England squad for Pakistan series

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: England squad for Pakistan series

Postby Alviro Patterson » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:00 pm

sussexpob wrote:
Alviro Patterson wrote: Lyth was grossly underprepared for the summer internationals. Between the MCC Champion County match and the 1st New Zealand test, Lyth played in one CC game against Hampshire (Yorkshire had a bye week in early May). Between New Zealand and Australia, Lyth played a further two CC matches against Middlesex and Notts.

All being well Lyth can get some valuable time at the crease in Yorkshire's final two matches before the winter tours.

So two matches at the end of the year is enough time, but a test series and 3 FC matches in the middle mean he is grossly underprepared?

These excuses are laughable.

If he cant prepare for a test series with 5 games, then he is essentially written off every tour bar the latter international test series at home. He will only get a two day game in UAE before the series!!!

He averaged 12 in the Ashes remember. 12...... there is no excuse for that, regardless of how much you dig for one.

Two CC matches plus the previous Two CC matches and RLODC games since The Ashes finished.

Nasser Hussain highlighted Lyth's problem during The Ashes series and that is seeing the ball late upon the bowlers point of delivery, which is simply down to a lack of time at the crease. Hardly surprising when Lyth has been playing catch up this season - no cricket in April, 3 CC matches in 2 months between international series.

As Splinters says, I back Lyth to come good again and make an England return at some stage like Root and Bairstow have done. If not, then Yorkshire's chance of retaining the County Championship are only increased.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby Gingerfinch » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:01 pm

Ali to open, and bring in Rashid, or Hales to open, and Rashid for a seamer?
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby sussexpob » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:30 pm

Alviro Patterson wrote:Nasser Hussain highlighted Lyth's problem during The Ashes series and that is seeing the ball late upon the bowlers point of delivery, which is simply down to a lack of time at the crease. Hardly surprising when Lyth has been playing catch up this season - no cricket in April, 3 CC matches in 2 months between international series.

12 runs per innnings for a whole Ashes series.... best of 33. These are not figures that are improved or explained with any excuses. I would expect a test match quality player to wake up from a coma and bat better than that, let alone a player who had spent the winter with development squads, and had been working with the England setup.

This squabbling about how many games he played is in the end nonsensical. Those figures are a disaster, a cricketing titanic!!! He was simply outclassed, and deserves never to represent England again.

Are you seriously trying to suggest an extra game in April would turn him from a jibbering wrecking ball into Sachin Tendulkar? If so, why didnt his form improve at the end of the series when he had played 6 tests already?

Form is temporary, it seems Lyth's lack of class is permanent.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby hopeforthebest » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:34 pm

A sixteen man squad means a lot of thumb twiddling for a few players. Why so many are required for a 3 test series I can't imagine.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby Aidan11 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:22 pm

Ansari has injured his hand today while fielding.

Hopefully not too serious.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby mikesiva » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:31 pm

Aidan11 wrote:Ansari has injured his hand today while fielding.

it didn't look good....
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby sussexpob » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:32 pm

How are we going to cope without Surrey's second best spin option :scared
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:42 pm

sussexpob wrote:

How are we going to cope without Surrey's second best spin option :scared

Has he come out of nowhere? Haven't been following division two much this season! More next probably.

I guess he plays for the right county!
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby Making_Splinters » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:52 pm

No real surprises in that squad. Ansari shows how unclear England are on their spin options, Hales has made the best case of any opener domestically despite all the left field choices bandied about in the press and Taylor takes advantage of the chances he's been given.

The only real question is how they will fit the second spinner in the side: Ali opening, Radhid coming in for a pace bowler, Rashud coming in for a batsman or Rashid coming in for Stokes.

Any road up, this is a huge series for Ali, playing alongside Rashid is the first real chance there has been to question his status as England's number 1 spinner.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby sussexpob » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:20 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:Has he come out of nowhere? Haven't been following division two much this season! More next probably.

I guess he plays for the right county!

Well he came onto the radar last year when, with the bat, he did pretty well. His bowling has never really been much, not disasterous, but hardly proving he is a frontline bowler when you are taking 25 wickets a year. This year his bowling has improved seemingly, but 40 wickets in a season at mid 30's average in Division 2 hardly screams "England, select me". And his batting has been pretty underwhelming this year. No 100's and an average in the 20's.

Might take him out there to work with him, which is fine enough, but should he play it does worry me.

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:27 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:No real surprises in that squad. Ansari shows how unclear England are on their spin options, Hales has made the best case of any opener domestically despite all the left field choices bandied about in the press and Taylor takes advantage of the chances he's been given.

The only real question is how they will fit the second spinner in the side: Ali opening, Radhid coming in for a pace bowler, Rashud coming in for a batsman or Rashid coming in for Stokes.

Any road up, this is a huge series for Ali, playing alongside Rashid is the first real chance there has been to question his status as England's number 1 spinner.

Personally, I drop Bairstow, Wood, Stokes and Lyth (gone).

Hales
Cook
Taylor
Root
Bell
Mo Ali
Buttler
Rashid
Broad
Anderson
Finn

Reasoning is....

4 seamer if pitches are like they have been in the UAE is a waste of time. Mo gets the nod over Stokes as a spin option, Rashid has to play to be a second option with spin. The other seamers are the best England have and pick themselves.

Bairstow hasnt convinced against spin, not sure this tour is suitable for his return. Taylor at 3, give Bell his much better 5 slot. Ali in a proper batter position. This way the top 6 are also county players who are recognized batters too.

sussexpob

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:42 pm

One of your seamers isn't going to bowl. Spin represents a gamble because, in spite of opportunity, Rashid hasn't played, and there haven't been Lions matches to look at Ansari (say against Australia). But I'd play him instead of a seamer, probably Finn, because there will be more spin bowled than pace, yet everyone is picking more pace options (some as many as four). I'm tempted to pick Stokes ahead of Bell, who hasn't done well in Asia in recent times. Taylor in for Bairstow is a must.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Making_Splinters » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:28 pm

sussexpob wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:No real surprises in that squad. Ansari shows how unclear England are on their spin options, Hales has made the best case of any opener domestically despite all the left field choices bandied about in the press and Taylor takes advantage of the chances he's been given.

Personally, I drop Bairstow, Wood, Stokes and Lyth (gone).

Hales
Cook
Taylor
Root
Bell
Mo Ali
Buttler
Rashid
Broad
Anderson
Finn

Reasoning is....

4 seamer if pitches are like they have been in the UAE is a waste of time. Mo gets the nod over Stokes as a spin option, Rashid has to play to be a second option with spin. The other seamers are the best England have and pick themselves.

Bairstow hasnt convinced against spin, not sure this tour is suitable for his return. Taylor at 3, give Bell his much better 5 slot. Ali in a proper batter position. This way the top 6 are also county players who are recognized batters too.

While I would agree with playing Ali and Rashid over Stokes, I don't think it's likely to happen. Stokes doesn't merit a place on his bowling alone and Rashid is a more than capable bat.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Aidan11 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:29 pm

Media reports suggest Ansari is a doubt for the tour.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL