Hashim Amla

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Hashim Amla

Postby The Professor » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:58 pm

Amla is never spoken of in the highest terms but I still undeniably a great batsman and, statistically speaking, one of the best of his generation.

How will history remember him?
"It has been said of the unseen army of the dead, on their everlasting march, that when they are passing a rural cricket ground the Englishman falls out of the ranks for a moment to look over the gate and smile."
The Professor

Team(s) Supported: England
Kent

Re: Hashim Amla

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:48 am

A great I think. On the level of, say, Michael Clarke and Jayawardene. Maybe not a legend quite, like Viv, SRT, Bradman, Lara or Sobers.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby sussexpob » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:46 pm

A product of an era of rubbish bowlers and docile pitches, I very much doubt Amla would have survived in other eras. While there are exceptions, his finest test moments all seemed to come in easier conditions. The 300 at the Oval was made on a real featherbed (And he was dropped before he scored 50), his three in a row in India against a tired attack, with his back to back in the same tests coming in between an innings I think India scored 5 x 100s in....

Technically, with a moving ball and a decent bowler, he is suspect. He is a hand to eye player, little footwork, bit of a ropey backlift. And hes an average player of spin.

But one cant fault how he turns starts into scores. He has a great mindset to fight in all situations. Good player for me, but nowt special in an area where remembrance really does require you to average 50....especially if your the only one not playing against Philander/Steyn

As a ODI player he is really the other way...underrated. Got to credit how he changed himself so much to adapt to the aggression required for ODI cricket.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby andy » Wed May 17, 2017 4:27 pm

For me he's a very good test batsmen, but a magnifcent ODI batsman, who transformed his game to able to turn himself into a modern day giant in odi cricket
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Return to International Cricket