Cook Must Go. NOW! (As test captain)

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Cook Must Go. NOW! (As test captain)

Postby Aidan11 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:39 pm

Test series now seem to be won quite a lot by the home side.

So Cook will have a good summer but likely a bad winter.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby Alviro Patterson » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:02 am

I would have thought the pressure is off Cook when it comes to test captaincy and is no longer burdened with the limited overs role. His overall record as test captain is rather solid witth 18 test wins under three different coaching regimes. A good tour of either the UAE or South Africa and there is a chance Cook could match Vaughan's record of 26 wins as early as summer 2016 and that is something to aim for as a personal milestone.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby captaincolly » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:42 am

Comments from Cook in yesterday's papers about how he considered resigning during the West Indies series but was talked out if it by Peter Moores. He now says he is not thinking of resigning the captaincy and will ( subject to approval) definitely carry on in the role after this series.
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby Making_Splinters » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:10 pm

captaincolly wrote:Comments from Cook in yesterday's papers about how he considered resigning during the West Indies series but was talked out if it by Peter Moores. He now says he is not thinking of resigning the captaincy and will ( subject to approval) definitely carry on in the role after this series.

First his Wife, now Moores. I find it very strange that Cook has twice come out and said he's been thinking of giving up the Captaincy. He comes across as very insecure, especially when combined with his habbit of collaring Journos who write criticism of him.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby captaincolly » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:19 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:
captaincolly wrote:Comments from Cook in yesterday's papers about how he considered resigning during the West Indies series but was talked out if it by Peter Moores. He now says he is not thinking of resigning the captaincy and will ( subject to approval) definitely carry on in the role after this series.

First his Wife, now Moores. I find it very strange that Cook has twice come out and said he's been thinking of giving up the Captaincy. He comes across as very insecure, especially when combined with his habbit of collaring Journos who write criticism of him.

He did say that one reason he's more settled is that some ex-players/captains who were critical are back onside. I can't remember the exact wording but it was along those lines.
captaincolly

Postby captaincolly » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:24 pm

From The Sunday Times:

Cook admitted that a factor in England’s success was improved relations with former captains working in the media. “What I found tough with the Kevin Pietersen affair was that every time we had a bad day it was my fault, whether it was or wasn’t. That experience will never happen again. The big shift is that old players have come into the dressing room again. Maybe we were naive to think they couldn’t help. Inviting them in has made a difference. The important thing now is that we put in a performance and go 4-1. That’s what drove me [after winning the Ashes], the thought that we can beat these guys 4-1.”
captaincolly

Postby Making_Splinters » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:45 pm

captaincolly wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:

He did say that one reason he's more settled is that some ex-players/captains who were critical are back onside. I can't remember the exact wording but it was along those lines.

I struggle to think of a Captain in the modern era who has displayed so little resilience, such self importance, such little tactical nouse and such a victim mentality as Cook. The closest would probably be Kim Hughes, but he at least had the excuse that he wasn't given the Teams that Cook has had during his career.

England are about to go on two very tough tours against a Pakistan side that has never lost in the UAE - could be wrong on that - and the top ranked Test side in South Africa. If he's only a happy bunny when people are singing his praises then he's likely going to be thinking of quitting again by this time next year.

How can a Test side have a skipper who can't hack a bit of pressure?
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:02 am

Wonder how Cook will cope if he was Indian or Australian considering the Indian /Australian media can be so personal when India or Australia loses.

just in the past 12 months the media have had a massive rant at the wives and Girlfriends.
Virat Kohli in particular got attacked a lot for having his girlfriend follow him in England and Australia.

Don't even think the Criticism of Cook or English players are even that bad from Sky or the English media.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:51 am

The press and tv are pretty toothless now. Looking at the Ashes 2005 dvd, the press criticism for a side that had won in SA and every Test of the previous summer was quite strong. Throughout Cook's two years without a ton, the press willed him to that landmark, rather than criticised for not making it. There wasn't much serious clammer to get rid of him. They said there is no alternative. But then, Cook's sensitivity is part of an ECB process, carried out by Downton and now Strauss. I doubt it was Cook's idea to invite the press into the dressing room. This was touted as inspirational ex stars giving motivational speeches to the team, but it didn't take much insight to see through that.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby sussexpob » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:25 pm

Cook recent interview seems to confirm he doesnt understand the self sacrificing nature of what it means to be a leader, yet is narcissistic in lapping up praise for a test series victory inside which his personal contributions to England's victories have been very thin on the ground. In the field, I remember more his bizarre field placings in the first two tests, then anything worthwhile he has done.... with the bat, his only worthy contribution came in a game England had basically already lost, and he has dropped probably the most catches in the side at slip.

I find it amusing that Cook's ability at public speaking is so poor, he has the audacity to claim this whole raft of self centered clap trap about him being a better captain, and inferring his leadership meant so much when England win, yet wants to count every bean of blame and detract attention away from all the negatives when it is his fault, or where its not only his fault. The post world cup thing attitude and sass was an embarressment to him.

Does he not realise he is only in a job still because sacking him was an admission of fault after they blamed KP for everything, but that turned to not help that much? That the press dont get you anywhere as near as you have deserved because they are on the ECB hackroll? That Moores only talked you up because he knoew if you went, he was gone too, and that Strauss only talks you up because he has more invested in the "anti KP is a ****" brigade".

Captainy - Rubbish. Hasnt a clue
Batting - Not been good enough for 3 years consistently, would have probably have been dropped by now if anyone else.
Inspiration - Can this reading be negative?
Personality - Selfish, self centered, unenlightened, uninteresting, unpassionate.
Intelligence - Doesnt seem to grasp easy political concepts; also doesnt grasp the grand picture and how his negative "me me" comments never help.... verging on slight autism, and not in a rain man way.
Never say die attitude - If he could channel his never say "I quit" attitude to his job and install it in his batting or team, we would get top marks. But he does, so its a low score.
Leadership - Thinks leadership is a badge given to people. Never backs team mates unless they are in the press saying how awesome he is, if they arent, quit happy to blame them.
Bravery - Stands aside and watches people hack friends to death and then joins in, never commits to anything. Cricket Captain Equivalent of an Italian World War governemnt. Zero
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Durhamfootman » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:49 pm

I find it staggering that people are criticising Cook

we've just won the ashes

that makes everything...... and I do mean everything (or at least the ECB do)...... brilliantly conceived, brilliantly communicated, and brilliantly executed.

apparently!
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:00 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:The press and tv are pretty toothless now. Looking at the Ashes 2005 dvd, the press criticism for a side that had won in SA and every Test of the previous summer was quite strong. .

I mean, after the defeat at Lord's.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:34 pm

sussexpob wrote:Bravery - Stands aside and watches people hack friends to death and then joins in

He did stand by Prior when Prior was injured, and Cook stood in front of the crowd and said Prior would be keeper for as long as the keeper wanted. And then in backing Matt, told the press Buttler wasn't ready yet. So, Buttler came into the side on the back of a vote of no confidence from the skipper. A typically Cookish hodgepodge.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby sussexpob » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:59 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:
sussexpob wrote:Bravery - Stands aside and watches people hack friends to death and then joins in

He did stand by Prior when Prior was injured, and Cook stood in front of the crowd and said Prior would be keeper for as long as the keeper wanted. And then in backing Matt, told the press Buttler wasn't ready yet. So, Buttler came into the side on the back of a vote of no confidence from the skipper. A typically Cookish hodgepodge.

See leadership comments. Matt Prior took brown-nosing Ali Cook to another level when his form died and his fitness cast doubts on his career. It was a classic case of "dont forget me boss", and as commented above, if you are prepared to be positive about Cook he more than happy to reciprocate.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Previous

Return to International Cricket