Phillip Hughes (1988-2014)

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Phillip Hughes (1988-2014)

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:38 am

one short ball an over?

Not that I would know about these things, but if there is a limit that the umpires can apply, would that protect the employer from any liability?

And it would be nice to get rid of sledging.... that's long overdue. The kind of stuff that goes on (and probably always has) seems to be very different from the witty banter that I like to think it is whenever I'm asked to defend it
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby Making_Splinters » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:05 am

The Inquest has decided that there was no culpable party in, Hughes' death. What the hell was the point of this decidedly unsavoury review that at various times tried to insinuate that players were responsible when it was already established that this was not the case. Disgraceful, those involved need to take a long hard look at their moral and ethical responsibilities of their roles because the whole thing careened between vindictiveness and *modded*.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby westoelad » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:30 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:The Inquest has decided that there was no culpable party in, Hughes' death. What the hell was the point of this decidedly unsavoury review that at various times tried to insinuate that players were responsible when it was already established that this was not the case. Disgraceful, those involved need to take a long hard look at their moral and ethical responsibilities of their roles because the whole thing careened between vindictiveness and *modded*.

An inquest was required because that's the legal process that has to be carried out to establish the cause of death. The verdict cleared the players. Without it, the doubt or insinuation would have remained.
westoelad

Postby Making_Splinters » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:26 pm

westoelad wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:The Inquest has decided that there was no culpable party in, Hughes' death. What the hell was the point of this decidedly unsavoury review that at various times tried to insinuate that players were responsible when it was already established that this was not the case. Disgraceful, those involved need to take a long hard look at their moral and ethical responsibilities of their roles because the whole thing careened between vindictiveness and *modded*.

An inquest was required because that's the legal process that has to be carried out to establish the cause of death. The verdict cleared the players. Without it, the doubt or insinuation would have remained.

Sorry, but I complete disagree that there was any insinuation or doubt in the first place. The entire cricketing fraternity mourned Hughes and accepted it was a tragic accident that could have happened to any player. There has never been any suggestion that players or captains involved were culpable in any way before this inquest. As for the cause of death, it's pretty damn obvious, not to be overly blunt about the whole matter, and has had measures brought in already. While I don't know the full ins and outs of the Australian legal system, I find it hard to believe there was a legal requirement for the inquest to be carried out in the way it was.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby westoelad » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:40 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:
westoelad wrote:

Sorry, but I complete disagree that there was any insinuation or doubt in the first place. The entire cricketing fraternity mourned Hughes and accepted it was a tragic accident that could have happened to any player. There has never been any suggestion that players or captains involved were culpable in any way before this inquest. As for the cause of death, it's pretty damn obvious, not to be overly blunt about the whole matter, and has had measures brought in already. While I don't know the full ins and outs of the Australian legal system, I find it hard to believe there was a legal requirement for the inquest to be carried out in the way it was.

I'm sorry. I was merely making the point that an inquest is a legal requirement to establish the exact circumstances in which the fatality occurred- the post mortem established the cause of death.Inevitably then some pertinent questions need to be asked to establish perfect clarity on the events leading up to the tragedy.It will be hurtful for those involved naturally but unavoidable. Hughes' family surely have the right to the legal procedure if they're ever to gain closure.
westoelad

Postby sussexpob » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:54 pm

I am not sure inquests into deaths are actually mandatory, only when someone raises a concern that their is a possible suspicion? Or thats my understanding.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby westoelad » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:13 pm

sussexpob wrote:I am not sure inquests into deaths are actually mandatory, only when someone raises a concern that their is a possible suspicion? Or thats my understanding.

In England a coroner's officer, normally a senior police official, will examine the circumstances to decide whether an inquest is required. Hughes situation was extremely unusual which,I assume, would necessitate further investigation to establish clarity and doesn't necessarily imply suspicion. Hughes family would understandably wish for that clarity but I don't think family have the right to an inquest unconditionally.
westoelad

Postby GarlicJam » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:08 am

Young Victorian up-and-comer Will Pucovski, who was concussed in his debut match (last season) and only made it back last week, has just been struck by a bouncer and has had to retire hurt.

The ball was bowled by Sean Abbott...

Abbott has remained on the field, and according to radio reports, is visibly upset. When he started bowling again, it was quite erratic, at least to start.

I hope the pair of them are OK.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby Durhamfootman » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:42 pm

indeed
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby andy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:56 pm

Have to feel for Abbott...wonder what is in his mind, as this happened again, wonder if he will just eventually not bowl the bouncer..
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Previous

Return to International Cricket