Virat's captaincy watch

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Virat's captaincy watch

Postby ddb » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:43 pm

It's giving others a chance and reminding Che that his place isn't a given based on his poor record in 2014. It is a dead rubber to both teams and a chance to change things up.

Average of 24 over 10 tests is bad, sadly, and I can see the reasoning of wanting to make that point. Dhoni, people forget, dropped him down the order in the last game so the message was there that maybe they were thinking of trying someone else at 3.

In the long run how is this a bad decision? For this game it may have been. But it makes Che work harder. It is 1 test at the end of a series. We have no tests now for ages.

I don't understand the Raina pick but I never have, he shouldn't be in the squad.
Intent

IPL 2009 Prediction League Champion 2009-10 footy prediction guru Joint 2010 footy final placings guru 2010 Eng vs Bang combined prediction guru 2011 World Cup Fantasy
ddb

Postby shankycricket » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:13 pm

ddb wrote:It's giving others a chance and reminding Che that his place isn't a given based on his poor record in 2014. It is a dead rubber to both teams and a chance to change things up.

Average of 24 over 10 tests is bad, sadly, and I can see the reasoning of wanting to make that point. Dhoni, people forget, dropped him down the order in the last game so the message was there that maybe they were thinking of trying someone else at 3.

In the long run how is this a bad decision? For this game it may have been. But it makes Che work harder. It is 1 test at the end of a series. We have no tests now for ages.

I don't understand the Raina pick but I never have, he shouldn't be in the squad.

:thumb

Happy with Rohit, ddb? Just asking.
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby GarlicJam » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:08 am

He's gotta be given points for bringing Aswin on straight up in the 2nd innings. Got Warner immediately.

How long will he keep him on, though, in light of the attack Rogers and Twatto have launched on him?
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby Albondiga » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:24 pm

I don't know if Know if Kholi will make a good captain but he doesn't seem frightened of the job One think is for certain he is one hell of a batsman.
Albondiga

Postby meninblue » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:21 am

Raina gets a game ahead of Chet and ends up with a golden pair. As i said before hopefully sense will sink in that Chet is a much better player tan many he is experimenting with at this point of time. Hopefully, this blunder won't be repeated in next test at least.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby Dr Cricket » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:18 am

good news for virat is that india are having a home season so no more 3-4 away tours a year which will make is job very hard.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/top- ... 831042.cms

Got to say Virat Kohli said some good things in the press after the tour.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby meninblue » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:55 am

So far,

Outside Asia the W-D-L stands at 0-1-1
Overall 0-1-1
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby meninblue » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:16 am

clubcricketeradi wrote:Raina gets a game ahead of Chet and ends up with a golden pair. As i said before hopefully sense will sink in that Chet is a much better player tan many he is experimenting with at this point of time. Hopefully, this blunder won't be repeated in next test at least.

Now Virat is under pressure of having Rohit at 3 in tests by dropping Chet.

Rohit has exceptional game for ODI format, but now he needs to score few good innings to avoid being dropped.
meninblue

Postby backfootpunch » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:49 pm

given india rely so heavily on virat to score the bulk of their runs they should have never made him captain

especially this early in his career

though i suppose there arent many other options
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:27 pm

bhaveshgor wrote:good news for virat is that india are having a home season so no more 3-4 away tours a year which will make is job very hard.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/top- ... 831042.cms

Got to say Virat Kohli said some good things in the press after the tour.

Seems to have handled the press much better than MSD's gnomic disdain.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:39 pm

It depends on what your definition of handling press is.

If it is the player keeping cool and not really giving too much away then Dhoni is better.
If it the player being honest and actually being good to watch then Kohli better although that might not be good if India are losing and the press start getting to him.

Dhoni was so boring in press conference would hardly say anything meaningful but speak so much.
So many journalist hated it, but it did kind of work took all the pressure out of the team.

Be interesting to see how Kohli copes when the media starts attacking him when india are having a bad run.
Didn't exactly cope well with the personal attacks in 2014, he lashed out at the media in Australia.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby meninblue » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:35 pm

I liked Virat's strategy because he said he will play 5 bowlers and he did. Selection strategy for this series is impressive imo. Hope he continues to play with 6+5 combo.
meninblue

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:40 pm

Although he also need to play 4 bowlers in the right conditions.
It was obvious this was a 4 bowler pitch.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby The Professor » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:03 pm

Personally I don't think their is a captain in international cricket that is a better tactician with his field settings than Kohli.
"It has been said of the unseen army of the dead, on their everlasting march, that when they are passing a rural cricket ground the Englishman falls out of the ranks for a moment to look over the gate and smile."
The Professor

Team(s) Supported: England
Kent

Postby shankycricket » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:41 pm

365notout wrote:Personally I don't think their is a captain in international cricket that is a better tactician with his field settings than Kohli.

Or worse with team selections.
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket