Test Cricket for Ireland?

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Test Cricket for Ireland?

Postby sussexpob » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:15 am

In a way Ireland will become the victim of their own success. If Ireland were a test team, English counties would stop picking their players and doing all the development work as put simply, these players would no longer be considered home grown which would effect their financial reward, or they would lose those players to Ireland for the test summer. It makes them far less attractive to develop. And Ireland needs England to do that, it hasnt proved it can do it for itself.

I think one player which shows that is George Dockrell. By 2014 he had taken 70 odd wickets at Somerset for 32, a good return considering he was still 20 or 21... then in 2015 after this clamour for Irish test status, Somerset become wholly uninterested in him, dumped him to the second XI then on loan to us at the end of the season where he looked incredibly rusty, and now he has been released and hasnt got a team.

He has taken over a 100 wickets in FC cricket, is young and was considered to have a lot of talent, averages about 30..... cant get a team.

Would an English lad that young struggle to get a FC deal as a spinner? Absolutely not. In fact a guy who can spin averaging 30 and young like that would probably even be in the Lions team, or may have been capped by the full squad for a test considering the dirth of spinners. Yet he's Irish so he doesnt even have a county.

If that trend continues, Ireland will not even be qualifying for major tournaments anymore because the game is simply bigger in Asia, and the UAE/Afghan will start to push them out.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Aidan11 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:02 pm

Could be rubber stamped by next week.

Afghanistan also likely to gain full status.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby Making_Splinters » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:02 pm

I don't have much of a problem with Afghanistan becoming a Test side, they've have a long way to climb but there is a healthy degree of domestic cricket to help them get there. As for Ireland, it will be farcical if a Test nation's best players are all being brought up in another Test nations domestic structure.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby dan08 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:09 pm

Ireland's domestic league now has first-class status.
2011 Sri Lanka v Australia ODI FL guru
2011 India v West Indies ODI FL guru
2012 Bangladesh Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 West Indies v New Zealand Test FL guru
2012 Sri Lanka Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 India v England Test FL guru
2014 Australian Open Tennis FL guru
2014 Australia v England T20 FL guru
2017 ICC Champions Trophy FL guru
dan08

Team(s) Supported: England, Kent, Malaysia, Manchester United

Postby yuppie » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:19 pm

Any news yet on their potential test status? Still can not find anything saying that when it is going ahead, or if indeed it will go ahead?

Was getting first class status for the domestic came the last stumbling block, or does Ireland still have to meet the criteria set out for them a few years ago?
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby dan08 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:21 pm

yuppie wrote:Any news yet on their potential test status? Still can not find anything saying that when it is going ahead, or if indeed it will go ahead?

Was getting first class status for the domestic came the last stumbling block, or does Ireland still have to meet the criteria set out for them a few years ago?

Seems likely that Ireland will get Test status in 2019. So basically they'll be included for the new FTP (with Afghanistan i think).
dan08

Postby sussexpob » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:30 pm

Someone for Zimbabwe to beat
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby hopeforthebest » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:10 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:I don't have much of a problem with Afghanistan becoming a Test side, they've have a long way to climb but there is a healthy degree of domestic cricket to help them get there. As for Ireland, it will be farcical if a Test nation's best players are all being brought up in another Test nations domestic structure.

Where will they play their games also in the UAE?
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby Dr Cricket » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:19 pm

hopeforthebest wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:I don't have much of a problem with Afghanistan becoming a Test side, they've have a long way to climb but there is a healthy degree of domestic cricket to help them get there. As for Ireland, it will be farcical if a Test nation's best players are all being brought up in another Test nations domestic structure.

Where will they play their games also in the UAE?

India, BCCI given Afghanistan a ground in Delhi. Not the feroz shah kotla but Great noida, from what I understand is that Afghanistan home ground is now in India and they now play all their home games in Delhi and Ireland are touring India this winter to play Afghanistan in india.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/afghanistan ... 39125.html

If Afghanistan get test status guessing india will host the games, to stop clashes with pakistan games and the United arab emirates games plus I doubt Afghanistan can afford the rent in the UAE, one reason why they playing more games in india now.
If Pakistan are struggling to pay the rent for the UAE, then I suspect Afghanistan have no chance of paying it.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Dr Cricket » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:25 pm

Seems like Afghanistan cricket headquarters are in Delhi as well now and looks like all afghanistan games will take place at the ground.
http://indianexpress.com/article/sports ... -new-home/

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Alviro Patterson » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:44 pm

dan08 wrote:
yuppie wrote:Any news yet on their potential test status? Still can not find anything saying that when it is going ahead, or if indeed it will go ahead?

Seems likely that Ireland will get Test status in 2019. So basically they'll be included for the new FTP (with Afghanistan i think).

Last I read is that whoever wins the ICC Intercontinental Cup plays the 10th ranked test side in a 4 match series (two home, two away) in 2018. If the associate team wins, they become the 11th test nation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/32963537
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby dan08 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:16 am

Alviro Patterson wrote:
dan08 wrote:

Last I read is that whoever wins the ICC Intercontinental Cup plays the 10th ranked test side in a 4 match series (two home, two away) in 2018. If the associate team wins, they become the 11th test nation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/32963537

That article is over a year old. A lot has changed since then.
dan08

Previous