Richie Benaud

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Richie Benaud

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:04 am

Richie was born in Penrith, NSW in 1930, and died in Sydney, NSW 2015. Slightly ironic for someone who lived the nomadic life of a cricketer and then a journalist and commentator. He scored 2200 Test runs at 24.5, three centuries. He picked up 248 wickets at 27, with 16 five-fers, going at two runs an over. These are the facts he leaves behind, and what he will be known for once there is no longer living memory.

The stats mark him off as a player from another era. He only played first class cricket. He played a hell of a lot of state cricket for an Aussie, and he only played for NSW and Australia. He at least has a colour photo on his cricinfo page, putting him on our side of the divide, but that would have been a choice that was made.

Great figures for a leg spinner and a lower order bat. And rated one of Australia's best captains. He was a commentator from another era too. I wouldn't be surprised if his guide to the job (known evocatively as 'the caller' in Australia) wasn't his well remembered compatriot Alan McGilvray, who is the personification of that school: enthusiastic, informative, professional, fair and impartial. Whatever they may have been like in life, they were commentators foremost at work, and we also think of Tony Cozier, CMJ, Jim Laker, John Arlott in that regard.

There is no modern representative of that lineage, and there doesn't necessarily need to be. Modern listeners want different things. Benaud and Cozier carried on into this era, and we appreciated their old school style. When Shane Warne appropriated Richie's 'good morning everyone' it mainly served to remind us of the difference, and Richie's laconic reserve, his lack of agenda, his suppression of his self. But while Richie was still charming, things had changed. People wanted more information, more analysis. And whether they wanted it or not, they got more of the personality of the caller. While he was there, Benaud reminded us of what is being lost, as older people do.

Of the new commentators, looking at Rich1uk's list of Benaud's personal guide, maybe Atherton has something in common, while still being quite different.

A sad day to lose Richie Benaud, but also a day for remembering a single person who left a positive memory in the lives of so many. A person that is remembered with affection and respect, and possibly, someone who played a small part in Australia's changing sense of itself, and of its influence in the world.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby braveneutral » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:05 am

RIP Richie. The voice that hooked the world on cricket.
Asia Cup 2012 guru
SA vs Oz 2011 combined guru
SA vs Bangladesh Tests guru
NZ vs WI Tests guru
2014 French Open guru
T20 Blast 2014 guru
India vs WI ODIs 2014 guru
2016 French Open guru
2016 Wimbledon guru
2016 RL50 Cup guru
Premier League Final Placings Prediction League 2016/7 guru
England v SA ODIs 2017 guru
Guru.

D/L wrote:Words fail me for once.

17/04/17 - 'The day that history was made'

20/04/17 - Better than Bolt.
braveneutral

Team(s) Supported: Northants amongst others.

I suppose.

At times.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:11 am

westoelad wrote:
sussexpob wrote:In a world where there is so much bitterness from ex-players towards their current counterparts.... Rest up good Richie.... :no

A most fitting eulogy S.P.

Yes, fine post Sussex.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Aidan11 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:16 am

"Jim Laker 10-53....and I was one of them".
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby sussexpob » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:22 am

There is no modern representative of that lineage, and there doesn't necessarily need to be. Modern listeners want different things. Benaud and Cozier carried on into this era, and we appreciated their old school style. When Shane Warne appropriated Richie's 'good morning everyone' it mainly served to remind us of the difference, and Richie's laconic reserve, his lack of agenda, his suppression of his self. But while Richie was still charming, things had changed. People wanted more information, more analysis. And whether they wanted it or not, they got more of the personality of the caller. While he was there, Benaud reminded us of what is being lost, as older people do

Not sure as a younger guy I ever got that. If anything, my initial suspicions about him when first watching cricket was he was old, so he couldn't be in synch with me..... so I learnt through his wisdom and style that he was a man to be cherish.

Maybe the difference with age? Benaud did show me what we were missing, and that is something modern commentators had never given us....

Cozier is a fine example and comparison though. I miss the Caribbean tests when they were still a good team, listening to Tony.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby GarlicJam » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:31 am

Along the lines of how your appreciation of him changed as you aged, Sussex, when I was a teenager, he was Fishface, then he became Benaud for a while and morphed into Richie. Which he remained.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby sussexpob » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:47 am

I did read an amusing quote from Keith Miller in a article about him this morning. Apparently Benaud expressed disappointment to Miller that he made his debut in FC cricket the year the Don retired, and never got to bowl to him.... to which Miller replied to Benaud, "everyone gets one lucky break, and that's yours"

:clap
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:48 am

sussexpob wrote:
There is no modern representative of that lineage, and there doesn't necessarily need to be. Modern listeners want different things. Benaud and Cozier carried on into this era, and we appreciated their old school style. When Shane Warne appropriated Richie's 'good morning everyone' it mainly served to remind us of the difference, and Richie's laconic reserve, his lack of agenda, his suppression of his self. But while Richie was still charming, things had changed. People wanted more information, more analysis. And whether they wanted it or not, they got more of the personality of the caller. While he was there, Benaud reminded us of what is being lost, as older people do

Not sure as a younger guy I ever got that. If anything, my initial suspicions about him when first watching cricket was he was old, so he couldn't be in synch with me..... so I learnt through his wisdom and style that he was a man to be cherish.

Maybe the difference with age? Benaud did show me what we were missing, and that is something modern commentators had never given us....

Cozier is a fine example and comparison though. I miss the Caribbean tests when they were still a good team, listening to Tony.

I forgot, most importantly, people want more opinion.

That's an interestingly different perspective to mine, myself coming from an era Benaud's style was more the norm. There is still some quiet in Sky's commentary, but Aussie and NZ coverage has almost none. It's like the cricket is just something that's on while we listen to some men talk. As if, they don't have confidence in what we are sitting down to watch, and they have to keep engaging us so we won't turn away. But even so, there has been an explosion of opinion. Observing an lbw from five angles and a computer simulation, wasn't what Richie was about, but it seems to be how we respond to the game now, and then, maybe we tweet our view. Richie felt incongruous in he C9 box in later years. The other commentators hardly talked to him. He did his laconic thing alone, as if no one else was with him.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby sussexpob » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:56 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:
sussexpob wrote:

I forgot, most importantly, people want more opinion.

That's an interestingly different perspective to mine, myself coming from an era Benaud's style was more the norm. There is still some quiet in Sky's commentary, but Aussie and NZ coverage has almost none. It's like the cricket is just something that's on while we listen to some men talk. As if, they don't have confidence in what we are sitting down to watch, and they have to keep engaging us so we won't turn away. But even so, there has been an explosion of opinion. Observing an lbw from five angles and a computer simulation, wasn't what Richie was about, but it seems to be how we respond to the game now, and then, maybe we tweet our view. Richie felt incongruous in he C9 box in later years. The other commentators hardly talked to him. He did his laconic thing alone, as if no one else was with him.

Do we want more opinion, or are we just given it? Opinions are pretty empty, you could have any regular joe to spout opinions to people while they listen, I like some chemistry or some knowledge on the game. That's the problem with modern commentary, opinions are subjective and I am not sure I tend to agree with many of the experts, after all playing the game 20 years before hardly sets you up to have a good opinion on the game or players. I think I trust my own judgement more as I tend to find new commentators have a high opinion of themselves, or don't actually pay attention to the game.

Tell me what is happening, entertain me, inform me, don't annoy me....

sussexpob

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:03 pm

There's also the possibility that we engage less because we are told everything.

It's possible that the change comes from the visual technology, which has to be explained. You can't just say 'bowled him' when there are graphics to analyse, measuring relative bounce, relative pace, swing/seam, a montage of batter errors and hawk/eagle-eye.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:07 pm

It's less certain that there's any appetite for Botham, etcs reflections on last night's wine drinking. This came from the radio, where blokish tale telling proved popular even with a non-cricket audience. Personally, I'd like none of it on tv, and that certainly wasn't Richie's style. But people love the radio commentary, and its personalities, so, what is tv to think?
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:13 pm

The key thing was to learn the value of economy with words and to never insult the viewer by telling them what they can already see

An apt Benaudism.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby westoelad » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:43 pm

Benaud's family have been offered a state funeral. Has an English sportsman ever been offered a similar honour?
westoelad

Postby Aidan11 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:21 pm

westoelad wrote:Benaud's family have been offered a state funeral. Has an English sportsman ever been offered a similar honour?

I don't think anyone outside of politics or royalty have had one in the UK.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby GarlicJam » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:08 pm

Aidan11 wrote:
westoelad wrote:Benaud's family have been offered a state funeral. Has an English sportsman ever been offered a similar honour?

I don't think anyone outside of politics or royalty have had one in the UK.

Generally state funerals in Aus are for the ruling classes - long serving and/or high ranking politicians/military/judiciary - but ocasionally people who have been deemed to have made a significant contribution to the nation will be offered a state funeral. I am sure Bradman would have been given one - or at least his family offered one - and a few other sportspeople of note spring to mind (but possibly charity or community work helped to get them to this position) in Peter Brock and the Irishman Jim Stynes.

A great Aussie hero(imo), a "nobody" who was the archetypical Aussie Battler, thoroughly deserved the SF he was given. Bernie Banton spent the last 10 years or so of his (until then, quite unremarkable) life, dying, and in extreme pain and illness sufferering mesothelioma, but still kept pushing and driving and striving and agitating for justice for his fellow workers/sufferers and the arsehole of a company that did everything to avoid paying compensation. James Hardie may have become several different companies when they fled to the Netherlands and then Ireland - where company laws may be more lax. I think it behoves us to know the current incarnation of Hardie Industries and do our best to avoid doing business with them. Bernie Banton may not have been a nice bloke, but he was a f___ing hero to many Australians - far more so than any politician or member of the royal family I can think of.

*Sorry Richie, for hijacking your thread, but I am sure that you would agree (except fo the bad language).
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket