RIP thread

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: RIP thread

Postby Durhamfootman » Thu May 12, 2016 8:38 am

just seen this. very sad news
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby alfie » Sat May 14, 2016 10:15 am

Slightly surprised this hasn't had more comments. Very sad to see Cozier depart the stage at such a relative;y young age ...he seemed to have been around forever , so I'd actually thought him somewhat older.

He was indeed the voice of West Indies cricket : and his commentary was always measured whether rejoicing in the glory of the Lloyd Richards Holding Marshall , etc , era - or lamenting the struggles of recent years. One of the great commentators . RIP
alfie

Postby GarlicJam » Sat May 14, 2016 10:53 am

There is far more comments on another thread, Alfie - I think it is the random/general international cricket thread.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby alfie » Sat May 14, 2016 10:55 am

GarlicJam wrote:There is far more comments on another thread, Alfie - I think it is the random/general international cricket thread.

Ah that makes sense . Thanks Garlic. Haven't been on much lately so have a few threads to catch up on.
alfie

Postby GarlicJam » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:47 am

Max Walker - "Tangles" to many Australians - has died, aged only 68.

A proud Tasmanian, he never did play for his home state in Sheffield Shield as he had moved to Victoria by the time Tassie started in the comp.

Son of a publican, Walker grew up in and around a North Hobart pub, he played Aussie Rules professionally before concentrating on his burgeoning cricket career, and was a intrinsic member of the Aus cricket side in the early/mid 70's with his quality medium pacers (delivered in his unique style, hence his nickname) being a perfect foil for the pace of Lillee and Thompson.

As well as the above skills, he was a raconteur of note. He made his living post cricket on the guest speaking circuit, hosting a national sports programme, and was the author of several light hearted books. He would have many times been described in that fullsome Australian way - "a great bloke".

I supposed he lived the mythical Australian dream. Vale, Maxie.

I have had a couple of tears writing this.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby yuppie » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:35 am

Sad time with Tangles leaving the stage. Growing up he was one of the first names I associated with cricket. I remember going with my father to get a booked signed by him and he seemed to have all the time in the world to speak to people, as GJ says, a really good bloke.

He also did a lot with youth cricket. I remember there used to be the Max Walker cricket camps, as well as a few cricket skills books aimed at the younger cricketers.

He will be missed.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby Aidan11 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:29 am

I remember Max from the 70s when Australia played here. His long hair and 'tache stood out better than Lillee's.

RIP.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:48 am

I only remember Tangles a for a brief period towards the end of his career, but as they were my formative cricketing years he made a big impression, partly for his unusual, but very effective bowling, and also for his quintessential Aussie look of the time, with the unstyled hair and the big moustache and the billowing shirt.

I was vaguely aware of the Centenary Test, but by the time of the home Ashes summer of 1977, I was a big cricket fan, and Max has stayed with me, with his wholehearted approach in a losing cause. Lillee was injured, and Thommo, Pascoe and Walker was the attack, Walker eventually taking the new ball.

I guess he went off to WSC. The Oval Test was his last. He scored an unwelcome 78*, a Test best in his last Test innings, forming a big tail end partnership with Mick Malone playing his first. I'm surprised, given that he was a media figure in Australia, that I didn't hear from him again, but he always came readily to mind.

I see he had another career, as an architect, as was often the way with Australian cricketers back then.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby GarlicJam » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:31 am

Yes, he went to Melbourne ostensibly to play football (Aussie Rules) and went to uni at the time. He played something like four years of pro footie before having to give to give it up - being in the Windies on tour for the ACB (CA these days), and then having to present his thesis, was given as suitable reasons for giving up the football.

Having heard a fair bit of him, and about him, on the radio today, I was reminded of his architectural background. Not sure if he practiced it much though. I am pleased to see that the rest of Aus is as sad to see his passing as I have been. I think that he was taken somewhat for granted, never being a larger than life character - at any one point in time, but totalled up, he most certainly was. I think that Aus, collectively, now appreciate what we have lost.

I was surprised to hear that he wrote 14 books in total. 7 of them were described as bestsellers.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:35 am

The obituary I read said he worked for ten years.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby GarlicJam » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:20 pm

He was a continually busy man...
Maybe
GarlicJam

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:31 pm

GarlicJam wrote:He was a continually busy man...

In the architecture business...
Arthur Crabtree

Postby sussexpob » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:48 pm

Got to say, never heard of Max Walker. Then you look up his record, and start to think of why not......... Thompson is revered from the same era as some legend, but this lad had a better average at and a decent tally of wickets.

Why is Geoff Thomspon remembered so fondly? Just because he was fast?
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:28 pm

There were two Thommos. One before his injury (rated by some as the fastest bowler they have seen). And the one after his back injury that was never quite the same force. It's the former that people remember with awe. The latter was just ok.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby sussexpob » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:27 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:There were two Thommos. One before his injury (rated by some as the fastest bowler they have seen). And the one after his back injury that was never quite the same force. It's the former that people remember with awe. The latter was just ok.

Judging on his career numbers, he held a sub 25 average (my benchmark for world class) for all of 10 tests. So when people talk of "Lille and Thompson" like they were the boogeyman, really they are referring to 1 or 2 series in the early 70s. After that he became merely good and was slipping with every test match in the latter years, but nowhere near good enough to merit his place in history. I wonder how many 200 wicket test bowlers would be so revered on the basis of one good year. It simply wouldnt happen.

I mean lets be frank.....a legend in the new ball attack with you known for his pace and danger, pitches that at the time were quick, uneven and bouncy and being the quickest bowler ever before helmets and proper padding came into the game... An average of 28 is hardly anything of note. Id expect 100mph bowing with no bouncer restrictions or helmets to yield far lower wicket values than that!
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket