Your World Cup predictions

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Your World Cup predictions

Postby bigfluffylemon » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:14 am

Many are putting this down as the most open WC in years, but it wouldn't be CMS without some predictions. Here are mine.

Australia. Have been in great form all summer, tremendous depth of fast bowling in particular, strong batting and home advantage. The only question mark is over Clarke's fitness. Australia will be the team to beat. Prediction: Winner or runner up.

South Africa The 'choker' tag will continue to haunt them. A warm-up series in Australia suggested that there's still work to do, but there is no doubt SA are a strong contender. In ABdV and Amla they have two of the best batsmen in ODI cricket at the moment, and a strong pace line-up. However there is a lack of strength in depth in the squad - if those two batsmen fail to fire they could struggle. Prediction: Final or semi.

Sri Lanka Most experienced side in the competition, and runner up at the last two WCs, will this be their year? If it was in Asia I would say likely, but Sri Lanka rarely do well outside the subcontinent over a sustained campaign. The pitches in most of Australia will not be too bouncy, but they are likely to end up in NZ in the knockout stage which could be their undoing, although they've looked tidy there in the warm ups. Prediction: Semi final.

NZ 2014 was a wonder year for a side that usually overperforms in World Cups. Their form in warm ups has been strong and again there is home advantage. They probably don't have the quality to win, but I expect a strong performance. Prediction: Semi final, may sneak the final.

India Batting is (almost) as strong as ever, but India's pace battery looks very weak indeed and their record outside the subcontinent is abysmal. You can never write them off, as they are capable of beating anyone on the day, but the signs are not promising. Prediction: Semi final at best, more likely QF.

England After a lot of turmoil, England appear to be settling on a line up that amazingly looks to be in with a chance, but I think it is being overstated. On helpful pitches no-one will fancy facing their pace attack, unfortunately they won't get too many of those in Australia (maybe in NZ). Batting has the potential to be explosive but remains very fragile. I expect a major win over one of the other test playing sides that will get everyone's hopes up, some disappointing losses, and good enough performances against the associates to get through to the knockouts without ever looking good enough to win the thing. The inexperience in the squad makes it hard to see them going further. Prediction: QF.

Pakistan Always the most unpredictable team in world cricket. Their ODI performances in 2014 have been shocking, they have lost several key performers to suspect action and they are relying on ageing players. That said, they are unpredictable enough to cause a few upsets, and in a group with WI and three associates should do enough to get through to the knockouts. Prediction: QF

West Indies What a mess. Key players missing, squad morale is in the doldrums, and they've been hammered by South Africa in the lead up. With Gayle in the ranks a major victory is always a possibility (the man wins games on his own), but apart from England they look the most likely to suffer defeat at the hands of an associate. Prediction: QF, or maybe even an early exit.

Others The format of this World Cup makes it hard to see any associates making the knockouts, but there will no doubt be 'upset' victories scattered about. Ireland and Zimbabwe will both fancy their chances against WI and Pakistan, neither of whom have looked strong of late. Bangladesh may prey on England's general hopelessness against spin, although the pitches Down Under are highly unlikely to help. Scotland, Afghanistan and UAE are unlikely to feature anywhere.

So, how wrong can I be?
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Re: Your World Cup predictions

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:25 am

Good post. Agree with this, apart from I think it's not an open competition, Australia are massive favourites.

And I'm sure others will contest Gayle's match winning ability in ODIs!
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Durhamfootman » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:25 am

Australia have to be massive favourites, although as the OP suggests, NZ are looking very strong atm.

Gayle will have his usual one (and only one) explosive innings in the whole tournament which will further cement his undeserved reputation as a match winner. There are many players that I'd much prefer to have in a team of mine, ahead of Gayle
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby Aidan11 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:54 am

NZ to win.

Australia final or Semi Final.

Sri Lanka S/F

SA Semi Final

England second bottom of group.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby shankycricket » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:50 pm

bigfluffylemon wrote:Many are putting this down as the most open WC in years, but it wouldn't be CMS without some predictions. Here are mine.

Australia. Have been in great form all summer, tremendous depth of fast bowling in particular, strong batting and home advantage. The only question mark is over Clarke's fitness. Australia will be the team to beat. Prediction: Winner or runner up.

South Africa The 'choker' tag will continue to haunt them. A warm-up series in Australia suggested that there's still work to do, but there is no doubt SA are a strong contender. In ABdV and Amla they have two of the best batsmen in ODI cricket at the moment, and a strong pace line-up. However there is a lack of strength in depth in the squad - if those two batsmen fail to fire they could struggle. Prediction: Final or semi.

Sri Lanka Most experienced side in the competition, and runner up at the last two WCs, will this be their year? If it was in Asia I would say likely, but Sri Lanka rarely do well outside the subcontinent over a sustained campaign. The pitches in most of Australia will not be too bouncy, but they are likely to end up in NZ in the knockout stage which could be their undoing, although they've looked tidy there in the warm ups. Prediction: Semi final.

NZ 2014 was a wonder year for a side that usually overperforms in World Cups. Their form in warm ups has been strong and again there is home advantage. They probably don't have the quality to win, but I expect a strong performance. Prediction: Semi final, may sneak the final.

India : Batting is (almost) as strong as ever but India's pace battery looks very weak indeed and their record outside the subcontinent is abysmal. You can never write them off, as they are capable of beating anyone on the day, but the signs are not promising. Prediction: Semi final at best, more likely QF.

England After a lot of turmoil, England appear to be settling on a line up that amazingly looks to be in with a chance, but I think it is being overstated. On helpful pitches no-one will fancy facing their pace attack, unfortunately they won't get too many of those in Australia (maybe in NZ). Batting has the potential to be explosive but remains very fragile. I expect a major win over one of the other test playing sides that will get everyone's hopes up, some disappointing losses, and good enough performances against the associates to get through to the knockouts without ever looking good enough to win the thing. The inexperience in the squad makes it hard to see them going further. Prediction: QF.

Pakistan Always the most unpredictable team in world cricket. Their ODI performances in 2014 have been shocking, they have lost several key performers to suspect action and they are relying on ageing players. That said, they are unpredictable enough to cause a few upsets, and in a group with WI and three associates should do enough to get through to the knockouts. Prediction: QF

West Indies What a mess. Key players missing, squad morale is in the doldrums, and they've been hammered by South Africa in the lead up. With Gayle in the ranks a major victory is always a possibility (the man wins games on his own), but apart from England they look the most likely to suffer defeat at the hands of an associate. Prediction: QF, or maybe even an early exit.

Others The format of this World Cup makes it hard to see any associates making the knockouts, but there will no doubt be 'upset' victories scattered about. Ireland and Zimbabwe will both fancy their chances against WI and Pakistan, neither of whom have looked strong of late. Bangladesh may prey on England's general hopelessness against spin, although the pitches Down Under are highly unlikely to help. Scotland, Afghanistan and UAE are unlikely to feature anywhere.

So, how wrong can I be?

Which planet have you been living on? This is the weakest Indian ODI batting line up I've seen.

Also, have you checked Gayle's performances in ODIs over the last 2 years? A T20 hacker at best, nowadays.
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby backfootpunch » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:55 pm

south africa have by far the best team on paper, 2 of the best ODI batsmen of all time, the best fast bowler in the world and in imran tahir a spinner who averages 20.2 in ODIs

it will be between them australia and new zealand imo

for some reason i have a feeling new zealand will win
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

Postby Durhamfootman » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:10 pm

Aidan11 wrote:
England second bottom of group.

I think England ought to get out of the group, in 4th place, but I won't be surprised or shocked if they don't
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2017 The Open Golf FL
2015 Big Bash League FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Postby Gingerfinch » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:48 pm

Quarter-final 1 Australia v West Indies
Quarter-final 2 New Zealand v Pakistan
Quarter-final 3 England v India
Quarter-final 4 Sri-Lanka v South Africa

Semi Final 1 Australia v England
Semi Final 2 New Zealand v South Africa

Final Australia v South Africa

Winners South Africa
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby rich1uk » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:58 pm

aidan will board the outrage bus at least once

shanks will say "i told you so" to everyone when india win the tournament

peter moores will say England have a lot of positives to take from their quarter-final loss and will be a better team in 4 years time
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby Dr Cricket » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:25 pm

If their was a like button I will like your post rich.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby KipperJohn » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:25 am

A team from Pool A or Pool B will win it.
KipperJohn

Postby Making_Splinters » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:48 am

England will have an in depth review after their World Cup exit. Going one step further, they will not have a settled side in four years time.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby from_the_stands » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:18 am

I reckon we'll see a minnow qualify for the knock-outs, and I reckon it will be Afghanistan, who will get flogged by South Africa in the QF's, with the Saffas losing to NZ in the semis. The Oz-NZ final will go to a super over... and will end in a tie.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:58 am

from_the_stands wrote:I reckon we'll see a minnow qualify for the knock-outs, and I reckon it will be Afghanistan, who will get flogged by South Africa in the QF's, with the Saffas losing to NZ in the semis. The Oz-NZ final will go to a super over... and will end in a tie.

Aus and NZ will draw lots to see who has won, and England's name will be drawn out of the hat

Peter Moores receives a knighthood for turning around the fortunes of the England ODI team, every member of the England squad receives an MBE apart from Morgan who receives an OBE. Paul Downton is allowed to keep his job for life after England's stunning first global ODI trophy, and aidan is never heard of again
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2017 The Open Golf FL
2015 Big Bash League FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:02 am

Durhamfootman wrote:
from_the_stands wrote:I reckon we'll see a minnow qualify for the knock-outs, and I reckon it will be Afghanistan, who will get flogged by South Africa in the QF's, with the Saffas losing to NZ in the semis. The Oz-NZ final will go to a super over... and will end in a tie.

Aus and NZ will draw lots to see who has won, and England's name will be drawn out of the hat

Peter Moores receives a knighthood for turning around the fortunes of the England ODI team, every member of the England squad receives an MBE apart from Morgan who receives an OBE. Paul Downton is allowed to keep his job for life after England's stunning first global ODI trophy, and aidan is never heard of again

Arthur Crabtree becomes the first person to 35,000 posts
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 Big Bash League FL