Test Cricket for Ireland?

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Test Cricket for Ireland?

Postby Making_Splinters » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:28 pm

m@tt wrote:
rich1uk wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:Ireland don't need more ODIs, that won't solve anything.

The fundamental problem with Irish cricket is that they do not have the infrastructure to support a Test side. The top Irish cricketers have little to do with Irish cricket aside from representation and untill either the ICC or Irish Cricket comes up with a solution to that, this debate is nothing more than a red herring.

Ireland seem to think they need more ODIs and surely its all about baby steps , haven't they done enough to merit more ODI series and higher profile games outside of a world cup ?

I think the next logical step is get them involved in tri-series with two other Test-playing nations.

And whilst I wish the likes of Morgan and Rankin all the best when they represent England (and don't begrudge them or England for them switching allegiance), the ICC shouldn't allow players to instantly switch country like they have done. That rule unnecessarily makes it even more difficult for non-Test countries to compete.

Perhaps when ireland aren't benefitting off the ECB and the County system I'd be inclined to worry about Irish players playing for England. The top Irish players are all trained and developed by the English county system, if anything it would be wrong for them to be playing for Ireland at all.

Perhaps Ireland should have the same residency conditions that the ECB do to play for them, rather than just living off the ECB and complaining when England select the players tbat were developed in England.

Just a thought.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby m@tt » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:53 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:
m@tt wrote:
rich1uk wrote:

The fundamental problem with Irish cricket is that they do not have the infrastructure to support a Test side. The top Irish cricketers have little to do with Irish cricket aside from representation and untill either the ICC or Irish Cricket comes up with a solution to that, this debate is nothing more than a red herring.

Ireland seem to think they need more ODIs and surely its all about baby steps , haven't they done enough to merit more ODI series and higher profile games outside of a world cup ?

I think the next logical step is get them involved in tri-series with two other Test-playing nations.

And whilst I wish the likes of Morgan and Rankin all the best when they represent England (and don't begrudge them or England for them switching allegiance), the ICC shouldn't allow players to instantly switch country like they have done. That rule unnecessarily makes it even more difficult for non-Test countries to compete.

Perhaps when ireland aren't benefitting off the ECB and the County system I'd be inclined to worry about Irish players playing for England. The top Irish players are all trained and developed by the English county system, if anything it would be wrong for them to be playing for Ireland at all.

Perhaps Ireland should have the same residency conditions that the ECB do to play for them, rather than just living off the ECB and complaining when England select the players that were developed in England.

Just a thought.

And a valid thought. I'm not saying Irish players shouldn't play for England. It's that they can play for Ireland on a Monday and then on Tuesday switch to play for England that I think is an unnecessary rule.
Andy Flower wrote:This is going to test my coaching expertise. This is the worst case I've ever seen.
m@tt

Team(s) Supported: .
England and Warwickshire.

Also tend to follow any former/current/prospective England players.

606 Username: matt_h88

Postby sussexpob » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:12 pm

Im not so convinced that the selection rules dont actually help associate sides in Ireland's situation, not hinder them.

The reality is, until Irish test cricket is flourishingin both performance and financial capability, regardless of Ireland's status you will find players defect to England if they can. Its not lack of test cricket that turns Joyce and Morgan England's way, its money, esteem and playing in big level series infront of big crowds and TV audiences, not 4 match series against Zimbabwe to empty stands.

A key example here is Graeme Hick.... he was capped by England in 1991, by which time the ICC had all but ratified a move to make Zimbabwe a test side, with a guy like Hick's reputation being part of the argument. He waited for test cricket for a long time due to residency issues, so waiting another 6 months or a year made no difference, it was the simple fact he wanted to play for England. Murray Goodwin waited a few years before he went to Zimbabwe, as a resident of Australia he clearly didnt want to play for Zimbabwe (in fact, he turned his back on Zimbabwe very quickly) and it was only when he averaged over 61 in a Shield year and it was clear to him he wouldnt be selected in an emerging very great team, he did agree to play tests for Zimbabwe.

Would any players chose to go to Ireland to play, knowing that was their international future? Would guys like Trent Johnston going there to put themselves on the Australia map, or Botha for South Africa, or where they playing for Ireland?
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby meninblue » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:13 pm

I don't understand whats wrong if cricketers change country for work. People do schooling in one country but opt to work professionally in other country. Are the schools supposed to tell them to not work there because you were educated in this country. Similarly can a cricket board tell a cricketer he cannot be playing for England because he did cricket education in Ireland ? or vice versa for other countries.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby Making_Splinters » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:41 pm

m@tt wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:
m@tt wrote:
rich1uk wrote:

Perhaps Ireland should have the same residency conditions that the ECB do to play for them, rather than just living off the ECB and complaining when England select the players that were developed in England.

Just a thought.

And a valid thought. I'm not saying Irish players shouldn't play for England. It's that they can play for Ireland on a Monday and then on Tuesday switch to play for England that I think is an unnecessary rule.

As Sussex notes, to have the situation any other way would stop any talented players playing for Ireland. To me this comes down to the Irish wanting to have their cake and eat it too. If they were serious about standing on their own and wanted to make a point about English cricket they'd bring in residency rules to stop their players going to play in England. The fact of the matter is that Irish cricket is happy to have their players come and learn their trade to a far higher level than they would in Ireland then reap the rewards. They don't have the right to complain about Irish players, who have been trained in England, turning their back on Ireland.

Giving Ireland test status wouldn't change this, I don't think many would argue that Ervine was wrong not to put his career and income on the line to play for Zimbabwe. Giving Ireland test status and putting blocks in place to stop Irish players coming to play in England won't work. Patriotism is easily bought.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby rich1uk » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:46 pm

its an often ignored point that it comes down to the players own choices first and foremost about making themselves available for England instead of Ireland , too easy for the ECB critics to blame England for poaching players

I saw an interview a couple of years ago with the then head of irish cricket where he said morgan had made it clear as a 15/16 year old that he wanted to play at the highest level and that meant England , this was way before anyone would ever have even really known who he was outside of the irish setup

if morgan had been told back then that if he played for Ireland he would have been blocked from ever playing for England or had to wait for a 4 year qualifying period its a fair bet he might never have played for Ireland
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby ChrisQ » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:05 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:
ChrisQ wrote:
yuppie wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:
shankycricket wrote:I'm not in favour of Ireland getting Test status but my problem is with the inconsistency. If Bangladesh have Test status (I don't think they should, either) then why not Ireland? Though I take the point that two wrongs don't make a right. Personally don't think either should have Test status but if they do, it has to be in a two tier structure. Not sure how that would work tbh.

As an aside, what if the West Indies crumble completely and split into their respective island nations? Would any of the islands warrant Test status?

Bangladesh, unlike Ireland, actually have a domestic structure in place as well as a very strong grass roots level engagement in the sport. Quite why Bangladesh have not improved in 15 years is a different issue, but they do meet the basic criteria which Ireland do not.

No double standards there.

Im pretty sure that Bangladesh did not have a suitable domestic league when they started test cricket. It was granted first class statues in the 2000-01 season, a year after the league its self started. The fact that they now have a domestic league does not take away from the fact that when given test status they pretty much had nothing.

Im sure that if Ireland got test status tomorrow they would start up a bigger domestic league straight away.

Not that this justifies Irelands inclusion as a test team.

Note that after the 1940s the only entities which could adjudge any competition or match as first class were the full member boards themselves or the ICC. Since Bangladesh gained independence in 1971 the domestic 2-day league they had in place (since at least the mid 1990s if not before) before it was converted into a 3-day league in 1999 AHEAD of their full membership they foul not legally have had a "suitable domestic league" as you call it (one that was actually first-class as you seem to imply) unless the ICC adjudged it to be so. As far as cricket is concerned the Bangladeshis did have a suitable domestic league since all prior full members were admitted in the basis of at least having a 2-day domestic competition (South Africa were the only full members admitted with only a 2-day league to start back in the late 1800s); all other full members including Bangladesh were admitted with at least a 3-day league to the best of my knowledge and from what I read)

I'd personally note the use of the present tense when talking about Bangladesh above, not the past tense.

Oh yes. Apologies. You were also correct in regards to there being no double standards with regards to Bangladesh
ChrisQ

Postby ChrisQ » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:21 pm

sussexpob wrote:Im not so convinced that the selection rules dont actually help associate sides in Ireland's situation, not hinder them.

The reality is, until Irish test cricket is flourishingin both performance and financial capability, regardless of Ireland's status you will find players defect to England if they can. Its not lack of test cricket that turns Joyce and Morgan England's way, its money, esteem and playing in big level series infront of big crowds and TV audiences, not 4 match series against Zimbabwe to empty stands.

A key example here is Graeme Hick.... he was capped by England in 1991, by which time the ICC had all but ratified a move to make Zimbabwe a test side, with a guy like Hick's reputation being part of the argument. He waited for test cricket for a long time due to residency issues, so waiting another 6 months or a year made no difference, it was the simple fact he wanted to play for England. Murray Goodwin waited a few years before he went to Zimbabwe, as a resident of Australia he clearly didnt want to play for Zimbabwe (in fact, he turned his back on Zimbabwe very quickly) and it was only when he averaged over 61 in a Shield year and it was clear to him he wouldnt be selected in an emerging very great team, he did agree to play tests for Zimbabwe.

Would any players chose to go to Ireland to play, knowing that was their international future? Would guys like Trent Johnston going there to put themselves on the Australia map, or Botha for South Africa, or where they playing for Ireland?

I'm not sure that even a flourishing irish test scene would stop Irish players from switching to England. After all everyone seems to forget that unlik most other neighboring cricketing countries it is REALLY easy for any Irishman to become British and qualify for the English team. The reason? The common travel area. This semi-official arrangement means that Irish citizens once they land in the UK are essentially permanent residents (given indefinite leave to remain) and thus well on their way to qualifying for British citizenship in a matter of years if they want. This is separate and apart from the EU rules on freedom of movement (which has a similar but slightly weaker effect on the Netherlands and Denmark with regards to England).

In all other situations NO neighboring cricket countries come with similar such immigration traditions. In Australasia, Aussies and Kiwis can freely move and reside in each other's countries BUT under the current rules of the semi-formal trans-tasman travel arrangement Kiwis do not become automatic permanent residents in Oz upon landing but can become indefinite residents. To become Aussie citizens and qualify for the Aussie team they would have to become permanent residents which due to the intricacies of the laws in place is actually a now a bit more of a tortuous process for Kiwis who landed as indefinite residents from what i understand.

In the Subcontinent for a Bangladeshi to become an Indian citizen or a Pakistani citizen they would first need a work permit and then apply for permanent residency and then citizenship....all of which would take quite a few years (the years when they would be in their prime for cricket).

There is some free movement in the Caribbean as well but since all the countries involved in free movement play under the West Indies banner save for Suriname and Belize this doesn't matter and in fact would help the West Indies as far as player movement is concerned.
ChrisQ

Postby ChrisQ » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:22 pm

braveneutral wrote:Hope all is well CQ!

Thank you bn. Hope all is well with you too!
ChrisQ

Postby braveneutral » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:49 am

ChrisQ wrote:

Yes very good thanks! Glad to see you here after a while! A complete novice was watching last night's match and from the sound of it Russell has them hooked!
Asia Cup 2012 guru
SA vs Oz 2011 combined guru
SA vs Bangladesh Tests guru
NZ vs WI Tests guru
2014 French Open guru
T20 Blast 2014 guru
India vs WI ODIs 2014 guru
2016 French Open guru
2016 Wimbledon guru
2016 RL50 Cup guru
Premier League Final Placings Prediction League 2016/7 guru
England v SA ODIs 2017 guru
Guru.

D/L wrote:Words fail me for once.

17/04/17 - 'The day that history was made'

20/04/17 - Better than Bolt.
braveneutral

Team(s) Supported: Northants amongst others.

I suppose.

At times.

Postby ChrisQ » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:19 pm

braveneutral wrote:
ChrisQ wrote:

Yes very good thanks! Glad to see you here after a while! A complete novice was watching last night's match and from the sound of it Russell has them hooked!

Good to hear all is well with you also
ChrisQ

Postby ChrisQ » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:27 pm

And to further demonstrate how much more progressive Afghanistan is than Ireland, starting in 2014, Afghanistan became the ONLY country outside the 10 full members to stage a domestic FOUR-day cricket competition after they converted their Ahmad Shah Abdali 3-day tournament into a 4-day one for 2014....

Afghanistan have now had FOUR seasons of 3-day or 4-day cricket since they started the competition in 2011 only two years after shooting to prominence through the world cricket league In 2009. Ireland by contrast just completed only their SECOND season of 3-day cricket having started the Inter-Provincial Championship (which features 3 teams by the way in comparison to Afghanistan's five 3/4-day teams) in 2013....all of SIX years after shooting to prominence in 2007.

It's downright disgraceful that so much time was wasted by the Irish board when they are indeed blessed with many things the Afghan board can only dream of; no civil war anymore (and in the Irish case it was confined to Northern Ireland), a fairly non-mountainous country with good transportation networks, good rainfall to help produce nice cricket fields, a relatively wealthy population and a better economy....
ChrisQ

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:25 pm

Ireland are making an international venue, whereas I think Afghanistan couldn't host a game within my lifetime.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby ChrisQ » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:52 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Ireland are making an international venue, whereas I think Afghanistan couldn't host a game within my lifetime.

Before voicing one's opinion it is always good to do some background research.

Ireland are making an international venue you say?

Afghanistan - been there, done that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghazi_Aman ... et_Stadium

The Ghazi Amanullah Khan International Cricket Stadium is the first international standard cricket stadium in Afghanistan.

It is located in the Ghazi Amanullah Khan Township, about 15 kilometres outside the city of Jalalabad in Nangarhar Province.[1]

Construction on the stadium began in March 2010 when the foundation stone was laid by Minister of Finance and president of the Afghanistan Cricket Board, Omar Zakhilwal.[2]

The project was developed on 30 acres of land donated by the developer constructing the Ghazi Amanullah Khan Township,[3] cost up the first phase of construction $1.8 million. The first phase, which took one year to complete, included the completion of the stadium itself.[2] The remainder of the phases will see the construction of a pavilion, accommodation for players and administrative buildings.[2]

The stadium, which has a capacity of 14,000, was completed before the national team and under-19 team left for Canada and the Under-19 Cricket World Cup Qualifier in Ireland respectively. The two sides inaugurated the stadium in a Twenty20 match.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afghanista ... d#Stadiums

Work on the Sherzai Cricket Stadium in Jalalabad, a city known in Afghanistan for being the 'capital of cricket', is in progress. Construction has also begun on the Kabul National Cricket Stadium and the Kandahar International Cricket Stadium in the south of the country. [2] The President of the Afghanistan Cricket Board, Omar Zakhilwal, announced in October 2010 that the government was planning to construct standard cricket grounds in all 34 provinces in the next two years.[13]

The following are the major cricket stadiums in Afghanistan:

Ghazi Amanullah Khan International Cricket Stadium in Ghazni Amanullah Khan City, Nangarhar Province
Kandahar International Cricket Stadium in Kandahar (under construction)
Kabul National Cricket Stadium in Kabul
Sherzai Cricket Stadium in Jalalabad(under construction)
Mazar-i-Sharif Cricket Stadium in Mazar-i-Sharif
Khost City Stadium in Khost City

Image - the Sherzai stadium in Jalalabad under construction

http://www.icc-cricket.com/news/2013/fe ... in-reality

Afghanistan grounded in reality

It is with great pride that the Afghanistan Cricket Board have announced the construction of a new stadium in Nangarhar, the second to be in the province
Afghanistan grounded in reality - Cricket News
It is with great pride that the Afghanistan Cricket Board have announced the construction of a new stadium in Nangarhar, the second to be in the province. On completion next year, Afghanistan will have three fully-turfed international size grounds. "It's a great boost to their cricket, we are all delighted with this good news," says ACC Development Officer Iqbal Sikander.

Nangarhar, one of the eastern provinces of Afghanistan, (bordering what was formerly known as the North-West Frontier Province of Pakistan) has as its capital Jalalabad, popularly held to be ?the home of Afghanistan cricket'. In addition to the ground in Kabul, Afghanistan not only strengthens its imminent ascension to ICC Associate, it creates more opportunities for domestic first-class cricket. Desire is also strong for Afghanistan to host foreign teams in the country. "We have good facilities, good grounds, good transport and good hotels attached," says national coach Kabir Khan, "other countries would be happy to have what we have."

The new ground in Nangarhar will be Afghans 44,743,054 (when figures are that exact, you know that plans are finalised), approximately US$847,00, and the Afghanistan Cricket Board will pay 60% of the amount through their Development Fund with the remainder paid for by the private-sector Najeeb Zarab Company.

Iqbal Sikander has been a witness to the growth of Afghanistan cricket ever since he first went there in 2003. "In the past ten years the development and spread of cricket in Afghanistan is remarkable. Not just on the playing field but in the nation as a whole where cricket is being understood and played in larger numbers month after month. Success is breeding success," he says.

http://www.afgpictures.com/view-afghani ... other.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPRrL2OnWWA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08D2bRXQgdQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rauf2LAbRM
ChrisQ

Postby ChrisQ » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:55 pm

As I said, the Irish cricket board's delays are utterly disgraceful. Anybody who knows anything about what has been happening in Ireland and Afghanistan and can compare the two will readily come to the same conclusion. Ireland SHOULD have started the Inter-Provincial tournament in 2009 at the very latest and perhaps by NOW they would be seriously considered for full membership and could have received some kind of funding for upgrading venues in Belfast and Dublin to the fit with the desire of having grounds for international cricket as per the standards in the 10 full members.
ChrisQ

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket