Richie Benaud

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Richie Benaud

Postby Albondiga » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:35 pm

KipperJohn wrote:I must confess to shedding a tear when I heard of his passing. A great cricketer and commentator, but most of all a true gent and lover of our wonderful game. His warmth and wisdom shone like a beacon.

I have one of his books at home - 'My Spin on Cricket'. It's the first thing I shall read when we get back to the UK.

Thank you Richie.

I know I 'm getting old when so many of my favourites have either passed on or are close.
Ritchie played the game as it ought to be played -- hard, fair and with a smile on his face. For me he had a number of excellent qualities many of
them more subtle than is generally given to Australian sportsmen. He was a fine leg spinner whose flight and guile were equal to his spin. He batted
well and very much like a number eight or nine SHOULD bat. He was an innovative captain who in attempting to win a game would never be too
frightened to lose it. His understanding of the game was second to none and he was famous for knowing when to say nothing -- a rare quality indeed.

Three things stand out for me.

I -- Going round the wicket to snare a rampant Ted Dexter at Manchester when most people would have taken him off.

2 -- Catching Colin Cowdrey in the Gully off a sweetly timed full blooded cut that took him off his feet.

3 -- bowling Gary Sobers a ball that lifted and turned into him and applauding when Sobers went on tiptoe, flicked his wrist and crashed him through
extra cover and this in a Test Match.

R I P Ritchie
Albondiga

Previous

Return to International Cricket