All-weather batsmen watch

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: All-weather batsmen watch

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:19 am

He's not retired yet!
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby meninblue » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:41 am

Rahul has totally flopped this all weather batsmen test.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby meninblue » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:47 am

Yes, KP was all weather batsman. Second best player if spin from England after Cook. His knock at Mumbai passes him the test.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby meninblue » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:19 am

Awesome drive by Virat for 4. As if he was not happy with marks while passing the all weather batsmen test in first two tests, he is looking to score 100 out of 100. Poor guy does not knows I will deduct his 20 marks for his behavior anyways. No more than 80 marks for him even if he scores a 50 here.
meninblue

Postby Dr Cricket » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:02 am

nice to see the old vijay back, the old vijay is definately an all-weather batsman.
looked in poor form in this series and was having some trouble with his trigger movements which caused him all sorts of problems in this series.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby meninblue » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:22 pm

Virat top scores in a series dominated by bowlers.
meninblue

Postby alfie » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:46 am

Adi wrote:Yes, KP was all weather batsman. Second best player if spin from England after Cook. His knock at Mumbai passes him the test.

He was. Apart from that dreadful tour of UAE (and I guess he can be excused one tour !) he never seemed unduly bothered by alien conditions.
Of course he developed a problem with left arm spin but that seemed to apply anywhere so not related to "weather"...

Of the current players both Kohli and Smith still have questions about their ability to counter extreme swing and seam after their most recent experiences in England : but their records otherwise are pretty outstanding !

Williamson and Root don't seem to have particular "kryptonite" conditions ; but their overall records aren't as good as the other two. Amla strikes me as someone who can bat anywhere.

Not sure I'd agree that most countries are offering bowler friendly conditions these days. Spins like a top in Bangladesh ...and sometimes in India and Sri Lanka - but not always. Plenty of flat tracks on offer in Australia , NZ (depending on the weather) , UAE all the time , West Indies ...and they are hardly unknown in SA (though not this tour !) and England - at least in London. Reckon the mix is not unreasonable : both bowlers and batsmen are surely entitled to have some days when it suits them ?
alfie

Postby Dr Cricket » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:08 am

TBH when you put out like that it doesn't sound too bad alfie, must be a reason why not many all weather batsman though, certainly when I first watch cricket average batsman did still average 30-35 in all conditions at the very least, not anymore.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby meninblue » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:15 am

alfie wrote:
Adi wrote:Yes, KP was all weather batsman. Second best player if spin from England after Cook. His knock at Mumbai passes him the test.

He was. Apart from that dreadful tour of UAE (and I guess he can be excused one tour !) he never seemed unduly bothered by alien conditions.
Of course he developed a problem with left arm spin but that seemed to apply anywhere so not related to "weather"...

Of the current players both Kohli and Smith still have questions about their ability to counter extreme swing and seam after their most recent experiences in England : but their records otherwise are pretty outstanding !

Williamson and Root don't seem to have particular "kryptonite" conditions ; but their overall records aren't as good as the other two. Amla strikes me as someone who can bat anywhere.

Not sure I'd agree that most countries are offering bowler friendly conditions these days. Spins like a top in Bangladesh ...and sometimes in India and Sri Lanka - but not always. Plenty of flat tracks on offer in Australia , NZ (depending on the weather) , UAE all the time , West Indies ...and they are hardly unknown in SA (though not this tour !) and England - at least in London. Reckon the mix is not unreasonable : both bowlers and batsmen are surely entitled to have some days when it suits them ?

Virat has batted well in this series. I saw his batting on television. He was beaten but it is obvious everyone will get beaten few times on edge. Point is he fought it and survived and ended up as series top scorer. For someone who has not watched this series, i would suggest to check his scores. He is the highest scoring batsman of this series. Where a lot of batters have struggled he has scored runs at a relatively very high scoring rate as well.

Regarding Smith, Aussies will be touring SA and Smith will bat against same bowling attack of SA unless Steyn recovers. The wickets may not be doctored as much because Saffers probably know that Aussies are more used to such wickets than Indians.
meninblue

Postby alfie » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:21 am

Adi ? No one is saying Kohli hasn't played wonderfully well in this series are they ?

My only comment "against" him was that his record In England needs improving. That is statistically indisputable.

I think he's improved and has a great chance to show it in a few months. But as yet , he still has to do so...
alfie

Postby meninblue » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:28 am

alfie wrote:Adi ? No one is saying Kohli hasn't played wonderfully well in this series are they ?

My only comment "against" him was that his record In England needs improving. That is statistically indisputable.

I think he's improved and has a great chance to show it in a few months. But as yet , he still has to do so...

Exactly , he may have improved. He may well fail again in some series away, but that would not mean he cannot handle seam and swing. He has on this tour handled everything that was of help for pacers. He will fail in some series away, but due to form probably. I don't think he is going to flop on 2 - 3 away tours on a trott. At this point of time he has proved he can bat in situations which are heavily in favor of pacers. I don't recollect a test series in recent years which was as pacer friendly as this.
meninblue

Postby meninblue » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:24 pm

Virat is only batsman to score a ton in this 3 test series. Shows that he is way above the rest in tough conditions.

Amla too has passed the recent all weather batsman test. Has atleast 3 * 50's in this series. He played well.
meninblue

Postby backfootpunch » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:32 pm

Don't think pujara should be anywhere near this list
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

Postby meninblue » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:50 pm

backfootpunch wrote:Don't think pujara should be anywhere near this list

Chet has disappointed me in 3rd test. So I would also not have in my list. He had a poor county too and he had just one good innings.
meninblue

Postby backfootpunch » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:45 pm

Adi wrote:
backfootpunch wrote:Don't think pujara should be anywhere near this list

Chet has disappointed me in 3rd test. So I would also not have in my list. He had a poor county too and he had just one good innings.

His record outside of Asia is very bad

He can survive in seaming conditions but hasn't yet found away to score runs heavily
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket