RIP thread

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: RIP thread

Postby Durhamfootman » Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:59 pm

El Tel, Terry Venables, 80, long illness

It hadn't even occurred to me that he could be 80

I'd forgotten that he also managed Australia
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:21 pm

Co-wrote a series of detective stories that were serialised on tv as Hazell.

One of the better England managers for me. But then he was preceded by Graham Taylor and succeeded by Glenn Hoddle, so maybe it's relative.

RIP.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby GarlicJam » Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:26 pm

I had forgotten that he coached Aus as well.

My one memory of Taylor was him being lampooned as a turnip on the back page of one of the red tops, after a particularly English loss.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby Gingerfinch » Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:44 pm

I was shocked to hear he was 80. Always acted and looked younger.

Euro 96 was a great time to be a Football fan. Although we weren't quite as good as people say, that Dutch game was a special night.

RIP El Tel
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:50 pm

GarlicJam wrote:

My one memory of Taylor was him being lampooned as a turnip on the back page of one of the red tops, after a particularly English loss.

Got a feeling he was a swede after England lost to Sweden.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby GarlicJam » Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:50 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:
GarlicJam wrote:

Got a feeling he was a swede after England lost to Sweden.

I just looked it up - the scoreline on another paper reads Swedes - 2, Turnips - 1

And as the purple bit was the only part discernable as a vegetable, it could have been a Swede or a Turnip.

Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:17 am

Seems there was a series of them. Dark days for the England side, but the tabloids were unnecessarily obnoxious.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby GarlicJam » Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:51 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Seems there was a series of them. Dark days for the England side, but the tabloids were unnecessarily obnoxious.

an interesting term.

Yes, I suppose there might be times that a little necessary obnoxiousness is in order
Maybe
GarlicJam

Postby GarlicJam » Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:53 am

not from the tabloids - they ARE unnecessarily obnoxious.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Postby sussexpob » Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:17 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Seems there was a series of them. Dark days for the England side, but the tabloids were unnecessarily obnoxious.

After 30 odd years the world has changed a lot, and people young enough to be in touch with modern culture, but old enough to remember this period, nowadays treat the level of distain Taylor received from the press as something shameful, and I have seen a few articles floating about the English football press in recent years attempting to re-examine his tenure, and to suggest that more than anything Taylor was unlucky with a series of brutal injuries and retirements to key players.

I guess there is truth in that, but there is also truth in the fact he made a string of really bizarre personnel choices, and the documentary that was released of his time as England manager post 1992 (Do I Not Like That) paints the picture of a man well out of his depth, and with nothing much inspiring and technically great to say, other than to mutter a few cliches or some other nonsense.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby sussexpob » Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:33 am

Call it blind nostalgia, but my overriding memory of 1996 was that it was arguably the last time I remember English people having a remotely default positive outlook on the world. There was something about Britpop that gave England its swagger and confidence back briefly, and in my head at least, I remember it fondly.

Venables and the team at Euro 1996 were an example of that. Surrounded either side by dour, pragmatism on the pitch spanning many years, at least Venables set up with a belief that England could win that 1996 tournament. At times we played really well, and its hard not to overestimate that drubbing of Holland, who were an absolutely brilliant side at the time. And while Southgate's losing semi-finals/finals left bitterness, when we lost to Germany I can remember having a sense of pride, like we had finally knocked off the cobwebs and had reached the elite table of world football after years of underachievement. That cross that Gazza missed by millimeters... if only... if only...

I guess for that reason alone, Venables has a fond place in my heart. Thanks for the memories, Terry. Rest easy....
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:38 pm

As England manager, he got them playing with more composure right away. His new picks were usually good, with Teddy Sherringham a stand out. They weren't one of the best sides around, but they usually gave a good account of themselves under TV.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Gingerfinch » Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:22 pm

sussexpob wrote:Call it blind nostalgia, but my overriding memory of 1996 was that it was arguably the last time I remember English people having a remotely default positive outlook on the world. There was something about Britpop that gave England its swagger and confidence back briefly, and in my head at least, I remember it fondly.

Venables and the team at Euro 1996 were an example of that. Surrounded either side by dour, pragmatism on the pitch spanning many years, at least Venables set up with a belief that England could win that 1996 tournament. At times we played really well, and its hard not to overestimate that drubbing of Holland, who were an absolutely brilliant side at the time. And while Southgate's losing semi-finals/finals left bitterness, when we lost to Germany I can remember having a sense of pride, like we had finally knocked off the cobwebs and had reached the elite table of world football after years of underachievement. That cross that Gazza missed by millimeters... if only... if only...

I guess for that reason alone, Venables has a fond place in my heart. Thanks for the memories, Terry. Rest easy....

Euro 96 was terrific. Like you say, the Britpop sound was in full swing and the sun seemed to shine for most of Euro 96. I was playing Cricket the day we (luckily) beat Spain on pens but watched all the other games down the pub, which seemed like the start of pubs being packed for the Football.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby alfie » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:34 am

Sad to see Terry has left us earlier than he might. One of my favourite managers - whether running England , Australia , or a club side. He seemed to be not just serious about winning but also someone who actually enjoyed the process - and passed that attitude on to his players. RIP El Tel.
alfie

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:48 am

Kissinger, the man who killed satire, is now also dead.
Arthur Crabtree

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket