Development of Women's Cricket

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Development of Women's Cricket

Postby The Professor » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:31 pm

Women's cricket has come on leaps and bounds over the last fifteen years but there is still some ground to make up.

In both 50 over and T20i cricket, women tend to be slow scorers, it's an area that needs improvement and I'm sure we will see it over time but it's not something that can be achieved overnight. Boundary hitting will need to improve but power hitting goes hand in hand with strike rotation & field manipulation - this requires high fitness.

Given the longer formats are not attractive to the young generation who may be potential life fans, there definitely needs to be an added focus in improving our T20I cricket.

We are seeing positive strides with media coverage as well. The current Australian Women's series with South Africa is free to enter. Seems a great idea but also something of a backhanded insult.
"It has been said of the unseen army of the dead, on their everlasting march, that when they are passing a rural cricket ground the Englishman falls out of the ranks for a moment to look over the gate and smile."
The Professor

Team(s) Supported: England
Kent

Return to International Cricket