A renaissance in Sri Lanka

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

A renaissance in Sri Lanka

Postby The Professor » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:21 pm

Wrote a blog a few week school back about a number of Sri Lankan players who have put in decent shifts for the U-19 team a single well as the Development Emerging Team but werent being given the opportunity to press on.

I have been proved wrong by today's announcement of the Sri Lanka squad where three of these names have been thrust into the limelight: Lahiru Kumara, Lahiru Milantha and Sandun Weerakkody.

I expect big things from these three. I paste the original blog below for more details.

----

National cricket associations now have an inbuilt hierarchy which allows curious kinks to emerge within their set up. Take Sri Lanka for example. In order of importance you have:

Sri Lanka Senior Side
Sri Lanka A
Sri Lanka Development Emerging Team
Sri Lanka Under-19s.

The advent of the Development Emerging Team as a concept is a fairly new fangled one but has been adopted by Sri Lanka, Australia and South Africa - albeit under the guise of slightly different names.

The curious situation is that the two least important teams have been playing far better cricket of late than their more senior cousins. To add a further level of confusion, the Sri Lanka A side that is currently playing against West Indies A contains a number of senior Sri Lankan players. Despite this they are still not playing particularly well and lost the second unofficial test this week. There have been no stand out performances or notable players that have impressed me in either of these games.

Wind back to the Summer when Sri Lanka Under-19s were touring England and the Sri Lankan Development Emerging Team were playing a quadrangular series with a South African Development Team and two Australian development teams (don't ask.) There were stand out performances aplenty.

Lahiru Kumara was excelled with the ball for the under-19 team. His team mate Charith Asalanka was called up the senior team but he was not. On top of this players like Sanjaya Chathuranga, Lahiru Milantha and Sandun Weerakkody were also outstanding for the Development team but are not even in the A team.

Why are established Sri Lankan internationals Dimuth Karunaratne and Kusal Perera playing for Sri Lanka A? The A team should be for blooding youngsters or for testing people who have just been phased out of the Test side. Kemar Roach is playing in the West Indies A side for just that reason.

I am a huge exponent of having a number of routes into the national set up, but we need to formalise the process and ring fence the selection. At the moment they are playing like four separate entities when they should be joined up and coherent.
"It has been said of the unseen army of the dead, on their everlasting march, that when they are passing a rural cricket ground the Englishman falls out of the ranks for a moment to look over the gate and smile."
The Professor

Team(s) Supported: England
Kent

Re: A renaissance in Sri Lanka

Postby Dr Cricket » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:30 pm

Are you sure you not confusing India with Sri lanka here.
since india team had a series with SA and two Aus teams recently in Australia.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby The Professor » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:36 pm

Very much so
"It has been said of the unseen army of the dead, on their everlasting march, that when they are passing a rural cricket ground the Englishman falls out of the ranks for a moment to look over the gate and smile."
The Professor

Kent

Postby Dr Cricket » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:45 pm

What you say make sense but quite hard to achieve it in reality.
For one Sri lanka need to find fixtures or actually facilities in Sri lanka so they can practice, a lot of the facilitates in sri lanka are very poor.
At the moment they only source of fixtures are England or other touring sides coming to sri lanka to play games.
Not sure Sri lanka really got the political influence or money to start touring other nations.

Might be wrong but doubt Sri lanka under 19 actually tour much outside asia considering only England got an under 19 schedule in the summer, don't think Australia play much barring the deal they got with India and South africa and they generally only happen before the world cup, haven't seen one for a while yet, last time Australia played under 19 at home, kuldeep yadav was still playing for india.

have sri Lanka Development Emerging Team actually played much games. never heard of them before, although did a quick google search and found they toured SA and played SA, Sri lanka and Zimbabwe.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/ ... 37199.html

looks like from google, Sri lanka found a deal for the emerging team since i believed they play games in Harare, Sri lanka and SA.

Really from the set up think the path works like this.
Sri lanka
Sri lanka A generally the fringe players or the people sri lanka need or looking for in the senior side
Sri lanka emerging thing
Sri lanka under 19.

Actually surprised me how much the minnows are doing in A tours and youth at the moment and they not even dependent on India, Australia or England for games.

if anything England are finding it more difficult for games at the moment.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:51 pm

http://www.supersport.com/cricket/domes ... _Sri_Lanka

Anyway since you follow the emerging thing more than I do, I only really follow the A tours and that mostly India or england as well.
what is the actual difference between A team and the emerging stuff.
considering Sri lanka, South Africa and Australia have them.
At the moment it feels like SA A is for the senior side with the emerging stuff full of youngsters but Australia mixed it up a bit with no clear guidelines of what the difference is.
at what one point Australia sent some players from england to india to play the emerging stuff because Australia was touring india soon.
Australia A actually had two tours going on at the same time.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby The Professor » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:31 pm

bhaveshgor wrote:What you say make sense but quite hard to achieve it in reality.
For one Sri lanka need to find fixtures or actually facilities in Sri lanka so they can practice, a lot of the facilitates in sri lanka are very poor.
At the moment they only source of fixtures are England or other touring sides coming to sri lanka to play games.
Not sure Sri lanka really got the political influence or money to start touring other nations.

Might be wrong but doubt Sri lanka under 19 actually tour much outside asia considering only England got an under 19 schedule in the summer, don't think Australia play much barring the deal they got with India and South africa and they generally only happen before the world cup, haven't seen one for a while yet, last time Australia played under 19 at home, kuldeep yadav was still playing for india.

have sri Lanka Development Emerging Team actually played much games. never heard of them before, although did a quick google search and found they toured SA and played SA, Sri lanka and Zimbabwe.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/ ... 37199.html

looks like from google, Sri lanka found a deal for the emerging team since i believed they play games in Harare, Sri lanka and SA.

Really from the set up think the path works like this.
Sri lanka
Sri lanka A generally the fringe players or the people sri lanka need or looking for in the senior side
Sri lanka emerging thing
Sri lanka under 19.

Actually surprised me how much the minnows are doing in A tours and youth at the moment and they not even dependent on India, Australia or England for games.

if anything England are finding it more difficult for games at the moment.

That's the same order I said
The Professor

Kent

Postby The Professor » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:54 pm

I think the Emerging Team is for people already established in that nation's Academy. A stepping stone up from U-19s. The A team is for players they are trying to get into the set up
The Professor

Kent

Postby Dr Cricket » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:01 pm

365notout wrote:I think the Emerging Team is for people already established in that nation's Academy. A stepping stone up from U-19s. The A team is for players they are trying to get into the set up

yeah that will make sense.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Return to International Cricket