Australia and life without Michael Clarke.

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Australia and life without Michael Clarke.

Postby from_the_stands » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:25 am

I remember as a kid, the impending retirements of Greg Chappell, Rod Marsh, and Dennis Keith Lillee made it seem as though life would never quite be the same again. Then it was AB, Tubby, Billy, the Waughs, McGrath & Warney, Gilly, Haydos, and Punter. Now it seems that Michael Clarke is about to ride off into the sunset (toward a hospital for scans and goodness knows what else), leaving a rising giant to ponder life without one of its finest warriors. And the timing is terrible. A Test series has just gotten under way, engulfed in high emotion following possibly the saddest tragedy the game has witnessed. A home World Cup with the hosts as favourites is only months away. And an Ashes campaign is looming in six months.

There would appear to be a consensus in that Steve Smith will most likely be our next captain, becoming the youngest Oz captain since Kim Hughes. Having now seen a bit of Smith, he is absolutely the best choice, and he's ready. A case could be made for Dave "put up your dukes" Warner, but I'd like to see him concentrating on his batting, which is absolutely electrifying right now. In Smith, I reckon Australia potentially has a leader capable of leading the team through an era of domination not unlike the those golden years under Taylor, Waugh and Punter in his first few years as skipper. Australia dominating the game for the next ten years is something that sits very well in my part of the world. Someone has to rule it, so it might as well be us!

In terms of replacing Clarke in the batting order, that's a toughie, especially since we haven't really replaced Ponting at 3! Steve smith looks certain to move up to 4, which would have been unthinkable 2 years ago. I must admit, I'm not jumping over the moon about this, having ony just gotten used to him at 5, where I think his long term future is. Shaun Marsh appears to be the man coming in at 5, which could work out well (or not) given that Mitch Marsh is at 6. The thing is, Shaun Marsh is just as injury prone as Clarke... and Twatto. The man I'd like to see in there in the short term is Adam Voges, but I can't see that happening unless players come down with injuries left, right and centre (which could happen). Long term, as I've already suggested on other threads, the man who slots in here is Chris Lynn, but alas, he's currently injured... sigh. As for who comes in for Twatto the next time he hurts himself (which could happen) or the selectors come to their senses and get rid of him, (which is unlikely to happen any time soon), we might see someone new at some point, or we may see Alex Doolan or Usman Khawaja given another run. If the selectors went down this road, I have a hunch that they would go for Khawaja. If they went for someone new, then possibly Joe Burns, particularly if the selectors pension Chris Rogers off and recall Ed Cowan, who is on fire this season with four fc centuries from 5 matches.

It'll be interesting to see how this all pans out, if Pup does call it a day. Some big decisions would appear to be looming for Rod Marsh et al. An exciting period is awaiting Australian cricket.

The top 6 I would like to see in Brisbane;

Ed Cowan
Dave Warner
Joe Burns
Steve Smith (c)
Adan Voges
Mitch Marsh

The top 6 we will see in Brisbane;

Chris Rogers
Dave Warner
Shane Watson
Steve Smith
Shaun Marsh
Mitch Marsh

The top 6 in 2-3 years;

Dave Warner
Joe Burns
Usman Khawaja
Chris Lynn
Steve Smith (c)
Mitch Marsh

:Aus:
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Re: Australia and life without Michael Clarke.

Postby Durhamfootman » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:24 am

I confess that the idea of Steve Smith (or Sean Smith as Scyld Berry would probably call him) becoming captain seems faintly ridiculous to me, but then I thought that Smith as a test player was equally ridiculous, and he went on to become a very fine test player, so why not?
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby Durhamfootman » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:25 am

Do Aus bother with vice captains?

Will it be Haddin who takes the arm band for the rest of this series?
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby from_the_stands » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:26 am

Smith has been given the nod, and will lead the Aussies for the remainder of the series.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby from_the_stands » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:27 am

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby from_the_stands » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:28 am

It hasn't been announced on channel 9 yet, on account of the siege in Sydney being all over the news.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby Gingerfinch » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:25 am

Don't know much about Smith, but he looks like the sort of captain that will be a little unorthodox. His batting has come on, so no problems with his warranting a place. Thought Warner might have been in with a shout. He's a bit calmer than he was a year or so ago.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby GarlicJam » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:43 am

What captaincy experience Warner has is a big question to ask if considering him as candidate. Smith on the other hand, has had a fair bit. I can't recall any controversy he has been involved in, either.

I am happy with the choice. Preferably it would have happened in another year, but now will have to do.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby Aidan11 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:19 am

I've always thought of Aussie captains as tough, gritty characters (Kim Hughes aside, of course).

Smith doesn't fit that criteria for me.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby yuppie » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:18 am

Smith becomes captain with less than 2000 test runs and only 5 test hundreds. 3rd youngest in the team as well.

He is the second best bat in the team at present behind Warner, and can take the odd useful wicket if he bowls himself. I get and understand the decision, but i cant help but think he has not finished with the development of his batting. As a batsman he is not the finished article for me and i think the burden of being captain might stunt this development.

I like Smith as a batsman, and i think he is much tougher than many give him credit for. I liked the fight he showed in the UAE and how he was always dissapointed when he got out. Seemed like he always thought he could save the match no matter the situation.

I see Kim Hughes mentioned a lot. I hope people are not expecting the same thing to happen to Smith. I actually think AB is a better comparison. Unorthodox batsman, part time spinner, quitely spoken, steely determination, good feilders. Main difference is that AB didnt want the job and Smith is in a settled team and has not been pushed into the job.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:52 pm

It looks like he is only skipper while Clarke is out. If Clarke returns, he comes back as captain.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby m@tt » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:03 pm

from_the_stands wrote:There would appear to be a consensus in that Steve Smith will most likely be our next captain, becoming the youngest Oz captain since Kim Hughes. Having now seen a bit of Smith, he is absolutely the best choice, and he's ready. In Smith, I reckon Australia potentially has a leader capable of leading the team through an era of domination not unlike the those golden years under Taylor, Waugh and Punter in his first few years as skipper. Australia dominating the game for the next ten years is something that sits very well in my part of the world. Someone has to rule it, so it might as well be us!

A bold claim!

Good on Australia in making a strong choice.

I have fuzzy memories of last year at Trent Bridge, many beers down, telling the Aussies in front of me that I liked Smith as a player - he had something about him, but just didn't look quite good enough. (Sadly I have no memory at all of Hughes batting at the other end). Not sure if that was a compliment - do Australians want their players to be liked by the English?! Respected, feared, but liked?
Andy Flower wrote:This is going to test my coaching expertise. This is the worst case I've ever seen.
m@tt

Team(s) Supported: .
England and Warwickshire.

Also tend to follow any former/current/prospective England players.

606 Username: matt_h88

Postby from_the_stands » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:47 pm

m@tt wrote:
from_the_stands wrote:There would appear to be a consensus in that Steve Smith will most likely be our next captain, becoming the youngest Oz captain since Kim Hughes. Having now seen a bit of Smith, he is absolutely the best choice, and he's ready. In Smith, I reckon Australia potentially has a leader capable of leading the team through an era of domination not unlike the those golden years under Taylor, Waugh and Punter in his first few years as skipper. Australia dominating the game for the next ten years is something that sits very well in my part of the world. Someone has to rule it, so it might as well be us!

A bold claim!

Good on Australia in making a strong choice.

I have fuzzy memories of last year at Trent Bridge, many beers down, telling the Aussies in front of me that I liked Smith as a player - he had something about him, but just didn't look quite good enough. (Sadly I have no memory at all of Hughes batting at the other end). Not sure if that was a compliment - do Australians want their players to be liked by the English?! Respected, feared, but liked?

As a die hard Aussie, I can honestly say that I prefer the English to loathe our players, as we do when England have some decent players. Loathing an Ashes opponent is really a round-about way of rating a worthy adversary. KP, for example, is loathed over here, yet he is a worthy adversary, or a formidable opponent. I'm guessing the Poms have a love-hate thing for the likes of Shane Warne and Glenn "Australia will win 5-0" McGrath. Ricky Ponting was another villain. Steve Smith is still young. Give him time. He might just take a swing at Joe Root next year. What will you think of him then?

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby GarlicJam » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:32 pm

He doesn't need to resort to violence, fts, a mere 4 or 5 centuries during the Ashes will do the job nicely.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby from_the_stands » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:15 am

GarlicJam wrote:He doesn't need to resort to violence, fts, a mere 4 or 5 centuries during the Ashes will do the job nicely.

Yeah, that would work. He could then endear himself further by claiming that England never had a chance without KP.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Next

Return to International Cricket