical responsibilities of their roles because the whole thing careened between vindictiveness and *modded*.

An inquest was required because that's the legal process that has to be carried out to establish the cause of death. The verdict cleared the players. Without it, the doubt or insinuation would have remained.


Sorry, but I complete disagree that there was any insinuation or doubt in the first place. The entire cricketing fraternity mourned Hughes and accepted it was a tragic accident that could have happened to any player. There has never been any suggestion that players or captains involved were culpable in any way before this inquest. As for the cause of death, it's pretty damn obvious, not to be overly blunt about the whole matter, and has had measures brought in already. While I don't know the full ins and outs of the Australian legal system, I find it hard to believe there was a legal requirement for the inquest to be carried out in the way it was.

I'm sorry. I was merely making the point that an inquest is a legal requirement to establish the exact circumstances in which the fatality occurred- the post mortem established the cause of death.Inevitably then some pertinent questions need to be asked to establish perfect clarity on the events leading up to the tragedy.It will be hurtful for those involved naturally but unavoidable. Hughes' family surely have the right to the legal procedure if they're ever to gain closure.
westoelad
 
Posts: 5404
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Phillip Hughes (1988-2014)

Postby sussexpob » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:54 pm

I am not sure inquests into deaths are actually mandatory, only when someone raises a concern that their is a possible suspicion? Or thats my understanding.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob
 
Posts: 24564
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:14 pm
Location: Asker, Norway
Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Re: Phillip Hughes (1988-2014)

Postby westoelad » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:13 pm

sussexpob wrote:I am not sure inquests into deaths are actually mandatory, only when someone raises a concern that their is a possible suspicion? Or thats my understanding.

In England a coroner's officer, normally a senior police official, will examine the circumstances to decide whether an inquest is required. Hughes situation was extremely unusual which,I assume, would necessitate further investigation to establish clarity and doesn't necessarily imply suspicion. Hughes family would understandably wish for that clarity but I don't think family have the right to an inquest unconditionally.
westoelad
 
Posts: 5404
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Phillip Hughes (1988-2014)

Postby GarlicJam » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:08 am

Young Victorian up-and-comer Will Pucovski, who was concussed in his debut match (last season) and only made it back last week, has just been struck by a bouncer and has had to retire hurt.

The ball was bowled by Sean Abbott...


Abbott has remained on the field, and according to radio reports, is visibly upset. When he started bowling again, it was quite erratic, at least to start.


I hope the pair of them are OK.
Maybe




I think I won something, sometime
User avatar
GarlicJam
 
Posts: 9219
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:52 pm
Location: Launceston, Tasmania
Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Re: Phillip Hughes (1988-2014)

Postby Durhamfootman » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:42 pm

indeed
2017 Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-SouthAfrica test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman
 
Posts: 31911
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:53 pm
Location: Chester-le-Street
Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Re: Phillip Hughes (1988-2014)

Postby andy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:56 pm

Have to feel for Abbott...wonder what is in his mind, as this happened again, wonder if he will just eventually not bowl the bouncer..
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner



Essex CCC county champions
andy
 
Posts: 16761
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:25 pm
Location: Essex
Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Previous

Return to International Cricket

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest