Abbott & Rossouw: county or country?

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Abbott & Rossouw: county or country?

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:31 am

Lol SA are dead in the future, Abbott leaves makes it easier for Steyn to come back in and probably De villiers as well.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cric ... CMP=chrome

Some rumers that an SA opener looking for a kolpack deal as well should make it easier for De villiers to come in but doesn't help the team in the future though.

would be ironic if Cook did leave with Abbott considering both were seen as examples of White SA cricketers being able to play cricket for Sa if they did wait and both left.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/southafrica ... 74750.html

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Re: SL tour of SA, Dec 18 - Feb 10

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:28 am

Disappointing news.

First Test 5-fer for Kumara. Expensive but invaluable.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

SL tour of SA, Dec 18 - Feb 10

Postby alfie » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:04 pm

Really sorry to hear about Abbott's plans...

Can't blame him for looking after his family I guess - or Hampshire for wanting his services. But it seems a pity to have him lost to Test Cricket - and SA - just as he had apparently broken through. He bowled exceptionally well in Australia this southern summer , and surely was in the frame along with Rabada going forward. ( We all wish Steyn well in his quest to come back again from injury ; but , realistically , do we expect him to play many more Test Matches ?)
Given the amount of cricket being played these days I reckon Abbott had good prospects for SA over the next three years. But as I say it is hard to pass on guaranteed financial security.

Suppose this will lead to more discussion on quotas.
alfie

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:05 pm

Maybe if not for the referendum, players might have waited to cash in later in their career. But now they're kind of taking that last available train, which is right now.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby mikesiva » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:56 pm

A century for de Kock.
:clap
Bavuma or duminy will make way for de Villiers.

I am not surprised by Abbott. A lot of white south Africans have been migrating to Britain and Australia ever since Mandela was released from robben island. Several of them are my neighbours and I have worked with a few of them. I am surprised to find that a number of them still have apartheid views.

I am not saying Abbott is like that. But he is clearly one of those south Africans who does not believe in the new South Africa.
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:44 pm

mikesiva wrote:A century for de Kock.

I am not surprised by Abbott. A lot of white south Africans have been migrating to Britain and Australia ever since Mandela was released from robben island. Several of them are my neighbours and I have worked with a few of them. I am surprised to find that a number of them still have apartheid views.

I am not saying Abbott is like that. But he is clearly one of those south Africans who does not believe in the new South Africa.

I doubt any of it is due to the Apartheid, majority of people leave SA because of money, and a better life away from SA.
Why live in a country that declining in economy and got social issues.
Suspect majority of the South African would live in South Africa if they feel wanted and if the country economy had a better prospect.
Not a good sign when majority of the educated or skill people are leaving at the same time.

South Africa will be a far better country if the corrupted Zuma leaves.
you really can't blame people to leave if they can easily move countries, because any sane person would be moving out of SA at the moment.

Really the key point why people are leaving in droves is because with Zuma in charge SA will not give their children the resources, good life, good school, safe home etc that you will get anywhere in the world.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Making_Splinters » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:44 pm

mikesiva wrote:A century for de Kock.

Or maybe he's very aware that he's the one who'll be cast aside when Steyn comes back and will sit on the sidelines till Steyn retires. Given the option of a secure level of income and living that signing on with a county full time compared with being always looking over your shoulder, it's certainly a clearly tempting decision to make.

I really don't like your insinuations about Abbott there, Mike.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby mikesiva » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:56 pm

No worse than the insinuations here and in aspects of the western media that Abbott is being sidelined by the so called quota system.
8-)
The fact remains that Abbott is always going to be behind Steyn Philander and rabada in the pecking order because those three have better stats. Abbott is at least ahead of morkel now. This pecking order is on the basis of returns not any so called quota system.

Alfie has already pointed out that Steyn might be nearing the end of his career so Abbott will become a fixture shortly. But with the declining rand it's more lucrative to play for Hampshire than south Africa. It all comes down to money. Like pollard and Russell choosing to play t20s instead of test cricket for the west indies.

And if we can make insinuations about Bavuma getting selectoral preference because he's black and that passes without comment then I have no qualms about raising the conveniently ignored fact that most of these white south Africans supported apartheid before 1992 and they don't like the way south Africa looks now. It seems acceptable to make all sorts of insinuations about Zuma and black south Africans but to do the same about white south Africans is unacceptable.

Typical. ...
:halo:
But not surprising. I have lived here long enough to see these interesting contradictions. They were prevalent in the cricinfo press when they supported de Villiers demands to drop Philander for Abbott. Of course cricinfo conveniently ignored the fact that Philander had the better record than Abbott. ..and still does. Philander is outperforming Abbott in this series too.

I find the moaning by cricket journalists in England and India about selection in South Africa tiresome and boring. They seem to forget that not so long ago south Africa was suffering under a brutal discrimination called apartheid.

My son's best friend who is white with a saffer parent moved to South Africa a few years ago and is enjoying a much better quality of life as a result. He is much happier there than here in the UK. Don't believe all the negative publicity you read in the British press about Zuma. This young man is happier with the new South Africa.
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby Making_Splinters » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:59 pm

mikesiva wrote:No worse than the insinuations here and in aspects of the western media that Abbott is being sidelined by the so called quota system.
8-)
The fact remains that Abbott is always going to be behind Steyn Philander and rabada in the pecking order because those three have better stats. Abbott is at least ahead of morkel now. This pecking order is on the basis of returns not any so called quota system.

Alfie has already pointed out that Steyn might be nearing the end of his career so Abbott will become a fixture shortly. But with the declining rand it's more lucrative to play for Hampshire than south Africa. It all comes down to money. Like pollard and Russell choosing to play t20s instead of test cricket for the west indies.

And if we can make insinuations about Bavuma getting selectoral preference because he's black and that passes without comment then I have no qualms about raising the conveniently ignored fact that most of these white south Africans supported apartheid before 1992 and they don't like the way south Africa looks now. It seems acceptable to make all sorts of insinuations about Zuma and black south Africans but to do the same about white south Africans is unacceptable.

Typical. ...
:halo:
But not surprising. I have lived here long enough to see these interesting contradictions. They were prevalent in the cricinfo press when they supported de Villiers demands to drop Philander for Abbott. Of course cricinfo conveniently ignored the fact that Philander had the better record than Abbott. ..and still does. Philander is outperforming Abbott in this series too.

I find the moaning by cricket journalists in England and India about selection in South Africa tiresome and boring. They seem to forget that not so long ago south Africa was suffering under a brutal discrimination called apartheid.

My son's best friend who is white with a saffer parent moved to South Africa a few years ago and is enjoying a much better quality of life as a result. He is much happier there than here in the UK. Don't believe all the negative publicity you read in the British press about Zuma. This young man is happier with the new South Africa.

The fact of the matter is, Mike, that the quota system does exist, and so will naturally influence a selection to a degree.

I actually support the quota system, by the way.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby dan08 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:23 pm

Abbott and Rossouw both sign for Hampshire as Kolpaks.
2011 Sri Lanka v Australia ODI FL guru
2011 India v West Indies ODI FL guru
2012 Bangladesh Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 West Indies v New Zealand Test FL guru
2012 Sri Lanka Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 India v England Test FL guru
2014 Australian Open Tennis FL guru
2014 Australia v England T20 FL guru
2017 ICC Champions Trophy FL guru
dan08

Team(s) Supported: England, Kent, Malaysia, Manchester United

Postby dan08 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:28 pm

South Africa have lost Abbott, Rossouw, Van Zyl, Harmer and Viljoen this winter. They won't get many opportunities with SA these days and there's no doubt they'll earn a lot more in county cricket.
dan08

Postby yuppie » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:29 pm

dan08 wrote:South Africa have lost Abbott, Rossouw, Van Zyl, Harmer and Viljoen this winter...

That is really going to effect the depth for SA. The best teams have strong depth that helps cover injuries. Loosing 5 players in a season will be a huge loss for SA.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby dan08 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:33 pm

yuppie wrote:
dan08 wrote:South Africa have lost Abbott, Rossouw, Van Zyl, Harmer and Viljoen this winter...

That is really going to effect the depth for SA. The best teams have strong depth that helps cover injuries. Loosing 5 players in a season will be a huge loss for SA.

Probably only more to follow as well. Can't blame them as well when fringe players like Viljoen can earn over £100,000 a season.
dan08

Postby yuppie » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:37 pm

dan08 wrote:
yuppie wrote:

Probably only more to follow as well. Can't blame them as well when fringe players like Viljoen can earn over £100,000 a season.

Indeed, it will give these players some financial security.

Abbott seems like a huge loss. After 10 tests he has a strike rate below 50, test average below 22. Injuries meant he would be getting more test time now as well. But as it stands he will be a huge loss to SA.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby alfie » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:46 pm

Abbott official then....ah well. A loss to SA , no doubt.

Not great for England though either if too many if these Kolpaks clog up the works. Imported stars are good for the competition on one level ; but they do also tend to block promising England players from taking up a leading role. A balance would be nice...
alfie

Next

Return to International Cricket