Andrew Strauss - England's Director of Cricket

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Andrew Strauss - England's Director of Cricket

Postby Aidan11 » Thu May 14, 2015 11:53 am

The ECB just see us all as Internet-crazed loonies who shut just shut up and buy tickets.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby alfie » Thu May 14, 2015 3:32 pm

westoelad wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:
Albondiga wrote:I 've read again many of the posts on the subjects of ECB Director of cricket - chief coach - captains of Tests ODI & 20/20. I've read that Downton was useless - that Fowler was useless -

Results make the tack justified. If England are losing badly, people will wonder why. Off field management has been a catastrophe.

For what it's worth, I'm sympathetic to Morgan who accepted a role he could succeed at.

But everyone else has a lot to answer for. On his first week of the job, Strauss leaked his intended sacking of Moores, to a sports news channel, while Moores was in the middle of an ODI. He showed scant knowledge of man management by telling KP he was not to be trusted, and then offering him a job coaching the team(!), and inheriting a scenario whereby KP was offered a way back into the England team, and then shutting that off again for no new reason. Concerns that Strauss may be too close the the players he is responsible for appear to be realistic.

Everyone who knows Strauss says he's an intelligent, knowledgeable and principlined individual whose cricketing c.v. is exemplary. He has taken on a very challenging position for the sake of English cricket sacrificing a cushy lucrative position with Sky. There have been leaks coming from the ECB long before Strauss became involved so whether he was responsible for the Moores leak has to be questionable. Cook may have limitations as an England captain-I'm not arrogant enough to express an opinion-but his record as a Test batsman is almost indentical to Pietersen,8000+ runs, average 45+. If he doesn't want Pietersen in his team because he sees him disruptive so be it,is that not a captain's prerogative? Why,oh Why, can we not back 2 clearly genuine guys who are trying to do their best for Engish cricket?

I guess because too many people (not just on here) have apparently taken such a dislike to Cook and anyone thought to be associated with him that they interpret everything that happens as part of an Evil Plan of his to destroy St Kevin at any cost to his team...rather overlooking the fact that Cook was instrumental in getting Pietersen his second chance back in 2012. If Cook no longer wants him in the team (not that we have anything but the word of a Mirror columnist that Cook actually issued the ultimatum being discussed...was he in the meeting ?) , surely there must be a reason ? Just possibly KP did behave in a manner that warranted wanting a prolific run maker out of the team ; or is it more logical to suppose that Cook just decided to weaken his team out of spite over...nothing ?

I have just about given up on this matter : everyone is entrenched behind their fortifications , and none of us are likely to change our views - anyway Pietersen is now injured so perhaps we will be able to take a few days off to watch a Test Match next week...
alfie

Postby westoelad » Thu May 14, 2015 3:50 pm

alfie wrote:
westoelad wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:
Albondiga wrote:I 've read again many of the posts on the subjects of ECB Director of cricket - chief coach - captains of Tests ODI & 20/20. I've read that Downton was useless - that Fowler was useless -

Results make the tack justified. If England are losing badly, people will wonder why. Off field management has been a catastrophe.

For what it's worth, I'm sympathetic to Morgan who accepted a role he could succeed at.

But everyone else has a lot to answer for. On his first week of the job, Strauss leaked his intended sacking of Moores, to a sports news channel, while Moores was in the middle of an ODI. He showed scant knowledge of man management by telling KP he was not to be trusted, and then offering him a job coaching the team(!), and inheriting a scenario whereby KP was offered a way back into the England team, and then shutting that off again for no new reason. Concerns that Strauss may be too close the the players he is responsible for appear to be realistic.

Everyone who knows Strauss says he's an intelligent, knowledgeable and principlined individual whose cricketing c.v. is exemplary. He has taken on a very challenging position for the sake of English cricket sacrificing a cushy lucrative position with Sky. There have been leaks coming from the ECB long before Strauss became involved so whether he was responsible for the Moores leak has to be questionable. Cook may have limitations as an England captain-I'm not arrogant enough to express an opinion-but his record as a Test batsman is almost indentical to Pietersen,8000+ runs, average 45+. If he doesn't want Pietersen in his team because he sees him disruptive so be it,is that not a captain's prerogative? Why,oh Why, can we not back 2 clearly genuine guys who are trying to do their best for Engish cricket?

I guess because too many people (not just on here) have apparently taken such a dislike to Cook and anyone thought to be associated with him that they interpret everything that happens as part of an Evil Plan of his to destroy St Kevin at any cost to his team...rather overlooking the fact that Cook was instrumental in getting Pietersen his second chance back in 2012. If Cook no longer wants him in the team (not that we have anything but the word of a Mirror columnist that Cook actually issued the ultimatum being discussed...was he in the meeting ?) , surely there must be a reason ? Just possibly KP did behave in a manner that warranted wanting a prolific run maker out of the team ; or is it more logical to suppose that Cook just decided to weaken his team out of spite over...nothing ?

I have just about given up on this matter : everyone is entrenched behind their fortifications , and none of us are likely to change our views - anyway Pietersen is now injured so perhaps we will be able to take a few days off to watch a Test Match next week...

Amen to that Alfie.
westoelad

Postby Alviro Patterson » Thu May 14, 2015 3:53 pm

All about Adam Lyth making a good account for himself as England opener, this is another historical day for Yorkshire.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby westoelad » Thu May 14, 2015 4:13 pm

Alviro Patterson wrote:All about Adam Lyth making a good account for himself as England opener, this is another historical day for Yorkshire.

Hardly historical,there must be hundreds of Yorkshiremen before him who have won England caps. Thoroughly deserved nevertheless and,like Wood,deserved reward for being supportive non-playing tourists in the W.Indies.
westoelad

Postby yorker_129-7 » Thu May 14, 2015 5:00 pm

It's amusing really that, for me, there is one person who has been really badly done to in the last week by English cricket and Strauss, and that's Peter Moores. Very little time or sympathy for KP at all but Moores deserved much better than he got.
Anything can happen with a round ball.

Coz we're going up, and we'll win the cup, for Sussex by the Sea!

2011 Australian Open tennis prediction guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 Pakistan vs. West Indies prediction guru
2012 England vs. South Africa test predictions guru
2015 French Open tennis prediction guru
yorker_129-7

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England

Postby Making_Splinters » Thu May 14, 2015 7:47 pm

Moores was judged on performance, and rightly so. The leaking of his sacking was disgraceful but is sadly par for the course from the ECB.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby braveneutral » Fri May 15, 2015 9:45 am

Andrew Strauss - England's Dictator of Cricket.
Asia Cup 2012 guru
SA vs Oz 2011 combined guru
SA vs Bangladesh Tests guru
NZ vs WI Tests guru
2014 French Open guru
T20 Blast 2014 guru
India vs WI ODIs 2014 guru
2016 French Open guru
2016 Wimbledon guru
2016 RL50 Cup guru
Premier League Final Placings Prediction League 2016/7 guru
England v SA ODIs 2017 guru
Guru.

D/L wrote:Words fail me for once.

17/04/17 - 'The day that history was made'

20/04/17 - Better than Bolt.
braveneutral

Team(s) Supported: Northants amongst others.

I suppose.

At times.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue May 19, 2015 9:05 am

Looks like the slightly creepy Justin Langer won't be coach.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Aidan11 » Tue May 19, 2015 10:06 am

I think Dizzy will take it.
2012 TV Cup Winner
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
Aidan11

Postby Albondiga » Tue May 19, 2015 4:17 pm

Many people are expressing the opinion that there is no real job for Strauss or anybody else re Director of Cricket. I think there is because there are two main parts to it - there's the commercial side and all that entails and the cricket side from grass roots upwards.
At the top of the cricket tree should be -- the director -- the coach and the captain. They should be responsible people - be responsible for the England side and they alone should select the side (it seemed that nobody liked my suggestion to get the first class umpires involved in an advisory capacity as they thought they would be corruptible)

Their first action should be to get rid of the 'hangers - on' - The batting coaches, the fielding coaches, the bowling coaches, the dieticians, the anything else advisory capacity, the computers, the analysts etc etc
Cricketers improve by playing, practising and talking about the game so what we need is some good nets, some good cricket wickets and a few drinks.
Albondiga

Postby sussexpob » Tue May 19, 2015 6:28 pm

Many people are expressing the opinion that there is no real job for Strauss or anybody else re Director of Cricket. I think there is because there are two main parts to it - there's the commercial side and all that entails and the cricket side from grass roots upwards

Graves was appointed under the guise that he was a businessman, and the counties were crying out for a business and financial model that would bring in more cash. There are 14 board members at the ICC, I dont think that includes Emperor Clarke, who now sits with the ICC in his role as President, are the two aforementioned. There are three directors appointed to the professional game, who report to Harrison, who reports to Graves.

Now there is Strauss, who reports to Harrison. If he is to manage all the elements of grass roots upwards, then why are there two directors managing the non-professional game already? Ive heard he is to manage the womens game, so what is Rachel Heyhoe-Flint doing? If he is to run the national centre of excellence then what is David Parsons doing? He is director of ECB Performance Management?

So what Administration is Strauss fulfilling?

Put simply, it seems Strauss is being sold for roles that already exist, so who gets the final decision?
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby KipperJohn » Tue May 19, 2015 7:01 pm

Who has the final say?

Well presumably it depends on what powers the Board has delegated and to whom. The Board should have the final say on major strategic issues, but the day to day running should surely be delegated to the appropriate officials.
That's why getting senior appointments and their job descriptions spot on are so important in getting any organisation to work efficiently.

On another note, most good companies and organisations regularly survey their customers about what they want and the improvements they want to see. Don't hold your breath with the ECB!
KipperJohn

Postby Aidan11 » Wed May 20, 2015 3:18 pm

ECB have now confirmed they have officially approached Gillespie.
2012 TV Cup Winner
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
Aidan11

Postby KipperJohn » Wed May 20, 2015 3:24 pm

Aidan11 wrote:ECB have now confirmed they have officially approached Gillespie.

Presumably from behind.
KipperJohn

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket