Help!!! I'm now coaching kids cricket!

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Help!!! I'm now coaching kids cricket!

Postby Red Devil » Wed May 20, 2015 10:27 pm

Right, so I wasn't sure where this fitted best so I've put it here as it's probably most likely to be seen.

My son has started at cricket club (he just turned 5 years old) and I volunteered to help if required. the coach is away this weekend and I'll be taking the coaching.

Short term - if anyone has any advice or tips that would be great, also any links to coaching docs that might be relevant would be good. To be honest I was going to concentrate on fielding and a bit of batting and do the bowling myself.

Longer term, if anyone has any advice on coaching courses or schemes that would be great!

I guess I should say I'm based in Buckinghamshire which is basically just outside the M25 in north west london territory.

Many thanks for any help
FL Titles
2008 Ban v NZ ODIs India v Aus Tests India v Eng ODIs
2009 NZ v WI Tests NZ v India ODIs SA v Aust ODIs Aus v WI Tests '08/09 Premier League Football
2010 SA v Eng Tests County Championship Div 1 County Championship Div 2 India v NZ Tests SL v WI Tests
2011 CMS Cricinfo World Cup County Championship Div 2
2012 Pak v Eng Tests SL v Ind ODIs County Championship Div 2 Champs League T20
2013 Ind v Aus Tests NZ v Eng T20/ODI NZ v Eng Tests County Fantasy Manager County Championship Div 1 NZ v WI Tests '13/14 Aus v Eng Tests
2014 NZ v Ind ODIs CMS Cricinfo T20 World Cup County Fantasy Manager County Championship Div 1 Aus MB One Day Cup SL v Eng ODIs
2015 CMS Cricinfo ODI World Cup Eng v NZ combined Natwest T20
2016 Big Bash T20 Sheffield Shield Kia Womens T20 Natwest T20 Blast County Fantasy Manager WI v Pak T20/ODI combined Rio Olympics
2017 Womens Big Bash T20 Womens ODI World Cup Eng v WI Tests County Championship Div 1 Eng v WI ODIs Aus JLT One Day Cup Ind v SL Tests NZ v WI Tests Ind v SL T20s
2018 Aus v Eng ODIs Womens Big Bash T20 Trans Tasman T20s Sheffield Shield Pak v WI T20s NZ v Eng Tests Eng v Aus ODIs Royal London County One Day WI v Ban Test/ODI Combined Women's Super League T20 Natwest T20 Blast Caribbean Premier League T20 County Championship Div 1 Women's T20 World Cup '17/18 Premier League Fantasy Football
2019 NZ v SL Test/ODI Combined WI v Eng Tests Big Bash T20 NZ v Ban Tests ICC World Cup Single Wicket Women's Big Bash T20 All Year Fant Comp
2020 Big Bash T20 (Joint) SL v WI T20/ODI Bob Willis Trophy Natwest T20 Blast Aus v Ind ODI/T20 Combined
2021 Ind v Eng ODIs
Red Junior's Titles
2016 Eng v Pak ODIs (aged 6)
2017 Eng v SA Tests Ind v NZ ODIs
2018 Aus JLT One Day Cup
2019 NZ v Eng T20s Aus Marsh One Day Cup
2020 (Joint) SL v WI T20/ODI IPL T20
Red Twins Titles
2021 Aus v Ind Tests (aged 7) Ind v Eng T20s
Red Devil

Team(s) Supported: India, Manchester United

Re: Help!!! I'm now coaching kids cricket!

Postby ddb » Thu May 21, 2015 6:05 pm

How old are the other kids? 5 is quite young to do much but hit a ball.
Intent

IPL 2009 Prediction League Champion 2009-10 footy prediction guru Joint 2010 footy final placings guru 2010 Eng vs Bang combined prediction guru 2011 World Cup Fantasy
ddb

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu May 21, 2015 6:12 pm

BBC site used to have coaching info, but don't know if it age appropriate.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Alviro Patterson » Thu May 21, 2015 6:23 pm

Lucky kids having Red Devil as coach, soon they will be learning how to peak at the right time in Fantasy League competitions ;)
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby meninblue » Thu May 21, 2015 7:03 pm

I have done coaching for couple of seasons at club cricket so i do have some advice.

(1)I assume that you are coaching age group 5+. We coach such age group club cricketers with synthetic cricket balls as they are not as hard as season balls but at same time it makes their hands to get used to hardness of synthetic ones for future years in club cricket.

(2)When we coach the kids who are looking to enter the Mumbai U-19 squads, we stress that they bat long hours because in three day qualifiers they will have to bat long time to score 150+ or 200+ which is norm at those tournaments from the top scorers. Their nets are scheduled into two sessions per day, one in early morning and the other in evening. If the club cricketers you are coaching are not looking to make any state level tournament squads then you can arrange the usual one session per day.

(3)The nets should start on time to put punctuality into the club cricketers at young age. Do not wait for late comers. Commence the nets with some jogging, follow it with stretching exercises, making them run between cones, or place a ladder or such structure and make them hop into each ladder box and cross the ladder. In initial net sessions make them play only underarm. Then gradually ask them to throw the ball rather than bowling over arm. Give them knocking practice, Shadow batting. Show them how to stretch and bend while ensuring that back foot is not dragged up from the ground.

(4)How to grip the bat is the most basic step in coaching this age group. It makes lot of difference. Ensure that this is the first thing you coach to the kids as far as batting is concerned. Check the grip between their hands, the position of the hands.

(5)Fielding practice is best done with synthetic balls at this age group to begin with.

let me know the age group, i will contribute with other techniques and approach.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby yuppie » Thu May 21, 2015 8:39 pm

Red, if the kids are young, make sure its fun, keep all involved and don't play favorites. Keep it simple, keep it moving, and put no pressure on the kids.

How many kids are there? Keep groups small, use other parents for help to oversea things.

If the kids are under 10, look at kanga cricket maybe, have done that with young kids in the past

http://www.sports.det.nsw.edu.au/sports ... _kanga.htm

Been a long time since i used to work in this field, but if you are enjoying it, then the kids will almost certainly be as well.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby Red Devil » Thu May 21, 2015 8:51 pm

Thanks guys, I'm only starting with 5 year olds - maybe 6 year olds a bit.

I've already noticed that they tend to play the slog to cow corner - getting my son to play the ball on the off-side is proving challenging!

I'll take a look at the link from yuppie - I can't find anything on BBC. Did find that Bucks cricket have some courses but it looks like it'd be about £400 - not sure the club will go for that as ideally we want something that all of the youth coaches can do and there would be about 6 of us
FL Titles
2009 NZ v WI Tests NZ v India ODIs SA v Aust ODIs Aus v WI Tests '08/09 Premier League Football
2010 SA v Eng Tests County Championship Div 1 County Championship Div 2 India v NZ Tests SL v WI Tests
2013 Ind v Aus Tests NZ v Eng T20/ODI NZ v Eng Tests County Fantasy Manager County Championship Div 1 NZ v WI Tests '13/14 Aus v Eng Tests
2014 NZ v Ind ODIs CMS Cricinfo T20 World Cup County Fantasy Manager County Championship Div 1 Aus MB One Day Cup SL v Eng ODIs
2016 Big Bash T20 Sheffield Shield Kia Womens T20 Natwest T20 Blast County Fantasy Manager WI v Pak T20/ODI combined Rio Olympics
2017 Womens Big Bash T20 Womens ODI World Cup Eng v WI Tests County Championship Div 1 Eng v WI ODIs Aus JLT One Day Cup Ind v SL Tests NZ v WI Tests Ind v SL T20s
2018 Aus v Eng ODIs Womens Big Bash T20 Trans Tasman T20s Sheffield Shield Pak v WI T20s NZ v Eng Tests Eng v Aus ODIs Royal London County One Day WI v Ban Test/ODI Combined Women's Super League T20 Natwest T20 Blast Caribbean Premier League T20 County Championship Div 1 Women's T20 World Cup '17/18 Premier League Fantasy Football
2019 NZ v SL Test/ODI Combined WI v Eng Tests Big Bash T20 NZ v Ban Tests ICC World Cup Single Wicket Women's Big Bash T20 All Year Fant Comp
2020 Big Bash T20 (Joint) SL v WI T20/ODI Bob Willis Trophy Natwest T20 Blast Aus v Ind ODI/T20 Combined
2021 Ind v Eng ODIs
Red Junior's Titles
2018 Aus JLT One Day Cup
Red Twins Titles
Red Devil

Postby Gingerfinch » Thu May 21, 2015 9:06 pm

Good luck Red. You must have lots of patience.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby braveneutral » Fri May 22, 2015 7:54 am

Most counties off in house training to become an ECB Level 1 coach. There is some cost normally attached but I didn't think if was that much. It also tends to be an evening a week for a few months or something like that.
Asia Cup 2012 guru
SA vs Oz 2011 combined guru
SA vs Bangladesh Tests guru
NZ vs WI Tests guru
2014 French Open guru
T20 Blast 2014 guru
India vs WI ODIs 2014 guru
2016 French Open guru
2016 Wimbledon guru
2016 RL50 Cup guru
Premier League Final Placings Prediction League 2016/7 guru
England v SA ODIs 2017 guru
Guru.

D/L wrote:Words fail me for once.

17/04/17 - 'The day that history was made'

20/04/17 - Better than Bolt.
braveneutral

Team(s) Supported: Northants amongst others.

I suppose.

At times.

Postby Making_Splinters » Sat May 23, 2015 6:28 pm

From the sounds of things you'd be best suited looking at the Community coaching courses the ECB offer, most Counties have equivalents on offer too.

http://www.ecb.co.uk/development/coaching/community-coaching

Not going to be coaching this season after somewhat destroying my knee over the winter.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby meninblue » Sun May 24, 2015 8:27 pm

There is nothing to be coached technically to kids aged 5 years. Ideally they should be coached at 10 years or so. None of those age bowlers wont be able to bowl even half pitch with the season ball as well.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun May 24, 2015 10:36 pm

Got to be serious here, no one should be coaching 5 year old.
Literally just let them play and have fun.
The only thing you can do is make and create lots of games which the kids enjoy.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Red Devil » Tue May 26, 2015 10:34 pm

I resorted to basically getting them used to fielding drills - throwing at the stumps, catching, chasing the ball. Then they took turns at batting and I did the 'bowling' while the other kids fielded.

I tried getting the kids to bowl but that didn't really work. What was interesting was that the other kids stood still and bowled underarm or overarm, but when i asked my boy to have a go at bowling he wandered off and i asked him where he was going so he said 'I'm bowling'! He came running in, managed to let go of the ball in the right place and with some speed - ran through the crease rather than stopping - and got the ball down pretty close to the stumps for a few balls in a row! That took me by surprise - just need to straighten that arm up now, cock that wrist and get a bit of a leap in at the crease and India's bowling worries may ease in a few years!

Interestingly, there was a girl who played good straight drives but missed the ball if you dropped it short, whereas the boys missed the ball when it was full but slogged to cow corner quite happily when you bowl short.
FL Titles
2021 Ind v Eng ODIs
Red Junior's Titles
2018 Aus JLT One Day Cup
Red Twins Titles
Red Devil

Postby sussexpob » Wed May 27, 2015 10:13 am

We used to take it in turns to coach the kid groups at our cricket club, it was really rewarding to be involved with, most are there for fun and well behaved because they are doing something they enjoy.

Essentially, we used to rotate different themes for practice, so at the start of every session you introduce them to a small but fundamental technical element that they focus on. As an example one might be the importance of watching the ball, how to stand, how to catch...nothing heavy. As you have noticed, most of them plant front foot and swing to leg side, so in essence you embrace that by teaching them how to connect with the ball. At that age, all they want to do is smash it, that is a victory if they get caught out 10 meters away from the stumps because they hit it that far.

At the end of them practicing a few drills with the focus element (so if its catching, they just throw balls at each other to catch, etc) they play a game where we put them inside the hall, and the coach would send some underarm throw downs with a wicket setup behind, and mats positioned upright around the outfield within sensible hitting distances. Each mat they hit scored different points, which were positioned in a way that made the cow slog the least profitable, and encouraged them to think how they could position themselves or their bat to find better results. All the other kids fielded, and if someone survived more than 2 overs they were retired to make sure those that inevitably missed the ball and got out had some time to play too.

They seemed to enjoy it, and they seem at that age to really respect you in the belief that you are Ricky Ponting or something.

I would say the most important thing is, make it fun, make it inclusive, but do attempt to teach them something that they can learn from and take away. As stated above, they seem to respect and listen to you, so whatever you say they will take note of.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Red Devil » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:26 pm

Thanks for the advice SP - I will take note.

I had a breakthrough with my son this week - Thursday i was working from home so i switched off the PC at 5.30isha nd we spent some time playing cricket in the garden. I asked him to only hit the ball on the off-side and it seemed to work pretty well after a bit of work on stance and bat positioning. He drilled quite a few through the off-side, however his first instinct is still the hoick to leg, but there was definite promise - also I think he was quite excited once he realised he could hit the ball pretty far playing straight or on the off-side as well.

Tomorrow morning I'll see if I can get the other kids doing the same
FL Titles
2021 Ind v Eng ODIs
Red Junior's Titles
2018 Aus JLT One Day Cup
Red Twins Titles
Red Devil

Next