Brendon McCullum

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Brendon McCullum

Postby The Professor » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:09 pm

Announced retirement today. Will quit all internationals as of February.
"It has been said of the unseen army of the dead, on their everlasting march, that when they are passing a rural cricket ground the Englishman falls out of the ranks for a moment to look over the gate and smile."
The Professor

Team(s) Supported: England
Kent

Re: Brendon McCullum

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:10 pm

I think of NZ as my other team, and in recent times Brendon and the Kiwis have offered most of the pleasure I've had in following cricket. Blood may have been shed on his ascendency to the leadership of the side, but he has proved a most enlightened premier. Not just in how he has been innovative, particularly in ODIs, but mainly because he helped detoxify the public perception of his side (in NZ), and provided a lead in that respect to other teams. He has shifted the image of the game slightly, which I feel has for many years been cast in the likeness of Steve Waugh's great, but pitiless Australian side.

McCullum, towards the end of his career played a few genuinely great innings that will make lists of the best ever played. But more than this, he arrested the acceptance that sport must be played as ruthlessly and aggressively as possible, and integrity was just the abstract windbaggery of losers and sentimentalists . And to me, that says something about the way life can be lived. He has delivered a particularly benevolent propaganda. He pushed against the tide. And if nothing else, he gave me a little hope and respite where I usually find antagonism and self interest.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby sussexpob » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:24 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:I think of NZ as my other team, and in recent times Brendon and the Kiwis have offered most of the pleasure I've had in following cricket. Blood may have been shed on his ascendency to the leadership of the side, but he has proved a most enlightened premier. Not just in how he has been innovative, particularly in ODIs, but mainly because he helped detoxify the public perception of his side (in NZ), and provided a lead in that respect to other teams. He has shifted the image of the game slightly, which I feel has for many years been cast in the likeness of Steve Waugh's great, but pitiless Australian side.

McCullum, towards the end of his career played a few genuinely great innings that will make lists of the best ever played. But more than this, he arrested the acceptance that sport must be played as ruthlessly and aggressively as possible, and integrity was just the abstract windbaggery of losers and sentimentalists . And to me, that says something about the way life can be lived. He has delivered a particularly benevolent propaganda. He pushed against the tide. And if nothing else, he gave me a little hope and respite where I usually find antagonism and self interest.

Well said. I wont waste words adding to what AC has perfectly summed up above.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Making_Splinters » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:09 pm

I think McCullum's "captaincy" is slightly overstated. He took over a Kiwi side that have one of the best batsmen in the world and one of the top pace attacks. While I do respect the way he played the game, I don't agree with some of the celebratory remarks that have been handed out.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby The Professor » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:01 pm

And today day he signs for Middlesex
"It has been said of the unseen army of the dead, on their everlasting march, that when they are passing a rural cricket ground the Englishman falls out of the ranks for a moment to look over the gate and smile."
The Professor

Team(s) Supported: England
Kent

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:23 pm

I thought he might sign for CC. Bit of a coup for Middx.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby westoelad » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:42 pm

He's still named in the 2016 IPL draft which means he'll miss probably Middx 1st 6 CC games.
westoelad

Postby dan08 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:53 pm

westoelad wrote:He's still named in the 2016 IPL draft which means he'll miss probably Middx 1st 6 CC games.

He's not playing in the Championship. Limited overs only.
2011 Sri Lanka v Australia ODI FL guru
2011 India v West Indies ODI FL guru
2012 Bangladesh Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 West Indies v New Zealand Test FL guru
2012 Sri Lanka Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 India v England Test FL guru
2014 Australian Open Tennis FL guru
2014 Australia v England T20 FL guru
2017 ICC Champions Trophy FL guru
dan08

Team(s) Supported: England, Kent, Malaysia, Manchester United

Return to International Cricket