England squad for Pakistan series

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: England squad for Pakistan series

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:43 pm

Neither were the NZ spinners that auspicious, but they won the Test. Before the tours of UAE and India, people were saying Monty was a waste of a shirt, but he was a better option than any third, or even (at times) second seamer. In India the pace bowlers hardly got the ball apart from a couple of days in Kolkata. England could have done with another spin option. I sense England are going to make the same mistakes again.

I'm not saying English spinners will necessarily win the series for England. Just that a seam heavy attack is far less likely. Chances are, we're talking about scales of defeat.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Making_Splinters » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:14 pm

The main problem is of course, English batsmen can not play spin. Last time Monty and Swann bowled very well and gave England a chance but the batting capitulated time and again. Has anything got better since then? Not by the looks of things in the Ashes.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:21 pm

Yes, it was a series winning performance from Swann, and belatedly, Monty, plus Broad. But the batters were hopeless. To be fair, the opposition were blatantly chucking, and that won't happen this time. But it will be a surprise if they score enough runs.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby m@tt » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:23 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Could this be Hildreth's time? Stoneman has had a few mentions.

I can't find a reference to a Lions tour on the ECB website, but there could be a next generation squad if there is one, with Abell, the Currans, Hain, Leaning, the Overtons, Crane, Robinson, Patel, plus a few more established names.

A squad (not sure if EPP or Lions) is going to the UAE and there will be another fast bowling camp in South Africa.
Andy Flower wrote:This is going to test my coaching expertise. This is the worst case I've ever seen.
m@tt

Team(s) Supported: .
England and Warwickshire.

Also tend to follow any former/current/prospective England players.

606 Username: matt_h88

Postby Slipstream » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:38 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Can you rely on Broad and Anderson to take wickets if there's no sideways movement? Maybe they'll get some reverse swing, but neither is Dale Steyn in that respect.

Panesar would have been ideal, bowling a lot of overs economically. Without him that means Tredwell, which unfortunately means two offies in the squad. But I'm not sure there's an alternative.

Steyn 32.78 in UAE
Broad 20.76
Philander 23.00
Anderson 27.66
Slipstream

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:22 am

And Shane Watson average 10.6. They've only played 3-4 games in UAE so averages don't mean a lot.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:40 am

Steyn's record in Asia is phenomenal. 90 wickets in 19 games, average 22, SR 40. In the last ten years, no other pace bowler comes close. Anderson averages 30, SR 65, Broad 43. Admittedly these (Steyn's) are improved by games against BD, but his record is better even if you take these out.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby sussexpob » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:51 am

Slipstream wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:Can you rely on Broad and Anderson to take wickets if there's no sideways movement? Maybe they'll get some reverse swing, but neither is Dale Steyn in that respect.

Panesar would have been ideal, bowling a lot of overs economically. Without him that means Tredwell, which unfortunately means two offies in the squad. But I'm not sure there's an alternative.

Steyn 32.78 in UAE
Broad 20.76
Philander 23.00
Anderson 27.66

Not sure how useful the stats are with concern to how the bowlers will fare on these pitches. A fair few bowlers have done well there, but I think that has more to do with the state of Pakistan's batting during their initial tenure in UAE. Since 2011/12 to this current year, Pakistani wickets are now 59 runs a piece as opposed to 33 a piece, a reflection on the increased quality in batting. Before that, they have been as low as 13 a piece over a series if you go back long enough.

Different batting beast England will face this time. Shafiq, Safraz, Shehzad are all emerging talents, and Younis Khan and Misbah are in much better personal positions now, bringing good numbers with the bat.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Making_Splinters » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:36 am

Pakistan, as far as I am aware, have never lost a series in the UAE. That is not going to change when England visit, largely due to our batting.

I see Cook has done his usual thing of completely over reacting to a situation and come out in the press asking Bell to not retire. Heap pressure on a bloke who is under pressure for his place. Top work Skip.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby sussexpob » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:37 am

Making_Splinters wrote:Pakistan, as far as I am aware, have never lost a series in the UAE. That is not going to change when England visit, largely due to our batting.

I see Cook has done his usual thing of completely over reacting to a situation and come out in the press asking Bell to not retire. Heap pressure on a bloke who is under pressure for his place. Top work Skip.

His usual would be to slag off his potential replacement in support of the guy in the team.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby rich1uk » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:38 am

Making_Splinters wrote:Pakistan, as far as I am aware, have never lost a series in the UAE. That is not going to change when England visit, largely due to our batting.

cook needs to make sure there is someone in the team with a worse record than him for the last 2-3 years so his place is safer ;)
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby greyblazer » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:43 pm

I know he is too young and all that, but from the few you tube videos I have seen, he looks promising to me. Of course, need to see more of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgPcVfgsmgE
England-WI prediction guru
SL vs Pak prediction guru
US Open 2009 prediction guru
Champions Trophy prediction guru
2010 IPL prediction guru
footy World Cup prediction guru
2013 India vs England ODIs prediction guru
greyblazer

Postby Dr Cricket » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:31 pm

Bumble likes him loads.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby greyblazer » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:36 pm

Youtube videos tend to result in cricketers looking better. However, I like what I see.
England-WI prediction guru
SL vs Pak prediction guru
US Open 2009 prediction guru
Champions Trophy prediction guru
2010 IPL prediction guru
footy World Cup prediction guru
2013 India vs England ODIs prediction guru
greyblazer

Postby captaincolly » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:41 pm

Apologies if already mentioned but the Daily Telegraph is reporting that the UK TV rights for this series might go to BT Sport. Sky have said they are confident of getting the rights but, according to the DT, no contract has been agreed yet and that has persuaded BT to try and muscle in.
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket