Dhoni retires from tests

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Dhoni retires from tests

Postby ddb » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:31 pm

rich1uk wrote:I just got the impression that over the last couple of years he looked to lose heart during games when things were going against india and I don't think a captain can give that impression, my impression might be completely wrong but that was how he looked towards the end of the last couple of tours , and he seemed to shrug off defeats a bit too easily and just accept that away from home it was hard for india to win

Yeah I agree, I think this is where his style of captaincy came up short. He was very detached, maybe too much by the end. He just let games pass him by because he learnt to be emotionless. We started off okay and then by the 2nd or 3rd tests we weren't even turning up and that was reflected in how Dhoni lead the team. He puts trust in players and waits and waits to seek the initiative.

You know with Virat every loss will hurt him, well I hope.
Intent

IPL 2009 Prediction League Champion 2009-10 footy prediction guru Joint 2010 footy final placings guru 2010 Eng vs Bang combined prediction guru 2011 World Cup Fantasy
ddb

Postby shankycricket » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:16 pm

bhaveshgor wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:
bhaveshgor wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:
bhaveshgor wrote:I just think it is insulting for anyone to question his love for Test cricket.
People are free to criticise his captaincy but to say he doesn't care about test cricket is not on.

Why is it not on? What reason is there to arbitrarily say we can't question a player's commitment? Over the year's KPs commitment to ODIs have been called into question many times, I don't recall anyone saying, "Oh you can't do that, it's not on".

I wasn't on this forum when it happened.

In reality it is wrong to question any player commitment in cricket.

Why is it wrong? You're not offering any explanation for this statement. Player's are not above criticism in any aspect of their game.

You are literally questioning the player motivation, motives for playing the game.
Do you honestly think players don't give a *modded* about their performances, would lose purposely and actually have no motivation to play in any formats of the game.

If Dhoni never cared about test he would never take blows to the body from Mitchell johnson, Broad and co.
You can Criticise his captaincy, Technique, Fielding or anything cricket related but to actually say he never cared about test or never really wanted to play is insulting to the man.

IF Dhoni or anyone for the matter never cared about the Sport they would never be an international cricketer let alone play 90 test matches for their countries.

You've lost the plot........ :roll:
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:19 pm

I hope Kohli is in the middle of the spectrum.
if he cares too much it will effect his captaincy/ batting, lets not forget this is india it is very likely india will lose matches abroad.
If the losses don't show to affect him we will have another Dhoni in the field.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby shankycricket » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:26 pm

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www. ... Tq62BvPZmA

Not the greatest endorsement of Test cricket by a.captain after a humiliating defeat.

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:46 pm

What difference does it make on which defeat he rates the worst.

End of the day it is stupid for anyone that has never played Test cricket to criticise Dhoni for not liking a format where no one even know what Dhoni really thinks about the format.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby shankycricket » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:55 pm

And by the way, there are very good commercial reasons for carrying on playing Test cricket, even if you don't care. His brand value in India and IPL would go down significantly if he is no longer the Test captain. A test captain is the face of the nation in cricket and both Dhoni and Srinivasan knew it all too well. There was really no logical cricketing reason for him to carry on post the home series debacle against England.

shankycricket

Postby meninblue » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:45 am

bhaveshgor wrote:
IF Dhoni or anyone for the matter never cared about the Sport they would never be an international cricketer let alone play 90 test matches for their countries.

I agree. Even if they play one test then there is lot of effort behind it since they are 10. I don't need to be convinced on that. How much efforts the school kids take i see it even now . :thumb
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby Making_Splinters » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:50 pm

Reading Shastri's interview about the Dhoni retirement it seems as if this is something that Dhoni had been considering for a long time, either that or he is incredibly impulsive.

I wonder if this was a sly dig at Tendulkar:

He hasn't waited to complete 100 Tests and all such pointless statistical stuff.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby shankycricket » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:44 am

Making_Splinters wrote:Reading Shastri's interview about the Dhoni retirement it seems as if this is something that Dhoni had been considering for a long time, either that or he is incredibly impulsive.

I wonder if this was a sly dig at Tendulkar:

He hasn't waited to complete 100 Tests and all such pointless statistical stuff.

If it is pre-planned, then it is shocking. He pre-planned to retire midway through a series in Australia???

shankycricket

Previous

Return to International Cricket