The Ashes Cometh.

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: The Ashes Cometh.

Postby Dr Cricket » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:52 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Ahead of the weekend tour opener, Finn and Mo have injuries. This is the Cricket Australia XI.

Jake Carder (WA), Jackson Coleman (Vic), Michael Cormack (SA), Daniel Fallins (NSW), Ryan Gibson (NSW), Nick Larkin (NSW), Simon Milenko (Tas), Tim Paine (Tas), Will Pucovski (Tas), Gurinder Sandhu (NSW), Jason Sangha (NSW), Matthew Short (Vic)

I've heard of two of these. No retired player selected just to embarrass the tourists as in days gone by.

Carder and short played in last year ridiculed team that they sent out for the pakistan warm up game.
from that list only really Gurinder Sandhu and Tim paine look credible players.

Nathan Coulter-Nile (capt), Will Bosisto, Jake Carder, Tim David, Kyle Gardiner, Aaron Hardie, Clint Hinchliffe, Nick Hobson, Calum How, Lance Morris, Josh Philippe, Mark Turner.

and Carder is in the other warm up game and he is with bosisto who is a regular player for the touring teams.
be funny if england mix up the teams again like they did for the WI warm ups.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1061 ... australia/
if you look at the last one day game warm up then you will see
Will pucovski, Jason Sangha and Clint hinchliffe.
Think we can safely say the game will be a shamble considering a lot of those players are not fit to play cricket for their states, let alone be practice for an international team.
many of the players haven't played much first class or list A games.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby m@tt » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:18 pm

Moved house recently and was given a 3-month free trial of Virgin Media - including TV, which was installed yesterday. Includes BT Sport! So unexpectedly get to watch the Ashes (legally). Quite glad now that it took 3 months to sort out!
Andy Flower wrote:This is going to test my coaching expertise. This is the worst case I've ever seen.
m@tt

Team(s) Supported: .
England and Warwickshire.

Also tend to follow any former/current/prospective England players.

606 Username: matt_h88

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:39 am

How much will you see Matt?
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby m@tt » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:46 am

Depends on the Test - 1, 4 and 5 start either 11:30 or midnight, so can get away with watching an hour or so. For all of them I can catch a bit in the morning.

Of course, this depends on how well we're doing!

And I'd expect BT Sport to have a much fuller highlights package. Though not sure who else will be showing them?
Andy Flower wrote:This is going to test my coaching expertise. This is the worst case I've ever seen.
m@tt

Team(s) Supported: .
England and Warwickshire.

Also tend to follow any former/current/prospective England players.

606 Username: matt_h88

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:14 pm

back in 2006, when I had sky sports, I came up with a cunning plan to watch the cricket. I set it to record; got up at 5am, and fast forwarded everything that wasn't a bowler bowling, a batsman batting or a fielder fielding... I even FF'd the bowler walking back to his mark. By 8 or half past, I had watched the entire days play.

Of course, this was 2006, so I very quickly stopped bothering.... including the highlights

dreadful
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:20 pm

I see that Stonemercenary has shown how well he can play against the highly potent attack of Turner, Morris, Hinchcliffe, Bossisto, David, Hardie, Carder and Gardiner

If Australia pick those bowlers for the Gabba then he might do okay

I'd like to think that the only test worthy bowler, NCN, made him look a little like a turnip
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby bigfluffylemon » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:25 pm

I don't think I've seen such pessimism ahead of an Ashes tour since the dark days of the 90s/early 00s. Then Australia were the best side in the world, with McGrath, Warne, Waugh etc. in their pomp, while England were amongst the worst, and Australia thrashed us at home as well as overseas.

These days it seems as though it shouldn't be so bad. England are actually well ahead of Australia in the test rankings. And there's a lot of similarities between the sides. They are both fairly tough prospects at home, but have both shown over the last twelve months that they are beatable home and away, are maddeningly inconsistent, and overly reliant on a few strong experienced players with quite a few gaps and question marks over the selection. When their key players fail to fire, they tend to go down in a heap, as while they both have some world class players, they are not world class XIs.

On paper, then, the doom and gloom around England's prospects seems too pessimistic. And yet as experienced watchers of cricket, and England in particular, we all find ourselves pointing towards an inevitable heavy defeat. The conventional wisdom seems to be that Australia's key area of strength, their fast bowling, will cut through England's key area of weakness, their top order batting, and without Stokes to bail England out, England will routinely fail with the bat. While England's bowlers are strong themselves in favourable conditions, they lack the pace to make decisive inroads into Australia's top order if the ball doesn't swing, so Australia are more likely to post big totals. And it's rare that a total of 250-300 in the first innings is sufficient to win a game in Australia - the Kookaburra ball and the conditions mean that, unlike say England or India, you rarely see low scorers where the ball dominates. Combine those two facts with the experience of two previous tours where England on paper sent much stronger XIs and were thrashed ignominously, the fact that Australia is a really tough place to tour, and the series always kicks off in Brisbane where the conditions (and crowds) seem to suit Australia best and be difficult for tourists to adjust to, and it seems hard to conjure up much enthusiasm for England's prospects.

The one big unknown in this is the day/night test, where some are saying that if the ball moves, England might sneak a win. I'm not so sure it will. While the Australia-New Zealand day nighter was a low scoring thriller, the groundsman is on record saying that he deliberately prepared a reasonable spicy wicket to make for an interesting game. In other D/Ns, like Edgbaston this year, last year at Adelaide, and those in the the UAE, the predicted low scores and bowler-friendly evening sessions haven't really materialised. I don't think that England's prospects are much better for that test than they are for any others.

On the other hand, I have a really hard time believing that it can be as bad as last time, because the last tour was possibly the worst tour that England have ever had in history (I remember looking up at the time, and statistically the only other one that I could find that came close was the 1985-86 'blackwash' tour to the West Indies, http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... ype=series). On their day England can beat anyone, and Australia are not so good or consistent as to manage 5 wins in a row - for at least one match it will come together so an England good performance meets an Australian average one, and England sneak a win. Maybe I'll be eating these words in two months. But surely Smith, Warner, Hazlewood and Starc are due a failure at some point?
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:15 am

Excellent summary bfl. That middle paragraph is just how I see things.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Alviro Patterson » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:36 am

Interesting to note about the pink ball when light begins to fade. Based on the Headingley Day/Night CC game this year, even on a dead pitch the pink ball moved about more in the air and provided a fairer contest between bat and ball. This was during the last hour under cloudy skies where natural light and artificial light transitioned. Who knows, England bowlers may well cash in on a humid or cloudy final session of play in Adelaide.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:01 am

England bowlers are getting a pasting, with just a wicket for Overton.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby yuppie » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:27 am

They have got 6 wickets now. They seem to be comepting well against the WA under 12 team.......
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby yuppie » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:34 am

Interesting to see that both Marsh brothers performed badly againts NSW. Hazelwood getting both for a combined total of 2 runs. Not what you want to score when the National captain is in the other team.

Maxwell made 60 coming in first drop, and Finch also got a 50 coming in at 5. Might Australia look at this option for the Gabba. Travis Head also made some runs to boost his chances.

Interesting to note, Jake Lehman, Boofs son made a 100 against Victoria. Has a better FC average than maxwell, Head, stonis, Neville, Catright, Wade ext. Possible outside chance.......?
yuppie

Postby GarlicJam » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:53 am

yuppie wrote:They have got 6 wickets now. They seem to be comepting well against the WA under 12 team.......

wickets don't matter. Time in the middle is what's important. ;)
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby bigfluffylemon » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:11 pm

Alviro Patterson wrote:Interesting to note about the pink ball when light begins to fade. Based on the Headingley Day/Night CC game this year, even on a dead pitch the pink ball moved about more in the air and provided a fairer contest between bat and ball. This was during the last hour under cloudy skies where natural light and artificial light transitioned. Who knows, England bowlers may well cash in on a humid or cloudy final session of play in Adelaide.

Shame Adelaide is the driest and least humid city in Australia, especially in summer...
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby yuppie » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:33 pm

GarlicJam wrote:
yuppie wrote:They have got 6 wickets now. They seem to be comepting well against the WA under 12 team.......

wickets don't matter. Time in the middle is what's important. ;)

Cook wont be happy then.......

Anderson got some wickets, for England to stand a chance he will need to perfomr much better than his stats in Aus. Avergae of 38 at a strike rate of 70.
yuppie

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket