Virat's captaincy watch

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Virat's captaincy watch

Postby meninblue » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:19 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:
Adi wrote:
cricketfan90 wrote:Adi are you afraid he may burn himself out? Plays all forms for every side he plays for...scores a lot of runs, so always in the middle, and he captains aggresively both physically and mentally...a chance he may burn out?

The advantage is he hardly bowls in IPL, ODI, Tests . But yes it's a fact that he plays in all formats. However, if you see, BCCI has managed him well resting him for one or two series against lesser nations. Such planned rests will help him manage workload. I don't think that burnout will be an issue going by the way things are planned with regards to him.

wasn't talking about bowling...i meant it as in, he gives 100% all the time, and he will burn himself out through his efforts batting, and the way he captains the side..it will take a lot out of him, physically and mentally..

He is being rested previously and he can ask for rest to BCCI. It is manageable.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby meninblue » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:25 pm

Seems like Virat is bowlers captian, playing 5 bowlers as whenever he sees slightest opportunity to play the 5 bowlers he goes with 6 +5 combo.

Ashwin also bowled defensive line under Dhoni, whereas since Virat has taken over he is bowling the off and middle more rather than bowling relatively lot of leg sides to choke runs.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Virat

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:26 pm

I know Kohli got Ashwin and world class spinners but you captaining well if you dismiss teams cheaply on Vizag, mohali and Mumbai on first innings.
I know england got 400 in Mumbai but if england didn't play well england could be 250-300 all out.
I really don't see how Kohli captaincy in setting fields or being very defensive coming from.
I actually think he been attacking and Defending at the right times and setting fields when appropriate.

Think Nasser been the most vocal in kohli poor captaincy.

These day captaincy is a tough gig especially when the media can have agendas.
Cook was attacked all the time by Warne to make his aussie mates looks better as a captain and I really sense kohli getting attacked for the sake of it now.
very difficult as well considering it is always easier to captain the team from the tv box or the sofa.

for the matter don't think Cook captained that poorly either in 2013, but somehow was getting caned for small things by warne that was spreading like fire.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:53 pm

Good article on Kohli captaincy.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-eng ... 72337.html
wonder what other people think about Kohli captaincy in this series especially the fields and bowling changes.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:10 pm

I've only really heard pople say he's defensive, not really that he's been a poor captain. Might find out more about him away from home.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:30 pm

True Arthur, can't remember many calling him poor.
yep big test comes away from home.
Especially the killer year in 2018 to 2019.

Although when commentators go on about the defensive part when he really not being that defensive does sound like people are calling him poor though, guessing that is how cook felt when Warne would attack him for every tiny mistake.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:39 pm

One thing that not been picked up is how better Kohli been placing his field when he first started he was very McCullum like having over the top attacking fields, always trying to look for wickets, didn't really care about control etc.
Think he learnt from the Australian series that he can't take wickets or win games if the bowlers are conceding runs quickly.
but now I think he balances between control and going for the kill nicely.
not sure many captains actually do that well.
they either very attacking or always looking for control.

Not sure I would call kohli a captain that likes control like Nasser thinks he is, just reckon kohli only going for control in this series because that what been working and the fact Kohli/Ashwin really rate this england side.
http://www.bcci.tv/videos/id/3540/ravic ... yant-yadav

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:54 pm

i suppose by saying he's defensive, the implication is that he's either too defensive or surprisingly defensive.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:00 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:i suppose by saying he's defensive, the implication is that he's either too defensive or surprisingly defensive.

Guessing this part then.
Although do think Kohli having a poor Rajkot game contributed to it as well.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby backfootpunch » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:13 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:i suppose by saying he's defensive, the implication is that he's either too defensive or surprisingly defensive.

I'd set defensive fields if I was playing against England

Stop most of our batsmen from scoring freely and they will get themselves out
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:25 pm

It is a good tactic when cook been giving his wicket away most of the time in this series.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:54 pm

Not necessarily. If the field is back they don't need to play big shots. They can push three an over in singles.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:52 pm

Pretty hard Arthur when you can't get singles either.
If the pitch got low bounce any accurate spinner can be very economical easily.

Think kohli only really been giving one easy singles and that to mid on or off and that usually early in the spell, comes back up later on.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby meninblue » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:04 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Not necessarily. If the field is back they don't need to play big shots. They can push three an over in singles.

It would be poor strategy to not have fielders close to the bat, especially if the bowlers can turn the ball both ways or the ball is bouncing and spinning enough to get bat and pad. Batsman would prefer nobody in catching position on either side of wicket.
meninblue

Postby meninblue » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:23 pm

Virat wins his very first ODI series as captain versus England. 2-0. Can he win it 3-0.
meninblue

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket