The Ashes Cometh.

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

The Ashes Cometh.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:21 am

Thread for general thoughts as the Ashes approach.

Seems like the phony war has started in Australia, with Wee Davey claiming the Aussie team 'hates' England. And that the Ashes is war.

Expecting to see Warner walking out in Brisbane in khaki.

Looking at an article about Pat Cummins, he seems a decent fella. Hope he stays fit for the series.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Re: The Ashes Cometh.

Postby GarlicJam » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:38 am

funny how things are interpreted differently on the other side of the two ponds - I read (mainly heard, as I listened to some of the interview with Jim Maxwell yesterday) it as Wee Davey saying that Aus need to build a hatred of England.

ergo, Aus are underprepared already.

This is approaching rapidly, it has received very little fanfare down here (or, I am under-read), but I am sure that this will change rapidly. The various football seasons have not long finished, and cricket season has just started down here.

Maybe it is just me, not watching very much of Channel Nine these days. I am sure that this will change in the next few months.

One thing that has improved for Aus this time around is that (I think) they get 3 Sheffield Shield rounds before having to face the Poms.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:08 am

Davey thinks the Aussies don't hate the England team sufficiently?
Arthur Crabtree

Postby GarlicJam » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:46 am

He's only whacked one of them, hasn't he?
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:53 am

50% of the hatred of Jimmy the Saint retired with Braddin. That needs to be replaced. Are the other batter/keeper options up to the job?
Arthur Crabtree

Postby yuppie » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:55 am

The lead up to the Ashes has been a little underwhelming so far for me. The stupid tour to India arranged at the last minute has not helped either. I guess other than the Stokes incident there has been little Ashes coverage. Perhaps this is Warner pushed by CA trying to inject a bit of urgency into the marketing?

From the Australia perspective there have been some interesting comments from M Waugh and positions 6 and 7 for Australia. Paine has been mentioned as keeper which i would be happy to see. There is a slight problem though, and that is that Wade has moved to Tasmania, and will probably take Paines Shield spot. :facepalm I can not see how Australia can start this Ashes series with Wade, whos keeping has improved a lot, but whos ability to make runs seems to have deserted him. Back to Neville?

Waugh also mentioned Stonis for the number 6 position. The way it is looking at present it seems to be a 3 way fight between Maxwell, Cartwright and now Stonis. The last test at Chittagong was basically a shoot out between Glen and Hilton for the number 6 spot, and neither made a compelling case for selection at the gabba. Personally I think Head is also in the mix, being one of Australias most consitant one day players of late. But in that view I am in a minority of 1.

Australis other big problem at present is at the top of the order. Renshaw looks one for the future, but recently has not put the scores on the board. His position is in question and there is talk of Finch getting a test cap. Will be interesting to see how he does in Brisbane. Usman will bat at three and should have no problems making runs as he is back in Australia. unless the Sub Continent tour has left some lasting scars. Already scoring heavily in Australia, he will start in Brisbane, and Smith will bat 4 and Handscomb in at 5. At home i think Warner, Usman, Smith and Handscomb positions are all certain picks for the first few tests.

Bowling wise Australia has plenty of options, and can even cover a few injuries and still have a formidable line up. Starc, Hazelwood and Cummings will be the quicks in Brisbane. Siddle has returned from injury, Bird is still their usually carrying the drinks, and maybe Behrendorff might well get the opportunity to carry the drinks as well. Lyon has silenced all of his crictics now (even shanky), and now there is no credible alternative any way. Keefe has burnt his bridges and was not as good anyway, Zampa is a long way from test class at present and Agar though handy with the bat is not even close to Lyon yet. Of all of Australias bowlers, Lyon is now the hardest to replace. Funny what a winter in the sub continent can do for a player.

Well thats my thoughts anyway.
Last edited by yuppie on Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby Dr Cricket » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:56 am

TBH only really Davy Warner looks like a player from australia that will come on the other players team skins.
the rest are either too nice or not really sledging type players.
Khawaja said he hate australia when he was a kid because of the sledging, Handscomb/renshaw don't fit the bill, Smith doesn't really do it either.
only really Maxwell, Warner and Starc look like they will get under england players skins, the rest don't really play like an aussie team.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Dr Cricket » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:57 am

TBH the india tour was always scheduled at the time, if anything it was better arranged than the one four years ago where Australia played 7 odi and an T20 which meant Australian players had less shield time.
this time the tour is earlier for them.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:01 pm

Although it has been noted how quiet Warner was in the recent India series, probably doesn't want to bite the hand that feeds him.
Australia were well behaved in that series which was odd to see, don't actually remember seeing any sledging between both teams which is odd considering india vs Australia is generally a feisty series.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby GarlicJam » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:12 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:50% of the hatred of Jimmy the Saint retired with Braddin. That needs to be replaced. Are the other batter/keeper options up to the job?

surely Wade is even more dislikeable.

Hopefully he won't be in the team, of course.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Postby andy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:36 pm

IMO Nevil will be in the side for the first test, however i wouldn't rule out Tim Paine either..
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby yuppie » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:01 pm

andy wrote:IMO Nevil will be in the side for the first test, however i wouldn't rule out Tim Paine either..

Paine has to get shield time though, and im not sure he will get that now that Wade has moved.
yuppie

Postby Durhamfootman » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:47 pm

once upon a time I would have loved to see Paine play in the test side, but it feels to me as though his time has been and gone
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby yuppie » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:02 pm

Agree, continued injuries have stopped Paine getting more tests, and it does seem like his time has gone.

Probably why i would like to see him get some more tests now
yuppie

Postby andy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:39 pm

Paine's so much better with bat and gloves than Wade...surely he should be keeping for Tas and not Wade...
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Next

Return to International Cricket