Phillip Hughes (1988-2014)

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Phillip Hughes (1988-2014)

Postby Aidan11 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:03 am

Saw some of the funeral on Sky. Very moving. Clarke was very emotional. Seems like the whole town turned out to remember Phillip.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby dan08 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:52 am

2011 Sri Lanka v Australia ODI FL guru
2011 India v West Indies ODI FL guru
2012 Bangladesh Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 West Indies v New Zealand Test FL guru
2012 Sri Lanka Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 India v England Test FL guru
2014 Australian Open Tennis FL guru
2014 Australia v England T20 FL guru
2017 ICC Champions Trophy FL guru
dan08

Team(s) Supported: England, Kent, Malaysia, Manchester United

Postby sussexpob » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:57 am

I find filming a funeral distasteful in the extreme. It makes what should be reflective and intimate thing into a soap opera.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Aidan11 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:07 am

I wasn't comfortable with it but the family seemed to be ok with it.

I just hope theydidn't feel they were under any pressure to have it televised.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby GarlicJam » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:36 am

sussexpob wrote:I find filming a funeral distasteful in the extreme. It makes what should be reflective and intimate thing into a soap opera.

I am surprised at your comment.

This was a national, nay, global mourning. It was a State Funeral. It was there for the public.

It all went ahead (obviously) with the approval of the family, if not even (which I suspect) their directive - they seem to be fully aware how much their son/brother/etc's death meant to the general populace, and wished to support the public in the way that they have been supported by them (us). While I didn't watch it, I probably would have, if I hadn't been working.

While there IS a private memorial service coming up for him, I am sure that the great majority of the general public would have understood if the family had decided on a private funeral.

Aiden: they may well have. Hopefully not too much. Then again, I imagine that seeing such huge national concern over Hughes' death would be a small measure of comfort to the family - possible insignificant atm, but maybe something that will mean more to them as time passes.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby KipperJohn » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:45 am

Hughes was a public sporting figure of some repute - hopefully his family will find some small comfort in the knowledge that people worldwide, especially cricket lovers, were genuinely moved as I was from the clip I saw.

One could argue that a memorial service later would have been more apt - but it seemed to me to be in keeping with the mood of the family and Australia generally.
KipperJohn

Postby sussexpob » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:14 pm

I fail to see how publishing pictures of Phil's mother and father crying their eyes out is in anyway supportive or respectful, more intrusive and voyeuristic. Something's you have said I agree with, maybe without the media and public's heartfelt reaction to this the Hughes family may have faired worse, maybe they agreed to it as a way of dealing with their pain, and trying to share it with others.... but I don't believe that makes us, the public, in anyway a stakeholder of comparable interest to his actual family and friends. I fail to believe that, even if the net effect of public interest has been positive, having national tv cameras with that added pressure was good for the family in anyway. They aren't media savvy celebrities, just normal people. Surely that put extra stress on them at a time they didn't need it?

I mean, who you film a family members funeral? What does one get from watching it? I cant understand the psyche of it
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby rich1uk » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:18 pm

i'm kinda with sussex on this one

people at a funeral have their emotions completely exposed for all to see and i'm not sure that's something that I would want broadcast live if it was me
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby mikesiva » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:47 pm

Aidan11 wrote:Saw some of the funeral on Sky. Very moving. Clarke was very emotional. Seems like the whole town turned out to remember Phillip.

Very moving....
:cry:
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby The Waugh Twins » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:53 pm

Just saw the video on AOL of Phil being struck, and I am shocked at how the medical staff handled it. I had a friend three months ago collapse and his heart stopped instantly. Fortunately their was another friend their whom had performed CPR before and saved another persons life. He also was able to save our friends life and another fortunate aspect of the incident was that it took less than five minutes for the paramedics to arrive as the station was 400 yards away.
Sadly today he doesn't know who I am or who his kids are yet, but he's improving a little every day.

All aside why on earth did they pick Phill up off the ground and put him on that ridiculous what ever it was. No oxygen either and what was he doing sticking his fingers down his throat and checking his pulse after they had picked him up. Sheer panic is what I saw. Very sad that someone didn't hold their head during this crisis. Not saying that he may have survived, but many do these days with the technology we have.
The Waugh Twins

Team(s) Supported: United, Giants, Yankees, Galaxy, Oz cricket, CollyWobles

Postby GarlicJam » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:53 pm

sussexpob wrote:I fail to see how publishing pictures of Phil's mother and father crying their eyes out is in anyway supportive or respectful, more intrusive and voyeuristic. Something's you have said I agree with, maybe without the media and public's heartfelt reaction to this the Hughes family may have faired worse, maybe they agreed to it as a way of dealing with their pain, and trying to share it with others.... but I don't believe that makes us, the public, in anyway a stakeholder of comparable interest to his actual family and friends. I fail to believe that, even if the net effect of public interest has been positive, having national tv cameras with that added pressure was good for the family in anyway. They aren't media savvy celebrities, just normal people. Surely that put extra stress on them at a time they didn't need it?

I mean, who you film a family members funeral? What does one get from watching it? I cant understand the psyche of it

I must admit to not seeing any of Hughes' family in the small amounts of footage I saw, aside from hugging Clarke. I agree with your comment above.

This where the media should have shown a little discretion and self control, but is that an oxymoron?

Thes ervice itself, that's a different matter.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:21 pm

They got Phil Hughes to hospital alive though Waugh Twins. He didn't die of a bodged resuscitation. He died of a rupture to a blood vessel. That's pretty different and a lot less straightforward than an MI. Putting him on a trolley, or transporting him from the middle before the ambulance got there doesn't make sense to me though. I imagine there will be some analysis done and new systems put in place. But but could you reasonably prepare for an injury like that? He was ventilated before he got to hospital, which would be the ambulance staff, so that part went well.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby GarlicJam » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:26 pm

apparently, there were two doctors on the scene before the ambulance got there.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:43 pm

Yes, I think one of them was shouted down from a stand. But I doubt they had a ventilator at the ground. Presumably the doctors at the ground gave CPR and life support drugs and fluids. Maybe they did have that equipment, I'm just guessing. I'm mainly saying that given the injury, I don't really see what else the medics at the ground could have done. The patient was alive when he got to the hospital.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby The Waugh Twins » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:36 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:They got Phil Hughes to hospital alive though Waugh Twins. He didn't die of a bodged resuscitation. He died of a rupture to a blood vessel. That's pretty different and a lot less straightforward than an MI. Putting him on a trolley, or transporting him from the middle before the ambulance got there doesn't make sense to me though. I imagine there will be some analysis done and new systems put in place. But but could you reasonably prepare for an injury like that? He was ventilated before he got to hospital, which would be the ambulance staff, so that part went well.

Oh OK someone wrote he had died there and then, didn't know that. Have not followed any of it apart from knowing it happened via facebook from a friend who was at the ground. Thanks for that info Arthur I should probably read a bit more, but our internet has been out for a week and my eyes and my smart phone are not compatible. I do apologize.
The Waugh Twins

Team(s) Supported: United, Giants, Yankees, Galaxy, Oz cricket, CollyWobles

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket