All-weather batsmen watch

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

All-weather batsmen watch

Postby meninblue » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:54 pm

Not too many batsmen now-a-days are capable of playing both pace as well as spin well in pace friendly as well as spin friendly conditions.

(1)Virat has shown that he can play even on green mambas as we have seen on this tour of South africa. He is the top scorer from both teams.

(2) Cook has shown he can excel against pacers as well as spinner in India. Cook is the best foreign batsman who has toured India ever.

(3) Chet has shown that he can play both against pace as well as spin.

(4) Steven Smith too has done very well against pace as well as spin. His knocks in India show that he can excel in unfamiliar conditions.

(5) Hashim Amla has been superb in Asia. Also he has shown this series that he can score on tough wickets with few 50's on which most other batsmen are struggling to get even 10 runs.

(6) ABD too has shown he can bat on 3 green wickets in pace friendly conditions in this series against India.

Any other batters. Surely there will be more of these all weather batsmen. But then the proportion of these all-weather batters is so less that it is one reason why the teams are like lions at home and cats away from home.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Re: All-weather batsmen watch

Postby Dr Cricket » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:28 pm

Not sure I would class Kohli as a proven player in green tops yet.
Kohli is 80% there but with him being such an attacking batsman he quite vulnerable when the ball is moving and you still think you have his number in a green top.
Kohli definitely an all condition batsman if the deck are true and flat, then the country makes no difference to him he will score runs as his record overseas and in India shows.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby andy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:33 pm

Kohli dosen't convince me on a green top, and neither does steve smith.....

However Kane Willamson has the game and technqiue in any conditions..
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby Dr Cricket » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:34 pm

Not got the record though, Williamson is very root like, should have the game to score runs everywhere but doesn’t have an all round game plan.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:44 pm

The number of all conditions batsman is very low even the batsman you think have it on them do it, don’t really do it either.
Probably struggling to name 4 or 5 batsman that would bet my life and all my money on to succeed in all conditions.
The closest his smith but he would be a walking wicket if he played in India vs sa series.
From what i seen only really root would fit the bill and he disappointed me lately, Williamson as well but he goes missing in nz big test games.
In terms of ability Kohli tops them though but he the most vulnerable to fail though.
He got the smallest margin of error for the bowlers but he got the most weakness of them all in failing.

Pujara isn’t all weather Batsman, the way he bats and stance should mean he struggle with bounce and movement but like cook he does have the mental strength to score through that but hard to see him averaging 40 plus outside Asia but he is a batsmann tuned in to Home or Asian conditions, he will average 60-70 at home or in Asia since his low stance helps him score runs and survive the low bounce of Asia and very good player of spin.

Be intresting to see how Indian batting goes in England, hard to read their batting too much in sa because of the bowling conditions series.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby meninblue » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:58 pm

andy wrote:Kohli dosen't convince me on a green top, and neither does steve smith.....

Virat has batted well in this series. All the three tests have been low scoring.yet he scored one 150+ and 50. His other knock in first test was also decent. I would say he is all weather batsman.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby Dr Cricket » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:59 pm

Also think at the moment away batsman have it tough, not only do they have less practice and prep for overseas games they even get really tough batting conditions, only really Australia have true/flat decks at the moment all the rest are all tough on the batting, Although england are in the middle for this because batting generally been flat there but england is quite unique in that the ball is different to the rest of the world barring india where the SG ball is very similar so teams still have to adapt with the ball moving more in the air.
Although it isn't surprising that the two places batting is more true or more flatter are the two countries where generally the home advantage is the least effective (England) or Touring batsman generally have a very good record at (Australia)

when the conditions are flatter or good batting decks teams do score runs overseas, look at india 4-0 win against england.
Root averaged 49 in india, bairstow 44, hameed 43, ali 42, Stokes 38 and even in a series cook largely failed or struggled he averaged 36.

really the main point his that not too many flat decks are prepared anymore so you have to be a special batsman to even average 40-50 overseas now.
in the past you could basically be ok overseas and still average 40 overseas or in most series in the world in any conditions.
but now you have to play some seriously good cricket and be a world class batsman to even average 40 overseas now because the conditions and pitches are so much in favour of the home side or bowling.

Did say 4 to 5 yrs ago that tv ratings are higher on bowling deck test matches and that generally Bowling decks have replaced corporate wickets, the only nation the trend isn't been seen is Australia which is baffling considering who the hell wants to watch the crap australia serve at the moment.
Last edited by Dr Cricket on Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:02 pm

Someone looking at averages and the numbers and not the way he batted or the chances kohli been giving.
kohli failed in the first innings of cape town which was a very poor wicket and probably cost india the game as well there.
Wouldn't call Centurian a green top and that was the only game he scored runs in this series.
Although he did look good in cape town 2nd innings, but then the green top was gone.
would say you need more evidence from kohli that he can bat in greentop than just the one innings in johnnesburg which he gave 3 chances as well for the 54.
from the way kohli bats, I wouldn't call him all weather batsman either he more likely to fail going for the runs.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby meninblue » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:04 pm

Virats scores on the green mambas this series: 5,28, 153,5, 54 .

Subjectively he looked to me as best batsman of this series from both teams.
meninblue

Postby Dr Cricket » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:09 pm

Centurian wasn't a green top, plus he failed to go past 30 in 3 innings and failed twice.
plus failed in cape town first innings.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:14 pm

Also it shouldn't be forgotten although not taking anything away from kohli because that 150 was a special knock and a very good innings but that score was scored in probably in the most easiest batting conditions of the series although it was still very tough batting conditions but in all that centurian test wasn't a deck that would trouble kohli had no lateral movement either on the air or off the deck.
any pitch with lateral movement kohli still struggles even in Johannesburg kohl gave 3 chances for the 54.

on any deck without lateral movement, kohli will score runs home or Away but just like Steve smith if the pitch got any kind of seam movement they will generally struggle big time.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:14 pm

Centurian was probably the only deck in this series that suited kohli nicely as well.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby meninblue » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:27 pm

Ajinkya has the best average and one who I would usually back to be all weather batsman from India apart from Virat and Chet. However it seems that the ODI and T20 format is affecting his test match game. We are relying on just 2 all weather batters.
meninblue

Postby meninblue » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:02 am

andy wrote:Kohli dosen't convince me on a green top, and neither does steve smith.....

Steven Smith's case has come to the CMS panel. Need to prove Smith can bat on green mambas. Token No . 1 for this case. Case will be resolved in some tour this year.

Meanwhile Virat case stands dismissed because he has shown it this series itself.
meninblue

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:13 am

KP for sure. Had a poor tour in UAE (though nailed it in the ODIs) but did well in India and SL, and everywhere else.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Next

Return to International Cricket