Head of Sri Lanka Cricket interim committee reveals plans

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Head of Sri Lanka Cricket interim committee reveals plans

Postby ChrisQ » Fri May 15, 2015 6:31 pm

Well this is pretty interesting. The concept seems fairly sensible; structure pay so that as you go up each level you get more, rationalize expenditure, maybe introduce a second xi tournament for clubs, include the north and east in a more structured way in the domestic cricket system, and re-introduce four-day provincial first-class cricket (Sri Lanka are the only full member which currently plays only three-day first-class cricket and even Afghanistan, an associate, now has a four-day format for domestic cricket).

It remains to be seen what will happen though in terms of the buy-in by the clubs, players and other administrators (including those of the permanent board which will follow on from the interim committee).

I suspect though that while some players might grumble at the proposed reduction in the number of central contracts (from 108 to 40) to pay for increased salaries for the domestic players this will go through without too much trouble. Had this been happening in the West Indies though, we would have seen the centrally contracted players probably striking and many a brainless "fan" declaring how wicked the board was for cutting 62% of the central contracts and that rather than cutting the amount ear marked for central contracts, that instead the board should find some other way of paying more money (but of lesser value individually) to the wider pool of non-centrally contracted domestic players...possibly by cutting their own pay at the board. :no There would probably also have been threats of a strike. And were Ramnarine around definitely threats of a law suit.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/co ... 75395.html

'We should decentralise Sri Lanka's cricket'

INTERVIEW BY ANDREW FIDEL FERNANDO

Sidath Wettimuny outlines his plans to restructure the domestic game, and talks of how the board can cut costs and boost player salaries

Former Sri Lanka Test batsman Sidath Wettimuny, who, on March 31, was appointed head of the interim committee running Sri Lanka Cricket until elections are held, on what he plans to get round to doing during his caretaker stint.

You came in with a mandate to clean cricket up. What are the pressing needs in Sri Lankan cricket at the moment?

I'm not sure my job is to look at the past. Instead it's to look at how we can put processes in place to improve things, particularly on the cricket side of things. We've already started the process of putting indoor nets at Khettarama Stadium (R Premadasa Stadium), and we're working on increasing domestic player salaries. Those are things I think are desperately needed. We're also looking at our domestic structure carefully, and have a few proposals to make some changes.

Can you talk us through some of the changes you've begun putting in place?

We heard a presentation from Mahela Jayawardene about domestic cricket, and in it he said that we have a lot of quantity, but we're sacrificing on quality. We feel that at each level of the game there must be a substantial jump. You must have a situation where a Sara Trophy (second division) player, aspires to play Premier League, and a Premier player aspires to play provincial cricket, and a provincial player, aspires to play Test cricket. We need to show the difference in quality of cricket, and also via remuneration. Earlier we had LKR 2500 per day (approx. USD 19) paid for players in Sara Trophy and Premier players. We've made a proposal to raise the Premier player's payment to Rs 7500 (approx $56) a day. I would said Rs 10,000 but we have to be cautious because of the finances. If you play for the provincial tournament, we will award a central contract to those players who don't have one.

If a player is playing in the Premier and the provincial tournament, he could make about Rs 1-1.2 million a year, until you aspire to play Test cricket. That's a decent amount. But the thing we're saying is that it's performance and participation-based as well.

That's a big increase in player payments. How will you bear the cost of the new salary levels?

Very easily. There are 108 central contracts at the moment. We're going to reduce that to 40. When we look at how that's done, we're spending more or less the same amount at the end of the day - but we've re-engineered it to reward playing and performing. We've also cut budgets by asking all the managers to look at areas where we can save. I asked for a 25% budget cut. They've come back with a smaller budget cut, but it's around Rs 44 million. We're also hoping to cut tournament costs.

There is no provincial tournament currently - setting this up seems like a priority for the board…

I'm of the same opinion as Mahela is, and Aravinda de Silva is, that we should decentralise Sri Lanka's cricket. Almost everyone who has played at a high level feels that we should have a system where there are clusters of cricket around the country. We are trying to go to the stakeholders and the clubs and say: "This is how it needs to be done. If we don't do this, one day we are going to collapse." Other boards have a simplified system, where we have a system where everything is run from Maitland Crescent (the Sri Lanka Cricket headquarters). You can't do that. The truth is I have no idea what's happening in Nuwara Eliya, I don't know what's happening in Badulla. We are kidding ourselves if we think we are being of service to cricketers in those regions, or getting the best available talent from those areas. This is something we have to understand, because otherwise we are going to lose out. It's a shame that we're already losing out. That is the biggest challenge - to convince our stakeholders that they must really rethink the way we're going to take our cricket forward.

The domestic system relies on many of the clubs around Colombo. How will you get them on board to begin a provincial tournament, where they would not feature?

I think that club cricket is the backbone of our cricket. Without club cricket, nothing works. I'm not saying we must devalue the clubs at all. I'm saying we must promote and foster the clubs - especially the clubs that have grounds. Once these World Cup funds come, I'm going to propose that we provide some funds to these clubs, depending on what they need to do to develop their facilities. We must pump money in there. I don't see anything wrong in giving Premier clubs who have grounds Rs 10 million to develop cricket. I think that's essential.

How will you accommodate a long club season and a provincial season in the schedule?

We've done a calendar now, and what we've said is that everything finishes by April 10. The last thing to be played will be the T20 provincial tournament. The four-day tournament will be concurrently played with the 50-over tournament. So, for example, a team would go to Pallekele, play the four-dayer, then play the one-dayer and finish. By doing that you save money. Before the provincial matches start, you play the Premier and the Sara and the club tournaments. We're not going to change anything up to that January period, but then the provincial games will finish the season's cricket.

Where would these provincial teams be based?

We would base the teams in Dambulla, Pallekele, Galle, Hambantota and Colombo - where we have grounds and facilities already.

There won't be any changes to the club tournaments?

Not this year. There is a view that the Premier tournament should be cut down from 14 teams to 12 or 10. I don't want to even think that far. I won't be there that long to make that decision. The guys who come in will have to study what happens in the next tournament and figure it out. What I think, the Premier teams should have is a second XI. That would allow the players not getting a match at the Premier level to play cricket and get back into form without having to look for another club.

One of the objections to setting up provincial bases around the country is that those bases are susceptible to local political influences, and Maitland Crescent loses control of cricket there…

I think that's a myth. We actually have no close connection with all those districts and provinces at all now. It's only by name. The only connection we have is when the time comes to bid for their vote, you then try and woo them. There is no proper micro-management at that level.

The lack of quality pitches in first-class cricket has also been an issue. How can you improve that?

I'm trying to see if we can give an incentive to the curators to create better wickets. Whoever prepares good, fast, even wickets would be eligible for a reward. In India, they're saying they're leaving a bit of grass, so we need to look into our own methods. Here, after the first over, sometimes there are spinners bowling. How can you blood fast bowlers when you're doing that? Part of the reason we have so many breakdowns is that our fast bowlers are barely getting through ten overs in a day. A top quick should be able to bowl 20. I was speaking to Stephen Mount, the Sri Lanka team physio, and he was saying that our players are not doing enough bowling and batting at the Premier league.

What will you do to improve cricket in the north and east, where there is a lot of passion for cricket but meagre infrastructure after the war?

Two years ago, when I was in a cricket committee, I suggested we play a combined north and east team in the Sara Trophy. It never happened. So we're trying to begin that again. Maybe for the first four years we say: "Points don't matter to you - you just play. You don't get knocked up or down a division. You just play."

The national team is heading into a period of transition. What can be done at a policy level to ensure results don't dip?

The gap between our first-class level and international level is pretty large. We don't have the batsmen and bowlers who are used to the long haul. To compensate for this, we need to give A team players time to settle in. If at all I can find fault with the last set of selectors, they were trying too many things, with the best of intentions. If you're selected to play in a three-match series programme with the A team, you feel you have to score runs in the first match, otherwise you're going to get dropped in the second and be history by the third. Then nothing's going to work. You've got to be told: "You are there, so settle in." We've already seen results. Kusal Perera was talked to a lot and told we were going to play him through the series. The man is on fire. You've got to give them enough exposure for long enough.

The previous board repeatedly clashed with national players on the issue of payment. Are the top cricketers being paid too much? Are they not being paid enough?

When you talk about too much or too little, it's always a comparison with the same professionals in other countries. If you look at it from that point of view, you could say maybe we are not paying them anywhere near the best. But if you look at how much they are paid compared to other employment in the country, you would say they're paid huge amounts. The key is to get a balance. As long as they are happy with their pay and they know that's what the board can afford, then I think both sides are happy. I think the current system is okay.

Test match attendance in Sri Lanka is very poor. Why is that, and what can be done to change this?

It's a combination of a lot of things. I don't think I have a ready-made answer for that. One is the marketing side, which must also come from developing these provincial bases and giving people ownership of those bases and getting them interested. I don't think the interest in the game has waned by any means - I think everybody watches it on television. Our climate is so warm, maybe you're more comfortable under a fan at home rather than at the ground.

One thing we could do is, maybe each provincial school cricket team can be given a ticket to watch the match in that stadium. That will then stimulate the interest. [The kid] might bring his friends or his parents, and then you get affiliation to a province. After a good day's cricket, maybe one spectator is born. We need to do things like that at the base level. We're seeking some consultation on the marketing side as well.

What's the latest with the interim committee's relationship with the ICC?

The latest is that we had a very cordial meeting with the ICC. Their concerns stem from some stakeholders writing in and saying there was chaos and so on. The ICC had legitimate concerns. The minister explained why he had to appoint an interim committee. He said it was for a short time, and now he has said that our committee will be dissolved by January, after which he will go in for elections. The ICC have agreed to release the funds on a certain basis, which is fine.

There is absolutely no doubt about our Full Member status. That's not in question. The only thing is, as an interim committee, because their [the ICC] constitution has changed, they think that we'll need to come in as just an observer. We told them that that is not in their constitution to do that. There is a dialogue going on. There is nothing drastically out of order. They said they do not want to jeopardise Sri Lanka Cricket in any way. They just wanted to find out what was going on. They wanted to find out what our financial requirements are.

ChrisQ

Re: Head of Sri Lanka Cricket interim committee reveals plan

Postby mikesiva » Sat May 16, 2015 2:12 pm

Not a great comparison, CQ...what's the SLC doing with 108 central contracts?
:)
That's another board which is dysfunctional...the Sri Lanka Cricket board.

Unlike you, I don't think the heart of the problem is union representation. If boards like the WICB did a proper job of running Caribbean cricket, there would be no need for players to be represented by the likes of Ramnarine.

Instead, WICB incompetence has resulted in them being saddled with a US$42m bill owed to the BCCI, which they have apparently accepted is their fault, if the latest exercise in WICB grovelling is anything to go by....

An interesting comparison is how the JAAA runs Jamaican athletics, compared to how the WICB runs West Indies cricket...one is successful, the other isn't.

For example, just a short while ago, the Jamaica Invitational athletics meet was held in Jamaica, and the Eurosport commentators were falling over themselves praising the Jamaican authorities for the wonderful fast track that was at the National Stadium. And not so long ago, the cricket commentators were once again complaining about the poor pitches that exist in Caribbean cricket.

When I was in Jamaica a few weeks ago, not one member of my wife's extended family was interested in the cricket, even when the West Indies were doing well in the final Test. But when the World Relays were on, and we were having a family house party, TVJ was switched on at the appropriate time, and every man-jack and woman-jenny was crowded around watching the World Relays, and loudly expressing opinions on the athletics on offer....
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Re: Head of Sri Lanka Cricket interim committee reveals plan

Postby ChrisQ » Sun May 17, 2015 3:32 am

mikesiva wrote:Not a great comparison, CQ...what's the SLC doing with 108 central contracts?
:)

Perhaps it has to do with the reason that apparently there aren't any contracts for playing first-class club cricket in the premier league? Unlike say in England or Australia (or at least with some Indian states like Maharashtra) where you can get central contracts from the county/state teams (so even if the ECB or CA or BCCI grant 20-40 central contracts, the number of cricket players who actually have central contracts (from the national board and/or first-class boards) to play cricket in England, Australia or India is actually higher than just 20-40 persons and can easily run into the low hundreds in the case of England). A lack of a fully professional structure at the first-class level would be a handicap. So having a large pool of professional players could serve as an equalizer of sorts, and might well have been part of the reason why Sri Lanka was able to maintain a test ranking in the middle of the table (ranging between being ranked 3rd and being ranked 6th or 7th) for so many years.

But now with the plan to pay players quite a bit more for the Premier League, then the first-class competition becomes semi-professional (at least) and each player should be looking to get around US$1,500 or Rs 202,500 between January and April and the need for a larger effective pool of contracted players is reduced. That's about Rs 50,000 per month for 4 months or Rs 16,875 per month for the year. By way of comparison Sri Lanka's minimum wage for unskilled workers is apparently Rs 6,500 per month and for skilled workers in industry or services it is Rs 9,500 per month. Note that the previous pay level (Rs 2,500 per day) would have worked out to about Rs 5,600 per month for the year for a player who played in every match for 9 matches in the season and with each match lasting 3 days. So quite a few Sri Lankan first-class cricketers used to earn LESS than minimum wage for their cricket and first-class cricket in Sri Lanka in that particular sense was amateur in nature (even if professional in all other aspects).

You should know this and be able to answer why they had 108 central contracts I would think, but then.....

That's another board which is dysfunctional...the Sri Lanka Cricket board.

Yep. Dysfunctional board is clearly why Sri Lanka were at one point ranked third in 2010 and ranked fifth until very recently. Clearly. Because only dysfunctional boards can produce such dismally ranked teams.

Unlike you, I don't think the heart of the problem is union representation.

Why am I not surprised that you seem to have no clue what I actually think the problem is? You really seem to have great difficulty getting what I write. Perhaps the nuance misses you.

You seem to believe that my criticism of the Ramnarine's style of union representation equates to a problem with total union representation. Sorry, but that's simplistic crock. I have NO problem with union representation (I actually like union representation) and I find it disquieting that there is no union representation in India for their cricketers.

What I have a problem with is union representation that:

- becomes rent-seeking (attempting to get money for pretty much doing nothing other than wearing the team shirt)

- becomes overly litigious

- panders to a particular clique within the union (note how the player strike in India was met with mostly stony silence from domestic players in the West Indies and in the case of some players, such as Tino Best, the striking players were specifically seen as being a bit unreasonable in going after Wavell Hinds for striking a deal which for the first time gave first-class players central contracts for their territorial/franchise teams)

When Ramnarine got a LONG overdue increase in the match fees paid to domestic players I applauded that move because really and truly that's what union representation should be about - ensuring that players get a fair deal. Not that players should get pampered and spoiled as if they were newborn babes.

If boards like the WICB did a proper job of running Caribbean cricket, there would be no need for players to be represented by the likes of Ramnarine.

Oooh! What a doozy! So I guess the absence of Ramnarine now must mean the WICB is doing a proper job of running cricket yes since the players no longer need to be represented by the likes of person such as him? And that these other boards that you infer have not being doing a proper job of running cricket (like Sri Lanka Cricket I suppose) must be facing union heads like Ramnarine now right? But wait! Who is the Ramnarine equivalent in the SLCA who dishes out lawsuits like they are going out of style? In fact, just who IS the head of the SLCA? I mean, I can't remember this person really featuring in any of the news on cricinfo whenever the players and the board have a dispute, so clearly whoever this is must be some kind of board stooge intent on suppressing players rights....

Gosh, the logically fallacy in that argument of yours makes me cringe.

Instead, WICB incompetence has resulted in them being saddled with a US$42m bill owed to the BCCI, which they have apparently accepted is their fault, if the latest exercise in WICB grovelling is anything to go by....

Given the (expectedly) simplistic analysis in your reply so far, this right here doesn't surprise me.

An interesting comparison is how the JAAA runs Jamaican athletics, compared to how the WICB runs West Indies cricket...one is successful, the other isn't.

Well since you seem to think athletics is a team sport and thus actually comparable to an actual team sport, discussing this bit with you is pointless.

By the way, the athletics example you tout so much is more of an example of certain coaches (Francis and Mills) getting their way rather than the JAAA being some supposedly super competent organization. For the most part this arrangement works...until it doesn't (like when Francis pulled Fraser from a competition recently).

For example, just a short while ago, the Jamaica Invitational athletics meet was held in Jamaica, and the Eurosport commentators were falling over themselves praising the Jamaican authorities for the wonderful fast track that was at the National Stadium. And not so long ago, the cricket commentators were once again complaining about the poor pitches that exist in Caribbean cricket.

The funny thing is that a lot of cricket commentators complain about the pitch no matter what happens. When England make 600 and WI make 700+ the complaint is that the pitch is a pan-cake (though it could also have been termed that the pitch was "great for batting"). When at the same venue England struggle to 250+ and all subsequent scores on the pitch for the match don't pass 200 runs the initial complaint is that the pitch is poor and deteriorating quickly and farcically. Forgive me, but for the most part cricket commentators generally are not commentators who I give much credence to since they seem to act as if cricket (a game in which the natural elements are a KEY part of the game itself) is played in a freaking bubble.

These are often the same cricket commentators by the way who bemoan draws by excluding them from their definition of a "result" (and often use the term "positive result" despite the fact that a "positive result" is only possible for one of the two teams in a match), even though wins/losses, draws and ties are all results in cricket and the only outcome that is not a result is a "no result" (pretty obvious given the term). But one would never know this listening to most commentators who often talk about a result and describe a draw as being the opposite of getting a result.

When I was in Jamaica a few weeks ago, not one member of my wife's extended family was interested in the cricket, even when the West Indies were doing well in the final Test. But when the World Relays were on, and we were having a family house party, TVJ was switched on at the appropriate time, and every man-jack and woman-jenny was crowded around watching the World Relays, and loudly expressing opinions on the athletics on offer....

Good for them. Nobody forces them to watch cricket and that is a game that clearly doesn't interest them any more than say rugby does. But this rather shows that instead of being actual fans of a team/individual that "every man-jack and woman-jenny" in that house (or rather at least some of them since it is unlikely to be all of them) were quitely likely to be waggonists who follow hype. How many of them do you honestly think would be glued to the TV (like true fans would) if the Jamaican athletes were coming in dead-last for each race?

For the most part, you can tell who are the true fans from the waggonists by the way they continue to be interested in and follow a team/individual and the corresponding sport - in 1998 everybody in Jamaica was a Reggae Boyz fan, likewise in 2006 everybody in T&T was a Soca Warriors fan; fastforward to 2010 and 2014 and in both countries you saw variable fan attendance depending on the fortunes of the team at the time (with attendance usually going down quite a bit once it was clear they could not qualify for the World Cup). The REAL fans came out to watch even when the teams had no chance of progressing to the World Cup. The waggonists stayed home and didn't even turn on their TVs.
ChrisQ

Return to International Cricket