Australia ball-tampering scandal

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: Australia in South Africa in 2018.

Postby m@tt » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:19 pm

Personally, I'd have gone with 6-9ish month bans, whatever puts them out of the (Aussie) winter tours and IPL. Allow them to come back for the next domestic season.

There are a few elements to the severity of the ban. It includes the stain on Australian cricket's image, and the in-progress media/broadcast negotiations. Then there's also the post-day press conference where they tried to come clean - there were a couple of statements that were misleading and the press release today says this was deliberate. That may well have turned the ban from 6 months to 1 year.

Overall, just one massive screw up and something cricket doesn't need. Whatever people think of Warner he's a damn good cricketer and Smith is just ridiculously good. It's a shame that they've screwed up their careers like this. Not beyond redemption, they can still add to their Test caps but how much will this change how they're remembered?
Andy Flower wrote:This is going to test my coaching expertise. This is the worst case I've ever seen.
m@tt

Team(s) Supported: .
England and Warwickshire.

Also tend to follow any former/current/prospective England players.

606 Username: matt_h88

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:26 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:At the end of the day it's another nail in the coffin of test cricket.

Although it has flushed out a lot of people who care, which is quite heartening. I didn't think this would be a news story in the UK, but it's everywhere.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:30 pm

m@tt wrote: Not beyond redemption, they can still add to their Test caps but how much will this change how they're remembered?

The only impediment that really meaningfully damages the game is match and spot fixing. The sport can't survive that. Memories of ball tampering will fade.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:34 pm

Warne and Waugh getting paid for access by illegal bookies is a huge deal, far worse than this. How many people look at those two now and think that these fellas were willing to jump into the pockets of gangsters? Almost no one. One is a national selector, the other is an Australian voice of the game. They both called an end to their careers in their own time.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby m@tt » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:44 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:
m@tt wrote: Not beyond redemption, they can still add to their Test caps but how much will this change how they're remembered?

The only impediment that really meaningfully damages the game is match and spot fixing. The sport can't survive that. Memories of ball tampering will fade.

I agree btw!

I said the other week that KP's sacking will be a caveat when remembering his career, but only a caveat. If Smith comes back and scores big runs again, it will be the same.
Andy Flower wrote:This is going to test my coaching expertise. This is the worst case I've ever seen.
m@tt

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:52 pm

I was far more offended by Saeed Ajmal's action.

Should do a piece sometime on things that have offended me in cricket... Most would be decisions by the ECB/

Who wasn't more offended by Pakistan's refusal to come out after tea about a decade ago (and then that the ICC changed the result to a draw!) more than the possibility they'd scuffed up the ball?

KP will be remembered for his sacking with sympathy by most people. That's what several polls at the time suggested anyway.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby captaincolly » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:14 pm

Interesting development - Lehmann has announced his resignation.
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby sussexpob » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:23 pm

m@tt wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:

I agree btw!

I said the other week that KP's sacking will be a caveat when remembering his career, but only a caveat. If Smith comes back and scores big runs again, it will be the same.

Kp was sacked for whistling, not sure this is comparable.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby sussexpob » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:25 pm

I'd give Smith 2 extra years for his OTT press conference tears. I'm 99% sure that was frankly embarrassing acting
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby Durhamfootman » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:34 pm

I'm not surprised by the Lehamn decision. It had to happen..... indeed it was always going to happen, I think. Even assuming that he did have nothing to do with the decision to tamper with the ball, he has to take responsibility for the way his team behaves under his leadership.

Smith breaking down in public will do him some good too, I think. It sends a powerful message to anyone considering tampering, of what can happen if you get caught. The ICC may not have ever really taken it seriously enough to impose harsh sanctions on players, but watching the best batsman in world cricket, fall apart like that so publicly, will send a powerful message to cricketers the world over. The prospect of public humiliation is probably a very good deterrent. It also convinces me that he really has learnt his lesson, and we will be able to trust him in future, once his ban finishes.

Warner has been very quiet. At no stage has his head appeared above the parapet. Something will burst at some stage.
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Re: Australia ball-tampering scandal

Postby sussexpob » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:31 pm

This is turning into "I am an Aussie cricketer, get a camera in my face and you will see my crying like a baby"........

Mick Dundee would be so disappointed.

sussexpob

Postby m@tt » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:03 pm

sussexpob wrote:
m@tt wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:

I agree btw!

Kp was sacked for whistling, not sure this is comparable.

I know! I was, and remain, pro-KP as far as that argument goes. But whatever the reasons, the fallout was not pretty and his book made it worse. And there was the texting stuff. That kind of stuff remains a mark on his record and some will give those things a lot of prominence when remembered him, but as far as I'm concerned it's his runs I'll remember.
m@tt

Postby KipperJohn » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:14 pm

sussexpob wrote:This is turning into "I am an Aussie cricketer, get a camera in my face and you will see my crying like a baby"........

IMHO the old macho image of the Australian male bas long gone and is not very popular with genuine cricket followers or the public. This a a nation which has apologised to its indigenous people and recently voted for same sex marriage. Yes the bbqs and beer are still rightly popular and sports like the AFL are tough. However you couldn’t wish for a more welcoming, kind, sensitive and multicultural bunch than those I’ve met in this wonderful country. I am not surprised in the least at the response over there- Garlic Jam and yuppie have summed things up with considerable literacy and understanding of why this goes to the heart of their culture.
KipperJohn

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:15 pm

Lots of tears shed today, how much sympathy should we afford them?

None I reckon, just for the type of people they seem to be. Feel alot of sympathy for the poor families who've probably had a shed load of abuse.

Still don't believe that the truth is being told over who knew about it.Three batsmen trying to get the ball to reverse swing, surely the bowlers would have had some input, after all they're the ones who have to achieve the swing. Lehman must have known aswell, he's just the type of dodgy rogue you can see plotting this underhand act.
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby sussexpob » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:37 pm

KipperJohn wrote:
sussexpob wrote:This is turning into "I am an Aussie cricketer, get a camera in my face and you will see my crying like a baby"........

IMHO the old macho image of the Australian male bas long gone and is not very popular with genuine cricket followers or the public. This a a nation which has apologised to its indigenous people and recently voted for same sex marriage. Yes the bbqs and beer are still rightly popular and sports like the AFL are tough. However you couldn’t wish for a more welcoming, kind, sensitive and multicultural bunch than those I’ve met in this wonderful country. I am not surprised in the least at the response over there- Garlic Jam and yuppie have summed things up with considerable literacy and understanding of why this goes to the heart of their culture.

Une petite blague, KP.....

If it happened to the England team, we'd just blame the person with the name sounding most ethnically Lithuanian, while the ECB rallied the press to support their captain's cult of personality.

sussexpob

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket