The World Cup: Good and Bad.

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: The World Cup: Good and Bad.

Postby GarlicJam » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:35 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Good point Al about the grounds. Not much the Aussies can do though as all their grounds are huge. Kiwi grounds were perfect though for the small games.
maybe the grounds as far as the crowd were concerned, but the grounds for the players were also quite small. Eden Park being a bit of a joke for a cricket ground.

it cetainly adds to the interest, having different sized grounds, but it didn't promote an even battle between bat and ball. (yes, I know, that is not on the ICC's radar)
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby GarlicJam » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:39 pm

Alviro Patterson wrote:I'd like to see the LEDs extended to boundary ropes, to aid decisions where if fielders have touched the boundary with ball in hand.

A logistically huge ask. The costs of having LED fitted, and powered ropes - that respond to touch - would be incredible. Remember these zing bails need a disconnection of a circuit to activate, what's the circuit here going to be, between ground and rope?
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:50 pm

GarlicJam wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:Good point Al about the grounds. Not much the Aussies can do though as all their grounds are huge. Kiwi grounds were perfect though for the small games.
maybe the grounds as far as the crowd were concerned, but the grounds for the players were also quite small. Eden Park being a bit of a joke for a cricket ground.

it cetainly adds to the interest, having different sized grounds, but it didn't promote an even battle between bat and ball. (yes, I know, that is not on the ICC's radar)

That's right. Though if there's something in the conditions, then that at least balances the contest. Isn't it that it's only the rugby grounds that have compromised outfields. The small cricket grounds are played on proper ovals? It was the smallness of the crowd facilities that made the smaller venues work. It's true, though a bit cruel to point it out, that NZ have a lot of experience in working out what works, and what works on tv, for games played in front of small crowds.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:56 pm

GarlicJam wrote:
Alviro Patterson wrote:I'd like to see the LEDs extended to boundary ropes, to aid decisions where if fielders have touched the boundary with ball in hand.

A logistically huge ask. The costs of having LED fitted, and powered ropes - that respond to touch - would be incredible. Remember these zing bails need a disconnection of a circuit to activate, what's the circuit here going to be, between ground and rope?

And possibly using a SWAT team to crack a nut. There has to be a point where we accept that the umpires have made their best decision, and it's only a game? The tv replays already give the incidents a reasonable amount of scrutiny. Unusually, the flashing stumps actually add a bit to the in ground experience rather thanjust the tv audience. Though I could cope without them.

Hearing the tv umpire talking through his decision was a new thing. But I don't feel it was a factor in there being little drs controversy.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby GarlicJam » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:03 pm

I don't know about the more regional grounds - say Napier and Nelson - but I think Wellington, ChCh and Hamilton are dedicated cricket grounds, even if they host Rugby as well. I think Auckland is pretty unique that they squeeze a cricket match onto a a Rugby pitch.

s s s sorry about the s-stutter.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:07 pm

The Westpac/Cake Tin is a cricket ground?
Arthur Crabtree

Postby GarlicJam » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:12 pm

It may well have been built as a multi-purpose, but it was at least built to house cricket matches. It does host the Hurricanes in the Rugby.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Postby rich1uk » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:40 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote: Hearing the tv umpire talking through his decision was a new thing. But I don't feel it was a factor in there being little drs controversy.

I liked being able to listen in to the discussions during referrals
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:49 am

GarlicJam wrote:It may well have been built as a multi-purpose, but it was at least built to house cricket matches. It does host the Hurricanes in the Rugby.

Fair enough. But still, I think the smallness of the grounds was a reference to how hospitable they were to the smaller games. No argument against the outfields being on the small side.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:54 am

rich1uk wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote: Hearing the tv umpire talking through his decision was a new thing. But I don't feel it was a factor in there being little drs controversy.

It could potentially help sell drs, as sometimes complaints about it depend on misunderstandings (even a captain, Dhoni, seems to not really know how it works). The risk is that it exposes the umpires' incompetence. it may be that the officials have ironed out the job of the tv umpire though.

Was hot spot missed? I thought it was at times.
Last edited by Arthur Crabtree on Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby GarlicJam » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:55 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:
GarlicJam wrote:It may well have been built as a multi-purpose, but it was at least built to house cricket matches. It does host the Hurricanes in the Rugby.

Fair enough. But still, I think the smallness of the grounds was a reference to how hospitable they were to the smaller games. No argument against the outfields being on the small side.

True, the CWC worked well in NZ.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Postby GarlicJam » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:57 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:
rich1uk wrote:

It could potentially help sell drs, as sometimes complaints about it depend on misunderstandings (even a captain, Dhoni, seems to not really know how it works). The risk is that it exposes the umpires' incompetence. it may be that the officials have ironed out the job of the tv umpire though.

Was hot spot missed? I thought it was at times.
I agree,
Dhoni has had far less practice than most in the use of the DRS,
It was, imo also.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Previous

Return to International Cricket