Greatest ODI XI of all-time

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Greatest ODI XI of all-time

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:24 pm

If he's playing he won't be commentating.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby rich1uk » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:25 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:If he's playing he won't be commentating.

very true

on that basis he gets my vote
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby Gingerfinch » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:25 pm

How did Gower get in my team? Oh yes, elegance :-)

Lamb has a better average than I thought he would have. Never forget the 18 from a Bruce Reid over in 1987. Not many overs went for 18 in those days.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:29 pm

Freddie's got a slightly worse average than Morgan, at a slightly better SR, and he was a bowler.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby KipperJohn » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:51 pm

Derek Underwood - List A 411 matches 572 wickets Average 19.40 Econ 3.35 SR 34.6 Bb 8/31 4wkts 25 5 wkts 8

Ted Dexter - 'In the tour match between the MCC and an Australian XI Dexter hit 102 in 110 minutes, including 2 sixes and 13 fours. John Woodcock of The Times wrote "I doubt if it is possible to hit a cricket ball any harder than Dexter did today. Melbourne is a huge ground and no one who hits a six here is likely to forget it. Against Veivers, an off-spinner, Dexter twice cleared the sight screen, once by a good 20 yards. At the Adelaide Oval Dexter included "a six from a gigantic hit onto the roof of the stand – one of the biggest hits ever seen at the ground. He was the main draw in the England team and over a million spectators came to see the tourists, the most since 1936–37.'

Anyone who could brutally smack around the likes of Wes Hall and Charlie Griffiths is not to be dismissed lightly- he also enjoyed the big occasion, gambling and horse racing. Probably one of the best cricketer/golfer's ever seen.

Dexter would be in my English team just because of the way he played the game which was dismissive and probably ahead of his time - a reason I didn't like him that much! England could do with that right now.
KipperJohn

Postby braveneutral » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:57 am

Saj?
Asia Cup 2012 guru
SA vs Oz 2011 combined guru
SA vs Bangladesh Tests guru
NZ vs WI Tests guru
2014 French Open guru
T20 Blast 2014 guru
India vs WI ODIs 2014 guru
2016 French Open guru
2016 Wimbledon guru
2016 RL50 Cup guru
Premier League Final Placings Prediction League 2016/7 guru
England v SA ODIs 2017 guru
Guru.

D/L wrote:Words fail me for once.

17/04/17 - 'The day that history was made'

20/04/17 - Better than Bolt.
braveneutral

Team(s) Supported: Northants amongst others.

I suppose.

At times.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:50 pm

clubcricketeradi wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:The modern bats aren't heavy. They have a lot of wood in them but they aren't pressed. I think in the eighties, players used heavy bats. I'm not sure it works to say old time batters couldn't have used them. Clearly plenty could have, it just wasn't an option for them.

Modern bats are pressed and hence they have good stroke. The other reason for machine pressing is avoiding trouble of hand knocking.one more reason for pressing bat is to remove air within wood.Now pressed bats are also cheap.Many club cricketers also using it.

I've looked this up Adi, and it seems the bats being used are unpressed, which is what I remember the commentators calling them. Try a search.

I picked it up. What magic did it hold? Was it real? The handle was thick, the blade bone-white. It was a handsome thing, but then so were lots of bats. What set it apart was the contrast between the overall feeling of size and power and the weightlessness of its pick-up. It was almost as if the wood wasn't willow at all, but balsa or some other drier, less dense substance.

From an article on bats on cricinfo.

In the days of Botham or Clive Lloyd, for example, who had a three-and-a-half pound bat - that's a hefty lump of willow. Nowadays bats are big but they are light, as you found with Kohli's. And what we're up against is the belief that a big bat is more powerful than a bat of the same weight that's smaller, which it isn't. That's against the laws of physics

The older bats like the Jumbo and the Magnum that this new design was starting to dwarf were solid and heavy. The new bats had greater size but their density was different. The moisture content was lower, the pressing less firm, and wood shaved from the shoulders and the first few inches of the bat allowed more for the middle and on the edges.

Sorry about the long quotes.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/co ... 87773.html
Arthur Crabtree

Postby meninblue » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:03 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:
clubcricketeradi wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:The modern bats aren't heavy. They have a lot of wood in them but they aren't pressed. I think in the eighties, players used heavy bats. I'm not sure it works to say old time batters couldn't have used them. Clearly plenty could have, it just wasn't an option for them.

Modern bats are pressed and hence they have good stroke. The other reason for machine pressing is avoiding trouble of hand knocking.one more reason for pressing bat is to remove air within wood.Now pressed bats are also cheap.Many club cricketers also using it.

I've looked this up Adi, and it seems the bats being used are unpressed, which is what I remember the commentators calling them. Try a search.

I picked it up. What magic did it hold? Was it real? The handle was thick, the blade bone-white. It was a handsome thing, but then so were lots of bats. What set it apart was the contrast between the overall feeling of size and power and the weightlessness of its pick-up. It was almost as if the wood wasn't willow at all, but balsa or some other drier, less dense substance.

From an article on bats on cricinfo.

In the days of Botham or Clive Lloyd, for example, who had a three-and-a-half pound bat - that's a hefty lump of willow. Nowadays bats are big but they are light, as you found with Kohli's. And what we're up against is the belief that a big bat is more powerful than a bat of the same weight that's smaller, which it isn't. That's against the laws of physics

The older bats like the Jumbo and the Magnum that this new design was starting to dwarf were solid and heavy. The new bats had greater size but their density was different.[The moisture content was lower, the pressing less firm, and wood shaved from the shoulders and the first few inches of the bat allowed more for the middle and on the edges.

Sorry about the long quotes.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/co ... 87773.html

Thank you. I did not knew that international cricketers do not prefer pressed bats. Actually i thought they were being preferred by international cricketers. So it seems that this pressed bats category is perhaps targeted for club cricketers and other level cricketers market segment.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby sussexpob » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:30 pm

Interesting article that. I think it sums up my belief, that the scores we see nowadays are more inclined to psychology rather then physical difference. Another interesting point is the fact that people forget how much fitter and pumped your average batter is from other generations
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:47 pm

At the risk of busting everyone's banalmeter, here is an ABC ODI side, in a plausible batting order (I had to bend that to get an i in there). They've all played in the format.

Hashim Amla
Ian Botham
Martin Crowe
AB deVilliers
Deon Ebrahim
Andrew Flintoff
Adam Gilchrist
Richard Hadlee
Mohammad Irfan
Mitchell Johnson
Anil Kumble.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby sussexpob » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:01 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:At the risk of busting everyone's banalmeter, here is an ABC ODI side, in a plausible batting order (I had to bend that to get an i in there). They've all played in the format.

Hashim Amla
Ian Botham
Martin Crowe
AB deVilliers
Deon Ebrahim
Andrew Flintoff
Adam Gilchrist
Richard Hadlee
Mohammad Irfan
Mitchell Johnson
Anil Kumble.

Saleem Elahi over Ebrahim..... ??
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:10 pm

Yes. I don't remember him at all, but he has a better record.

Got to keep Ebrahim though if I make it into A-K from eleven different countries.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby sussexpob » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:11 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Yes. I don't remember him at all, but he has a better record.

Got to keep Ebrahim though if I make it into A-K from eleven different countries.

Nope.... Craig Ervine if you need a Zimbabwean

sussexpob

Postby Gingerfinch » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:12 pm

Just attempted a L-? team. gave up at U
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby rich1uk » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:15 pm

Gingerfinch wrote:Just attempted a L-? team. gave up at U

shaun udal ?
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump