Australia ball-tampering scandal

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Australia in South Africa in 2018.

Postby from_the_stands » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:37 am

Matt Renshaw is flying out to South Africa.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby meninblue » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:26 am

DISGRACED Australian vice-captain David Warner has further outraged devastated teammates by swilling champagne in the bar of the team hotel in Cape Town with non-cricket mates, foxsports.com.au understands.
Several of Warner’s already furious teammates have asked cricket bosses to have the disgraced batsman ‘removed’ from the team hotel, warning there could be an ‘incident’ between Warner and angry players if he remains.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/australia/aussie-cricket-cheating-scandal-david-warner-drinks-champagne-at-hotel-players-want-him-out/news-story/4d13aa1f3b1af2dc5412d38ea9479b37

Even if Warner writes a book on controversies involving him, it would be of 1000 pages. No need for filler images etc. So much in news with opponent players and now even team mates are getting frustrated of him.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby from_the_stands » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:30 am

This is quite a good article from the SMH, shedding a bit of perspective on the current crisis.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/steve-smith-has-done-the-wrong-thing-but-spare-me-the-hysterical-overreaction-20180326-p4z6b1.html

When I umpired the game, I encountered an instance where the ball was being tampered with. Sunscreen was being used in this case. Myself and the other umpire removed the culprit (who happened to be the bowler) from the bowling attack, and disallowed him to bowl again in the match (which happened to be a final). The fielding captain was somewhat embarrassed, not because it had taken place, but rather because of the clumsily way it was carried out, I'd say. To be fair, the bowler was an idiot. The difference here, is that the Australian cricketers involved in this are highly paid professionals. The lilly-livered manner to which the ICC handle these things is almost certainly why they continue to happen. When CA are finished with this, it will surely never happen in the Australian game again.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby meninblue » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:48 am

More talks regarding use of lot of tapes on Warner's left hand. it is being said that the tactic was to use the dirt accumulated on lot of tapes to rough the one side of ball.

Bandage.jpg

Once Warner was accused of ball tampering in second match, it is said that role was passed to Cameron.

Former South African fast bowler Fanie de Villiers says he instructed camera operators to look for Australian ball tampering on day three of the third Test, having suspected the Australians were using underhanded tactics.

De Villiers is working for a broadcaster in South Africa and claims he believed the tourists must have been up to something given how early they were getting reverse swing.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby sussexpob » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:00 am

from_the_stands wrote:This is quite a good article from the SMH, shedding a bit of perspective on the current crisis

The article was posted on SMH website during the evening in Europe, and looked a "lot" different to that one, weirdly. It was a bit off the cuff and more humourous, and also a lot more underhandedly scathing at the team.

Weird its been rewritten.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby meninblue » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:06 am

How SuperSport's cameramen caught Bancroft red-handed

https://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/Proteas/how-supersports-cameramen-caught-bancroft-red-handed-20180326

"We initially just saw that he had something in his hand and he put it in his pocket, but we didn't know what it was," Naicker repeated during the John Maytham radio show on Cape Talk on Monday.

"It was only when he later panicked and put it in his underpants that we got sight of the yellow tape."

Naicker added that they had been focusing on the ball while Australia were in the field since the first Test at Kingsmead in Durban when speedster Mitchell Starc produced a devasting spell of reverse-swing bowling which ultimately handed Australia a 118-run victory.
meninblue

Postby GarlicJam » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:37 am

from_the_stands wrote:This is quite a good article from the SMH, shedding a bit of perspective on the current crisis.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/steve-smith-has-done-the-wrong-thing-but-spare-me-the-hysterical-overreaction-20180326-p4z6b1.html

I prefer this one by Tracey Holmes of the ABC
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby pompeymeowth » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:17 pm

It's not cricket, the phrase doesn't hold much water anymore.

Sad days.
pompeymeowth

Team(s) Supported: Sussex. Cruzeiro and Pompey of course.

Postby captaincolly » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:52 pm

James Sutherland is due to speak to the press in just over an hour (18.00 UK time.)
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:18 pm

Surprising how much coverage this is getting over here. The story has been prominent on BBC news. Though it's possible it's in an effort to not have enough room to cover the referendum financing scandal.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby mikesiva » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:24 pm

Players going home. ...

Steve Smith
David warner
Cameron Bancroft

Players coming in. ...

Joe burns
Matthew renshaw
Glenn maxwell

Tim Paine is the interim captain.

Lehmann gets away.
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:27 pm

Maybe Lehmann will step down after the tour?
Arthur Crabtree

Postby captaincolly » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:30 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Surprising how much coverage this is getting over here. The story has been prominent on BBC news. Though it's possible it's in an effort to not have enough room to cover the referendum financing scandal.

Yes. Think it was the top story on the Sunday evening BBC news.

Sutherland is saying only Smith, Warner and Bancroft were aware of the tampering plans. All other players and coaching staff were not aware of them and reports that Lehmann has resigned are not true.
The 3 players are heading home and serious sanctions are likely - think he said they'll be announced in the next 24 hours.
Paine has officially been appointed captain and Matt Renshaw, Joe Burns and Glenn Maxwell have been added to the squad.
captaincolly

Postby captaincolly » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:32 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Maybe Lehmann will step down after the tour?

Quite possibly. Sutherland referred to wider issues with behaviour ( or words to that effect ) and didn't say anything about Lehmann's long term future.
captaincolly

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:05 pm

Hard to imagine all the players wouldn't know what was happening. How could the bowlers not know?
Arthur Crabtree

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket